Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       end

Archive 2016 · Your favorite lens rendering...?

Phillip Reeve
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Your favorite lens rendering...?

timballic wrote:
That lens has to be THE No. 1 lens for "Wish lists", it's been on mine for years and years! Too expensive,(for me), and apparently hard to get a good copy, and very difficult to work on, from a repair point of view too.

I have a pretty long backlog of lenses I have planned to review for far too long, mostly Olympus OM stuff at the moment but also two or three Minoltas and one or two Sony FE lenses so I want to work on that before I get any new lenses. Have been telling myself not to get any new lenses for far too long though and still I bought a plain MD 2.5/100 and a OM 3.5/50 Macro plus 2.8/24 this month. So the Zeiss is not too high on my wishlist but it vertainly stands out as one and one day...

Edited on Oct 22, 2016 at 09:12 AM · View previous versions

Oct 22, 2016 at 08:57 AM
timballic
• • •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Your favorite lens rendering...?

Sounds like me, with that Vivitar Close Focussing 135/2.8 Not even on my radar, until I came across references to it while researching "favourite 135mm lenses", and found one to be available at the right price. ;o)

Oct 22, 2016 at 09:00 AM
wfrank
• • • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Your favorite lens rendering...?

Phillip Reeve wrote:
I have no personal experience with the CV 1.2/35 but I think the 1.7 has quite a bit more punch and smoother bokeh but it is more affected by the filter stack and the resulting field curvature can be detrimental to the bokeh at longer distances.

That's probably right and I think the bokeh from the 1.2 is rubbish if you dont focus on something very close (where it on the other hand is really really good). Colorwise I think they share characteristics though.

Oct 22, 2016 at 07:54 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Your favorite lens rendering...?

wfrank wrote:
That's probably right and I think the bokeh from the 1.2 is rubbish if you dont focus on something very close (where it on the other hand is really really good). Colorwise I think they share characteristics though.

You guys are correct. I almost picked one up, but it's a bit of a one trick pony. Have you guys tried the pentax 31 limited? It's pretty close to an rx1/cy 35/cv 35 zone.

Oct 23, 2016 at 01:27 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Frogfish
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Your favorite lens rendering...?

OK the thread title says 'rendering' as opposed to favourite lenses (though no doubt there is some overlap) so I'm going with that

My own lenses:
1. Cosina 58/1.2
This lens has followed me around for years. I originally bought it to adapt and use on a Pentax K7 but it's very sharp and renders people beautifully as well as having a wonderful bokeh and rendering of OOF specular highlights.

2. Pentax 77 Ltd f1.8
Simply one of Pentax's finest lenses. It's getting old in the tooth now and it's tiny MF ring (it's an AF lens of course) is detrimental to enjoyable MF focusing but just a beautiful rendering for portraits. I wonder if the Techart Pro could breathe new life into it on the A7rii ?

3. Zeiss MP 100/2
It's bokeh may not be quite as smooth as the OM 100 but it is quite flare resistant and the CA clears up quite easily in PP. It's sharpness is wonderful for use in mid-long range landscapes and I love it for people and detailing (clothes and architecture). Sharp transition gives it great 3D rendering.

Honourable mentions:
Steinheil Cassarit 100/3.5 (Soap bubbles) ! Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 50/2.8 (more Soap Bubbles) ! Lens Babies T/S Edge 80/2.8 (so much fun).
All those Leica lenses I haven't tried yet. All those Contax lenses I used to have for the Pentax and sold when I moved to Nikon .. if only I'd known the Sony A7r and A7rii were in my future.

COSINA 58/1.2

PENTAX 77 Ltd

Sorry - only have this one stored on SmugMug in this smaller size.

ZEISS MP 100/2

Oct 23, 2016 at 06:21 AM
joshinthecity

p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Your favorite lens rendering...?

Rendering? Easy peasy.

1: 50mm Summilux ASPH (on a Sony A7II)
2: The Zeiss 35 f2 on my RX1R
3: The 85mm G Master.

I could (and possibly will) shot the rest of my days with nothing more.

Oct 23, 2016 at 07:36 AM
taran
• • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Your favorite lens rendering...?

A shout out to the Nikkor 400 3.5 AI-s. WIth the APS-c crop, a nice "africa" lens, and perfect on NEX bodies, which have "one touch" MF, versus "two touch" MF on Alpha Sony's.

Was really disappointed Sony deprecated that feature, made MF so pleasant and easy.

africa 12.30.125030re by artistwithlight, on Flickr

Oct 24, 2016 at 11:16 PM
ZoneV
• • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Your favorite lens rendering...?

Favourite lens rendering, there is the Meyer Trioplan 100 mm f/2.8 my first lens I want to mention. The over corrected spherical aberration is often usefull for my images:

Trioplan Magic by Markus, auf Flickr

Flowers by Markus, auf Flickr

But the Minolta Rokkor 58mm f/1.2 is high on the list too - I like the glow:

Rokkor1 by Markus, auf Flickr

Rokkor58 by Markus, auf Flickr

The Canon FD 400mm/f2.8L has a ~neutral bokeh, but allows to get small DOF even with larger objects.

Outdoor Portrait by Markus, auf Flickr

On the bridge by Markus, auf Flickr

The Canon FD 300mm f/2.8 L is very high corrects, so it works better than the 400mm under harder CA risky conditions. Very clear images as a result.

DSC01625-50P by Markus, auf Flickr

Apodization was mentioned here in the thread, I own not one of those ready build one, but did build my own apodization lenses, here the Helios 44 with apodization film inside. Apodization is not suitable to all images, but sometimes I like it very much.

L÷wenzahn by Markus, auf Flickr

Nov 04, 2016 at 01:11 PM
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password