Good choice!

Oct 12, 2016 at 10:54 PM
Two23
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · First Lens Advice

rebelskyrot wrote:
Kent (I would quote you but I haven't reached 25 posts yet ),

I completely missed that, a lot of numbers have been floating around my head these past couple days. I ended up purchasing the 18-140 and the D5500 is set to arrive tomorrow!

You're all set then! The 18-140mm will do about 90% of what you want, maybe more if you aren't thinking of photo'ing wildlife. The lens is good for general photography, family snapshots, and also travel. I think you'll be happy with it, and you certainly didn't go wrong on the price. You can probably resell it later if you want and get back what you paid for it.

Kent in SD

Oct 12, 2016 at 11:10 PM
tdlavigne
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · First Lens Advice

I'd add a 50mm 1.8 to that just so you can play with shallow DOF. For the price you can't really beat them (AF-S versions can be found used for ~$140-150, sometimes less). Same with the 35 (although DOF won't be as noticeably shallow in most cases); so once you shoot a while with the 18-140, if you find yourself at a particular focal length in the zoom range close to either of those, then maybe consider picking one up later on.

Oct 13, 2016 at 01:51 AM
Charles Loy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · First Lens Advice

I have found the 18-140 is a great lens too. Recently bought this lens for the D500, a real value.

Oct 13, 2016 at 06:45 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · First Lens Advice

16-85mm. 200mm on a crop body is way too long for most use and mean the lens is even more of a compromise in performance.

I wouldn't recommend a prime lens to start with because you'll get annoyed with it. Now is the time to have lots of fun photographing any and everything to learn and a zoom will let you do that. If you get serious you'll end up replacing all this kit anyway.

Oct 13, 2016 at 07:11 AM
spoupard
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · First Lens Advice

Great choice! I have 30x40 prints hanging on my wall that were made with the 18-140mm and D5200. It's really a very nice lens.

Oct 13, 2016 at 08:18 AM
petterf

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · First Lens Advice

The 18-140 is a very nice lens.
Pretty compact, great image quality and a attractive price.

You will be very happy with it.

rebelskyrot wrote:
Kent (I would quote you but I haven't reached 25 posts yet ),

I completely missed that, a lot of numbers have been floating around my head these past couple days. I ended up purchasing the 18-140 and the D5500 is set to arrive tomorrow!

Oct 15, 2016 at 04:16 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.