New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Good UWA under $500

Michael Everet
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Good UWA under $500

What would be a good ultra-wide-angle lens under $500? I am looking for something under 20mm. I am considering the Rokinon 14 (the older version) and possibly the CV 14 II. I know both of these are compromises on the A7Rii, but how much? And what other lenses should I be considering? Anything in the 17-18mkm range? At this FL I am not concerned with AF.The lens would be for landscape, not astrophotography.

Oct 12, 2016 at 02:32 AM
JimUe
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Good UWA under $500

The Rok.

Oct 12, 2016 at 03:48 AM
mcbroomf
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Good UWA under $500

Yes Rokinon, and check the lens quality in case it needs to be exchanged as QC is not great. The 15mm VC II does not play well with the corners on the A7 series. When you get a good Rokinon though you won't be disappointed. Most other good alt lenses (OM18, C/Y 18) are both > $500 and still not as good in the corners as a good Rokinon.

Oct 12, 2016 at 09:04 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Good UWA under $500

Not many options. The Rok will be the best, but it's wider-- and 14mm vs 17/18mm is significant.

You can try something like a Tamron Adaptell2 SP 17mm f/3.5. I tried one out on the A7rII, it was fine-- but corners had some smearing, and getting a perfectly aligned/thickness adaptor was critical (one adaptor destroyed the corners, another made them pretty good). The lens was incredible on my 5D2, but with the EOS mount + EF>FE adaptor and high resolution sensor... it didn't thrill me as much. But, it's cheap: you can get one for like $150. It does have a lot of light fall-off! I was satisfied with it for messing around, but ultimately ended up going through a Zony 16-35 f/4 (awesome), and then Batis 18mm (world class).

You could try to find a good copy of the EF 17-40 f/4 and a matching adaptor. But it's just at or just beyond your budget-- and considerably bigger, and not the sharpest cornered lens in the world. But stopped down for landscapes it might be OK.

You can also try to use the APS-C 10-18mm Sony, which works on FF over about half of the range quite well-- but with never-perfect corner sharpness. It's compact, and native, and will send EXIF. Do a search and you can get example. It's probably the second best option compared to the Rok, to be honest, in your price range.

Ultimately, I'd go with the Rok. But you might be playing the copy variation game!

Oct 13, 2016 at 06:51 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Michael Everet
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Good UWA under $500

Thanks for all the comments. It sounds like the Rokinon 14 is the best bet. Now just to get a good copy.

Oct 15, 2016 at 03:55 AM
kevindar
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Good UWA under $500

there are good options on the used market for that budget if you have an adapter
tokina 16-28 certainly comes to mind, which can be had for around 500 in canon or nikon mount.

Oct 15, 2016 at 06:23 AM
coase

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Good UWA under $500

I've heard it said that the old Tamron or Minolta 17-35mm works well on full frame when stopped down to f8 or f11. Prices are usually under $300 used and of course you can adapt either the Minolta AF or Nikon versions to the Sony.

Oct 20, 2016 at 07:58 PM
notherenow
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Good UWA under $500

I had the Tamron 17-35 2.8-4 in Pentax K mount and it was quite nice on APSC.

I think it was also ok on my A7 (A7 and lens since sold).

I sold the lens as it was a waste of AF on the A7 and I had purchased some better lenses or was about to.

I have an old Canon 20-35 2.8 L that is broken. It wasn't the best towards the edges and would not be my choice on a A7Rii but I would love to get it fixed for my A7s. If I cant get it fixed at a reasonable price, then I am looking at another Tamron 17-35 2.8-4 but in Canon EF mount or maybe one of the other 17/19/20-35/40 type lenses. Most seem ok and I would prefer many of them to a lot of older primes.

I still have a cheap K mount 19-35 3.5-4.5 Soligor and it is ok stopped down for the (very little) money though mounts a bit loose.

Oct 20, 2016 at 08:56 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password