Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Mini Review on Newer D500 Battery Grip...

arbitrage
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mini Review on Newer D500 Battery Grip...

So I refused to pay Nikon $580CDN for a battery grip but up until recently it was impossible to get one of the aftermarket grips into Canada because Amazon wouldn't ship something with "battery" in the name to Canada. Amazon.ca finally started listing some of the grips.

I purchased the Newer brand D500 grip and have tested it today. I had a previous Newer grip for my 5DSR.

Pros:
The grip is very good quality. The rubber feels identical to the D500. The AF joystick also feels identical and actually looks like it must be the exact same part. The AF-ON and shutter buttons have a different feel than the D500 but still a good feel. The two command dials don't have the rubberized feel like the D500 but they function fine. There is one extra button up by the shutter button and it can be programmed to be the ISO button so that functionality is maintained and actually the position of this button is better than the ISO button on the D500 IMHO.

Cons:
Both of these cons I believe apply to the Nikon grip also as they are a design and FW issue.

1) The grip only allows one battery and that means you have to use one in the camera also. This means having to unscrew the grip all the time. I much prefer the design that has 2 batteries in the grip and the grip inserts into the cameras battery slot. Or even better like the Fuji XT-2 that allows 2 in the grip and one in the camera.

2) The AF selection button although designed exactly like the Sub-Selector on the main body, is programmed in the D500 FW as the Multi-Selector. You can assign it to select AF points as you would usually want to. However, you can't use it as an AF-ON button and AF mode change button as you can on the main D500 body. On the main body I use the joystick as an AF-ON/D25AFmode button. I was hoping that functionality would be mirrored in the grips joystick but it isn't and I'm sure it is the same on the official D500 grip also as it is set in the Menu.

3)One last con is no battery holder for D4/5 batteries.

Overall though I think the grip was well worth the $89 compared to the $579...
https://www.amazon.ca/Neewer-Battery-Replacement-EN-EL15-Batteries/dp/B01KQ7VFSM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1476238166&sr=8-2&keywords=nikon+d500+battery+grip

Oct 12, 2016 at 02:12 AM
runakid
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mini Review on Newer D500 Battery Grip...

You are the man- what a wonderful review.
dan

Oct 18, 2016 at 01:19 AM
runamuck
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mini Review on Newer D500 Battery Grip...

I have had the Meike version since it was available om Amazon. Working perfectly since day one. I sometimes think Nikon changes the bottoms of cameras around to force sales of grips. At least they are sweetening to bottom lines of companies like Meike, Neewer, Vello and others.

Oct 18, 2016 at 09:56 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password