New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Adorama Zoom Li-on flash & radios

EricJrSax

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Adorama Zoom Li-on flash & radios

Hi everyone. Picked up the D500 about a month ago,... awesome! Was wondering what some of you D500 owners are doing for speedlites. Coming from Canon, Nikon's lights just seems overly complicated and over priced,... even when compared to Canon. I first thought I'd give Yungnuo a go, but started looking at Adorama's Flashpoint Zoom Li-on R2 TTL (V860N II) http://www.adorama.com/fplfsmzl2nk.html and their Flashpoint R2 i-TTL Wireless 2.4 G Flash Remote Trigger Transmitter and Receiver (X1-N) kit http://www.adorama.com/fprrr2kn.html.

Adorama's product descriptions is not the easiest to read either. For example, will the 'Manual' version of the above speedlite, http://www.adorama.com/fplfsmzl2.html, work fine with the D500 if it's sitting on the R2 receiver above while the R2 transmitter is sitting on the D500? Hard for me to get a firm answer on that from Andora's site. I'm think,... the Zoom Li-on R2 TTL (V860N II) is basically what Canon's 600EX-RT is,... a flash with the transceiver built into it. Not very much in terms of video reviews and tutorials.

Anyway,... if any of you guys are using the Flashpoint R2 stuff, I'd sure appreciate some shared experiences and advice. Thanks.

Oct 11, 2016 at 10:23 PM
Iman113

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Adorama Zoom Li-on flash & radios

I bought this Flashpoint system about 10 days ago. I use it on a Canon 5D3. The flash seems better built than Youngnuo flashes and the Li battery lasts a very long time. I have a new grand-daughter so I have been using it a lot, both in manual and ETTL. So far it has worked great! Easy set up and use. Only issue that caused some frustration was updating the firmware, but I eventually got that to work, too. I purchased the receiver unit as well, and tried it with a Yn 600 EX flash and it worked, both in manual and ETTL. I'm planning to buy at least one more flash.

Oct 11, 2016 at 11:08 PM
EricJrSax

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Adorama Zoom Li-on flash & radios

Thanks Iman. Pretty much what I was hoping to hear. Did you control the YN600EX/R2 receiver with the R2 Transmitter, the 5D3's flash menu, or from the Zoom Li-on panel? I saw in one of the few video reviews I could find, that Nikon's on-body flash menu doesn't get along with Flashpoint's R2 system, which is why I was considering getting the kit with the transceiver and controller. Would rather control things from the controller than from inside the camera's flash menu anyway!

Oct 11, 2016 at 11:37 PM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Adorama Zoom Li-on flash & radios

I have 4 of the V860II-N flashes. The Flashpoint Zoom LiOn and Cheetah V860II units are the same except for the labels. I use them with a Nikon D5 and D800.

If buying from Adorama, be aware that they sell 2 versions....one runs on AA's, and the other on a LiOn battery. The LiOn version is well worth the extra cost IMO.

I sold my SB910's and PocketWizards after spending a few weeks with the V860II's. Absolutely no regrets. The V860II flash units have built-in transceivers that obviate the need for R2 receivers. Remote V860II's can be triggered with an R2 trigger, or with an on-camera V860II. Just be sure to get the Nikon versions.

Nikon's decision to control remote SB-5000's from the camera menu is a major fail IMO. Doesn't even work without adding another piece of hardware to the camera. What were they thinking?

Oct 12, 2016 at 12:26 AM
jrscls
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Adorama Zoom Li-on flash & radios

I sold my Nikon, Yongnuo and Alien Bees after picking up a few Godox / Flashpoint R2 Li-Ion flashes and a Flashpoint XPLOR TTL monolight. Really like this system.

Oct 12, 2016 at 01:30 AM
Iman113

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Adorama Zoom Li-on flash & radios

I controlled the Youngnuo flash from the Flashpoint transmitter. I haven't tried it through the camera menu, yet. It's faster this way.

Oct 12, 2016 at 02:11 AM
EricJrSax

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Adorama Zoom Li-on flash & radios

Thanks everyone. Think I'll go for Flashpoint R2 system over the Yungnuo system. The Li-on battery alone is enough. The plan is to get the R2 i-TTL Transmitter/Receiver Kit and two Zoom Li-on flashes unit. My only remaining confusion is, will I be able to get away with getting the Zoom Li-on R2 Manual (V850 II) as my 2nd flash and the Zoom Li-on R2 TTL (V860N II) as my primary on-camera flash? Will attaching the R2 i-TTL Receiver turn the (V850 II) give me i-TTL? I guess using 'R2' and 'Manual' in the same flash description in what's confusing me. I want to use the (V860N II) for those single flash/on camera moments, and when I want to play with 2 speedlites, the (V850 II) would perch atop the R2 i-TTL Receiver with the R2 i-TTL transmitter on the camera and the (V860N II) standing on it's own. Do I have it, or am I out in left fields somewhere?

Oct 12, 2016 at 03:38 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jrscls
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Adorama Zoom Li-on flash & radios

I don't think the manual flash can work with i-TTL. I would just stick with the V860N II units if you are going to use TTL rather than try to use a manual flash on a receiver. From what you describe, I'm not sure why you need a receiver. Why not just get a transmitter and a couple V860N II flashes. This way you can fire both flashes off camera or put one of them on camera to fire the other off camera.

Oct 12, 2016 at 05:30 PM
EricJrSax

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Adorama Zoom Li-on flash & radios

jrscls wrote:
I don't think the manual flash can work with i-TTL. I would just stick with the V860N II units if you are going to use TTL rather than try to use a manual flash on a receiver. From what you describe, I'm not sure why you need a receiver. Why not just get a transmitter and a couple V860N II flashes. This way you can fire both flashes off camera or put one of them on camera to fire the other off camera.

Yeah, makes a lotta sense. Maybe I was trying to over squeeze the dollar a bit,... the price difference between a single transmitter and their R2 i-TTL transmitter/receiver kit is like pennies. The difference between the V860N II and the V850 II is like 80 bucks! That's a pretty good headstart towards a reasonable softbox, bracket & stand setup.

Oct 12, 2016 at 10:36 PM
hijazist
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Adorama Zoom Li-on flash & radios

+1. I have the Xplor 600 TTL and the Li-Ion flashes and they've been amazing. The system works seamlessly together and the battery is so much better than fiddling with AAs.

jrscls wrote:
I sold my Nikon, Yongnuo and Alien Bees after picking up a few Godox / Flashpoint R2 Li-Ion flashes and a Flashpoint XPLOR TTL monolight. Really like this system.

Oct 13, 2016 at 01:54 AM
EricJrSax

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Adorama Zoom Li-on flash & radios

Ordered the Zoom Li-on R2 TTL V860N II flash ($180), the Zoom Li-on R2 Manual V850 II flash ($100), and the Flashpoint R2 i-TTL wireless 2.4Ghz RF transmitter/receiver X1-N kit ($80) this morning. Hey jrscls,... called Adorama before placing the order and was told the manual Li-on flash has a multi foot that will recognize either Canon or Nikon hot shoe pin configurations. And that even though it's called manual, it still has R2 connectivity built into it, and when mounted on either the R2 i-TTL receiver or transmitter, it will perform as the V860N II. Let's just hope he's right and I don't have to return and repurchase! Thanks everyone!

Edited on Oct 15, 2016 at 12:48 AM · View previous versions

Oct 13, 2016 at 10:41 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Adorama Zoom Li-on flash & radios

"Nikon's lights just seems overly complicated and over priced,... even when compared to Canon."

How would you think this if you've never tried them? Nikon flashes and the CLS system are wonderful. Solid as a rock, reliable, powerful, feature packed, and easy to use. Nikon's system is so much better than Canon's. You have to pay for the best. You might want the new SB-5000 which was specifically designed for the D500 and D5 than the cheaper Chinese knock-off's.

Oct 14, 2016 at 12:49 AM
EricJrSax

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Adorama Zoom Li-on flash & radios

I have tried them Gregg,... been using CLS for a while now since moving over from Canon a few years back. What I am new to is the whole Radio Wireless thing,... there lies my confusion on what to buy. Yes,... Nikon's Radio Wireless system does seem expensive, overly complicated and appears kinda patched together. I mean you gotta buy a '$200 this' that you gotta attach to the front of your body, then you gotta buy a '$200 that' that you gotta attach to the '$200 this' you just put on the front of your camera. That's almost $1,000 just to get your new shiny little SB5000 off your camera,... you don't call that expensive? I just have a problem understanding why Nikon just didn't build the necessary features and capabilities into their new line of speedlites so that they can perform the Radio Wireless tasks from the hot shoe,... you know, like Canon and the 3rd party makers have done. Now there's prolly a reason,... maybe even a good reason. But it escapes me! Just take all the instructions Nikon's been sending for years from flash to flash via optical bursts, and send that same set of instructions over a more reliable radio frequency transmission! Simple! Or am I missing something?

Edited on Oct 15, 2016 at 12:56 AM · View previous versions

Oct 14, 2016 at 04:08 PM
jrscls
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Adorama Zoom Li-on flash & radios

^EricJrSax, I agree. I shot Canon for years and the 600EX-RT system was very nice. Once I moved to Nikon, I was disappointed with the lack of a comparable Nikon wireless system. I ended up with the Godox system, and very pleased after using Canon, Nikon and Yongnuo flashes before.

Oct 14, 2016 at 11:34 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password