Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2016 · Trying to understand what a parabolic softbox will give m...

MayaTlab
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Trying to understand what a parabolic softbox will give me over my Octa

shaolin95 wrote:
BTW, someone commented on another thread that the on axis mount was really important with their silver umbrella but not so much with the Soft Silver or White one.
What do you think about that?

I haven't directly compared on axis mounts and off axis ones, so just like you I'll wait for Nixland's answer D.

The only thing I can say is that when the mount is off axis, even slightly so, the projected beam of light will be slightly offset relative to the umbrella shaft :

I don't know if the Cactus corresponds to a soft or hard PLM, maybe it's in between ?

The other important thing is that the degree of "off axisness" depends on the size of the umbrella. Taking the example of the Profoto B2 above, which flash tube is offset by around 2-6cm from the shaft, this offset will be relatively more important on a smaller, 100cm umbrella, than on larger ones (since the offset doesn't change from umbrella to umbrella, but the umbrella size does).

Regarding white umbrellas, white isn't a directional material (which is also why it doesn't make sense to talk about a white "parabolic" reflector), so it's quite logical that it shouldn't matter much. If you have a 5 in 1 reflector, or a white / silver one, you can try it yourself : if you move the light source relative to the silver side, you'll see the reflected light move, but much less so if not at all on the white side.

Nov 03, 2016 at 04:53 PM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password