Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2016 · Trying to understand what a parabolic softbox will give me over my Octa

bgateb760
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Trying to understand what a parabolic softbox will give me over my Octa

shaolin95 wrote:
Wow that was fantastic and speaks volumes about the Parabolix which now is on my radar for near future purchase. Just need to decide if I can deal with the 45 in my smallish studio.

Thanks a ton!

Here's smore more info I have from my initial preview of the parabolix. They're a great system, and I do plan on adding the 88 equivalent in the near future -- I own a para, but want something smaller than the 133, and after using and seeing the 'lix -- i can no longer justify spending $3000+ to add an 88 to my kit. Plus, the profoto mount for the focusing rod means it serve double duty for me as a regular deep 16-sided box, if i need it to

http://www.thebroketographers.com/blog/2016/8/18/parabolix-light-focusing-system

Oct 14, 2016 at 06:32 PM
bgateb760
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Trying to understand what a parabolic softbox will give me over my Octa

I just updated the comparison post a bit with some additional notes and photos under the "setup" and "light patterns" sections.

Oct 14, 2016 at 06:44 PM
GabrielPhoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Trying to understand what a parabolic softbox will give me over my Octa

bgateb760 wrote:
Here's smore more info I have from my initial preview of the parabolix. They're a great system, and I do plan on adding the 88 equivalent in the near future -- I own a para, but want something smaller than the 133, and after using and seeing the 'lix -- i can no longer justify spending $3000+ to add an 88 to my kit. Plus, the profoto mount for the focusing rod means it serve double duty for me as a regular deep 16-sided box, if i need it to

http://www.thebroketographers.com/blog/2016/8/18/parabolix-light-focusing-system

I am curious...how will this Parabolix compare to a Westcott Zeppelin? I have read that people do not consider the westcott a real parabolic so that makes me even more curious to hear your opinion about this since you clearly know your stuff.
Thanks!

Oct 14, 2016 at 09:07 PM
MayaTlab
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Trying to understand what a parabolic softbox will give me over my Octa

bgateb760 wrote:
Parabolix & Para133 comparison.

Thanks a lot !

In the focused position the broncolor seems a little more evenly lit. In your opinion is it caused by the softer, slightly more diffused silver material, or by the added ribs / better arc shape ? Did you notice as a result that the Broncolor avoided the production of multiple shadows vs. the Parabolix or not ?

In a more lowly category (I'm leaving the big guns to you guys ), yesterday I've compared in a parking the light projection of one of Profoto's deep silver umbrellas with a Cactus shallow parabolic umbrella, if people are interested I'll post the pictures here.

Oct 15, 2016 at 02:57 AM
voidsherpa
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Trying to understand what a parabolic softbox will give me over my Octa

MayaTlab wrote:
In the focused position the broncolor seems a little more evenly lit. In your opinion is it caused by the softer, slightly more diffused silver material, or by the added ribs / better arc shape ?

I'm quite surprised by this also, I thought they'd be closer.

bgateb760 wrote:
I own a para, but want something smaller than the 133, and after using and seeing the 'lix -- i can no longer justify spending $3000+ to add an 88 to my kit.

Thanks for both reviews you have posted, very informative. I have a question that hopefully you could help me answer since the Para 133 and 88 mount is the same. The only Bron mount I own or have used (Profoto user) is a Para 88 and there is quite a bitt of wiggle/play then the focus assembly is attached to the para reflector, is this normal? Curious if that's just how the Bron mount is, or if mine has loose tolerance.

Oct 15, 2016 at 12:37 PM
GabrielPhoto
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Trying to understand what a parabolic softbox will give me over my Octa

bgateb760 wrote:
I just updated the comparison post a bit with some additional notes and photos under the "setup" and "light patterns" sections.

Can you explain why the Westcott Zeppelin for example, is not considered a true Parabolic reflector by some people from comments I have read?
That was going to be my choice until I saw your review.

Oct 16, 2016 at 06:04 PM
nixland
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Trying to understand what a parabolic softbox will give me over my Octa

shaolin95 wrote:
Can you explain why the Westcott Zeppelin for example, is not considered a true Parabolic reflector by some people from comments I have read?
That was going to be my choice until I saw your review.

From the shape of the rod.

The left one is Rime Lite, the right is Zeppelin

Oct 16, 2016 at 06:49 PM
nixland
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Trying to understand what a parabolic softbox will give me over my Octa

Top : Broncolor para
Middle : Rime Lite & PLM
Bottom : Zeppelin & Profoto umbrella

Oct 16, 2016 at 06:54 PM
GabrielPhoto
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Trying to understand what a parabolic softbox will give me over my Octa

nixland wrote:
From the shape of the rod.

The left one is Rime Lite, the right is Zeppelin

Interesting how much more focused the Rime Lite looks even though the looks of the box is bigger and kind of more open so I would think it will spread light all over the place compared to the Zeppelin. Goes to show how little I know about it

Oct 16, 2016 at 07:00 PM
nixland
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Trying to understand what a parabolic softbox will give me over my Octa

shaolin95 wrote:
Interesting how much more focused the Rime Lite looks even though the looks of the box is bigger and kind of more open so I would think it will spread light all over the place compared to the Zeppelin. Goes to show how little I know about it

By the way it doesn't mean that Zeppelin is not good. I have one and I like it. It gives more wrapped around light. But yes, it's not close to parabolic
For parabolic look I use Rime Lite.

Oct 16, 2016 at 07:36 PM
GabrielPhoto
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Trying to understand what a parabolic softbox will give me over my Octa

nixland wrote:
By the way it doesn't mean that Zeppelin is not good. I have one and I like it. It gives more wrapped around light. But yes, it's not close to parabolic
For parabolic look I use Rime Lite.

Well I own the Westcott XXL (48") already and bought a grid for it (which I hope it fits lol) and a Joel Grims Beauty Dish 24" so what I want is a more controlled Parabolic light so looks like the Zeppelin is not as good of a choice as the Rime Lite for my needs then, do you agree?
Also, doesnt the grid on the softbox focuses the light in a more parabolic style? I guess it still wont have the more contrasty look of a true parabolic but just wondering.
Thanks!!!

Oct 16, 2016 at 07:48 PM
nixland
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Trying to understand what a parabolic softbox will give me over my Octa

shaolin95 wrote:
Well I own the Westcott XXL (48") already and bought a grid for it (which I hope it fits lol) and a Joel Grims Beauty Dish 24" so what I want is a more controlled Parabolic light so looks like the Zeppelin is not as good of a choice as the Rime Lite for my needs then, do you agree?
Also, doesnt the grid on the softbox focuses the light in a more parabolic style? I guess it still wont have the more contrasty look of a true parabolic but just wondering.
Thanks!!!

Well, I am still considering to order custom-made grid for my paras because the company of those paras doesnt make grid for them.
Its for my curiosity and also
I like testing and experimenting light modifiers

For now, what I know about grid vs para :

- Grid is expensive, especially large ones. And you need deeper grid cell to have more focused light

-If the light that goes forward is uneven (hotter in the center), while the grid may block the light spread to the side, the light that goes forward still uneven

- It takes time to put the grid on the large modifiers. If on a photoshoot session you need to change light style back and forth, para with focusing rod is much faster to get focused light

- Grid absorbs some of the light. If you need more light intensity (for mid day outdoor photoshoot for example) para will be more efficient

I need grid to confirm all assumptions above

Oct 17, 2016 at 12:46 AM
GabrielPhoto
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Trying to understand what a parabolic softbox will give me over my Octa

nixland wrote:
Well, I am still considering to order custom-made grid for my paras because the company of those paras doesnt make grid for them.
Its for my curiosity and also
I like testing and experimenting light modifiers

For now, what I know about grid vs para :

- Grid is expensive, especially large ones. And you need deeper grid cell to have more focused light

-If the light that goes forward is uneven (hotter in the center), while the grid may block the light spread to the side, the light that goes forward still uneven

- It takes time to put the grid on the
...Show more

Are you using an arm with that Para you have? If so which one?
I was reading that this was supposed to be the same Rime Lite but branded by adorama:
http://www.adorama.com/fpsb47r.html
What you think?

Oct 17, 2016 at 09:47 AM
nixland
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Trying to understand what a parabolic softbox will give me over my Octa

shaolin95 wrote:
Are you using an arm with that Para you have? If so which one?
I was reading that this was supposed to be the same Rime Lite but branded by adorama:
http://www.adorama.com/fpsb47r.html
What you think?

Well, I made my own focusing rod.
Check it here :

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?p=18128712

The 47 inch Rime Lite rod curve is not parabolic. But the 71 inch is.

Oct 17, 2016 at 10:59 AM
GabrielPhoto
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Trying to understand what a parabolic softbox will give me over my Octa

nixland wrote:
Well, I made my own focusing rod.
Check it here :

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?p=18128712

The 47 inch Rime Lite rod curve is not parabolic. But the 71 inch is.

AWesome job man. Sadly I have ZERO DIY skills
Oh so if I buy the smaller 47 I wont really get the parabolic benefits? If so, that sets me back again as my studio barely has 8' ceilings so I was hoping to be at 47' or not much bigger

Oct 17, 2016 at 11:03 AM
bgateb760
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Trying to understand what a parabolic softbox will give me over my Octa

shaolin95 wrote:

the parabola is a function/ratio of the shape/curvature, depth and the opening. The Zeppelin looks like it's too deep or wide at the opening for its size and allows light to scatter a bit too much before exiting.

Oct 17, 2016 at 12:33 PM
GabrielPhoto
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Trying to understand what a parabolic softbox will give me over my Octa

bgateb760 wrote:
the parabola is a function/ratio of the shape/curvature, depth and the opening. The Zeppelin looks like it's too deep or wide at the opening for its size and allows light to scatter a bit too much before exiting.

So for example for this shot I am attaching here where light seems to be more controlled not all over the back wall, I think a para would be better or perhaps even the grid for my octa?

Oct 17, 2016 at 05:06 PM
nixland
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Trying to understand what a parabolic softbox will give me over my Octa

shaolin95 wrote:
So for example for this shot I am attaching here where light seems to be more controlled not all over the back wall, I think a para would be better or perhaps even the grid for my octa?

The grid will do the job. Or you can also turn your octa paralel to the wall (feathering).

Oct 17, 2016 at 05:52 PM
GabrielPhoto
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Trying to understand what a parabolic softbox will give me over my Octa

Is the Phottix Hexa-Para option considered a real para reflector or does it have similar issues to the Westcott?

Oct 17, 2016 at 11:28 PM
nixland
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Trying to understand what a parabolic softbox will give me over my Octa

shaolin95 wrote:
Is the Phottix Hexa-Para option considered a real para reflector or does it have similar issues to the Westcott?

I just plotted parabolic curve on Hexa side view photo I got from Amazon and the results :

Oct 18, 2016 at 06:48 AM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.