Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2016 · Trying to understand what a parabolic softbox will give m...

GabrielPhoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Trying to understand what a parabolic softbox will give me over my Octa

Hello guys!
So I am trying to understand what exactly will I get by using a parabolic softbox like the Zeppelin or cheaper ones like from Selens, over an Octa like my Westcott XXL.
It seems the idea would be to have some arm option to move the light closer and farther etc but somehow is hard to find simple direct comparisons showing what they do under controlled tests.
Any feedback or links will be welcomed.

Oct 11, 2016 at 07:56 PM
tedwca
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Trying to understand what a parabolic softbox will give me over my Octa

Oct 11, 2016 at 10:08 PM
GabrielPhoto
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Trying to understand what a parabolic softbox will give me over my Octa

I have seen it but was hoping for some test with more down to earth gear not just those para ones to see if you get similar benefits. Guess I will have to try buying one an test myself at the end of the day.

Oct 11, 2016 at 10:59 PM
nixland
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Trying to understand what a parabolic softbox will give me over my Octa

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1433525&page=5

Oct 12, 2016 at 12:50 AM
bgateb760
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Trying to understand what a parabolic softbox will give me over my Octa

shaolin95 wrote:
I have seen it but was hoping for some test with more down to earth gear not just those para ones to see if you get similar benefits. Guess I will have to try buying one an test myself at the end of the day.

I have a comparison between the Parabolix and my PAra133 coming up -- I think i can do a write up on my PCB para umbrellas and profoto deep umbrellas as well and do a side by side with those sometime in the future, if that's something people would be interested in. If I can get my hands on the cheaper ones, I'll throw those into the mix, too.

Oct 12, 2016 at 06:22 PM
GabrielPhoto
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Trying to understand what a parabolic softbox will give me over my Octa

bgateb760 wrote:
I have a comparison between the Parabolix and my PAra133 coming up -- I think i can do a write up on my PCB para umbrellas and profoto deep umbrellas as well and do a side by side with those sometime in the future, if that's something people would be interested in. If I can get my hands on the cheaper ones, I'll throw those into the mix, too.

Wow that would be awesome!
What I like about the video that was linked above was around 17:37 when showing the 133 in extended position how the face has a contrasty Beauty Dish look while the shadow from her body is very soft like a big softbox. Like the best of both worlds in some cases.
Are you seeing similar behavior between the Parabolix and the 133? Which Parabolix are you using?

Thanks!!

Oct 12, 2016 at 06:25 PM
voidsherpa
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Trying to understand what a parabolic softbox will give me over my Octa

bgateb760 wrote:
I have a comparison between the Parabolix and my PAra133 coming up.

How soon and where will it be posted? Very interested in this. Also there was some guy on IG that did a review that seemingly had good communication with the company. If you happen to be that said guy can you find out if they plan on going any larger than their 55" and if so, if it is already in the works.

Oct 12, 2016 at 08:34 PM
MayaTlab
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Trying to understand what a parabolic softbox will give me over my Octa

bgateb760 wrote:

Looking froward to your comparison.

I'd also be interested in your opinion on Profoto's deep silver umbrellas. I own one, and I'm having an extremely hard time thinking of them as anything other than rather stupid, because :
1) they just aren't parabolic. The inner part of the umbrella and the outer part don't share the same focal point, at all.
2) they're too deep, meaning that the focal point of the outer area is beyond the sliding ring, where you can't position a light source. The result is that from the subject's point of view, the outer part of the umbrella will never really be illuminated, meaning that, for example, a 130cm umbrella will only be, in effect, a 70cm or so modifier.
3) Even if you could position a light source at the focal point of the outer area, most of Profoto's own heads in circulation (the ones with recessed bulbs), wouldn't be able to strike that outer area as it would be behind the head's light spread.
But maybe there is some brilliance in the design of their deep silver umbrellas that escapes me.

Oct 13, 2016 at 08:29 AM
bgateb760
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Trying to understand what a parabolic softbox will give me over my Octa

voidsherpa wrote:
How soon and where will it be posted? Very interested in this. Also there was some guy on IG that did a review that seemingly had good communication with the company. If you happen to be that said guy can you find out if they plan on going any larger than their 55" and if so, if it is already in the works.

if it's @thebroketographers on instagram, that's me. We do communicate with them a lot, and they do plan on making a larger than 55" one in the future, but it would require re-working the speedring to support the extra weight.

Right now he's focused on making diffusion options for the line, along with grids.

He did also have some interesting prototypes last time we went, like indirect strips and softboxes.

Oct 13, 2016 at 03:44 PM
bgateb760
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Trying to understand what a parabolic softbox will give me over my Octa

voidsherpa wrote:

just proofing & editing it right now, hopefully posting it today or tomorrow. I'll link here when I can.

Oct 13, 2016 at 03:45 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

voidsherpa
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Trying to understand what a parabolic softbox will give me over my Octa

shaolin95 wrote:
if it's @thebroketographers on instagram, that's me. We do communicate with them a lot, and they do plan on making a larger than 55" one in the future, but it would require re-working the speedring to support the extra weight.

Right now he's focused on making diffusion options for the line, along with grids.

This is what I needed to hear. I didn't want to buy a 55" and a month later them come out with a Para 177 equivalent which is what I really need.

Oct 13, 2016 at 04:59 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Trying to understand what a parabolic softbox will give me over my Octa

"Looking froward to your comparison.

I'd also be interested in your opinion on Profoto's deep silver umbrellas. I own one, and I'm having an extremely hard time thinking of them as anything other than rather stupid, because :
1) they just aren't parabolic. The inner part of the umbrella and the outer part don't share the same focal point, at all.
2) they're too deep, meaning that the focal point of the outer area is beyond the sliding ring, where you can't position a light source. The result is that from the subject's point of view, the outer part of the umbrella will never really be illuminated, meaning that, for example, a 130cm umbrella will only be, in effect, a 70cm or so modifier.
3) Even if you could position a light source at the focal point of the outer area, most of Profoto's own heads in circulation (the ones with recessed bulbs), wouldn't be able to strike that outer area as it would be behind the head's light spread.
But maybe there is some brilliance in the design of their deep silver umbrellas that escapes me."

You are exactly right. The Profoto and Other brands of deep, 16 sided, umbrellas are just that, still umbrellas. The silver is great for hard light or when you need the extra output but if you want a true parabolic effect, the light needs to be on center and be capable of being focused. I modified an Avenger D200 Grip head to hold my bare Quadra head as close to center of a Large Deep Silver. It fills the umbrella and works pretty well.

Oct 13, 2016 at 05:20 PM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Trying to understand what a parabolic softbox will give me over my Octa

Hi, Gregg, long time, no see. That looks like an interesting setup you've shown. Is there a noticeable improvement over other, more traditional Eli modifiers? Under what circumstances would you use this?

Oct 13, 2016 at 06:27 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Trying to understand what a parabolic softbox will give me over my Octa

Just about everything gets labelled 'parabolic' regardless of it's actual shape and properties so be careful.

Basically when focussed you get hard and soft light together sort of look which has a very specific character. It is still quite contrasty and directional but has the larger transition areas of a soft lightsource.

This is a good example from http://fstoppers.com/originals/20000-broncolor-lighting-really-worth-it-55070

You can see the sharp nose shadow but the large soft transition area.

When it is defocussed in 'flood' it is not really too different to a silver deep octa imo. Obviously with a front diffuser is is just a deep octa.

Oct 13, 2016 at 06:58 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Trying to understand what a parabolic softbox will give me over my Octa

Hi Steve, it's good to hear from you. I'm finally getting through some of life's challenges this year.

I like this setup when I'm working alone outdoor. and shoot more than one person. And, when I need enough light to shoot at f/11 or so. I originally bough the Profoto thinking I would use it for higher contrast head shot types of images. But I prefer my Mola dish for that. The Profoto works well for larger groups too.

Oct 13, 2016 at 07:05 PM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Trying to understand what a parabolic softbox will give me over my Octa

Thanks, Gregg. Glad to hear things are looking up. This is a great shot!

Oct 13, 2016 at 07:53 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Trying to understand what a parabolic softbox will give me over my Octa

Thank you. It's great for quick set up, single strobe, stuff like this also from last Halloween.

Oct 13, 2016 at 10:03 PM
bgateb760
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Trying to understand what a parabolic softbox will give me over my Octa

Parabolix & Para133 comparison. I dindt get a chance to sit down and talk about all of the subtle differences between the shots, but I may append it at some point in the future. lots of other articles and projects i'm working on, but I know this is of interest to a few people and i've been sitting on the draft for a month or so, so I wanted to just push it out there.

http://www.thebroketographers.com/blog/2016/9/19/comparison-broncolor-para-133-vs-parabolix-45

Oct 14, 2016 at 09:40 PM
GabrielPhoto
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Trying to understand what a parabolic softbox will give me over my Octa

bgateb760 wrote:
Parabolix & Para133 comparison. I dindt get a chance to sit down and talk about all of the subtle differences between the shots, but I may append it at some point in the future. lots of other articles and projects i'm working on, but I know this is of interest to a few people and i've been sitting on the draft for a month or so, so I wanted to just push it out there.

http://www.thebroketographers.com/blog/2016/9/19/comparison-broncolor-para-133-vs-parabolix-45

Wow that was fantastic and speaks volumes about the Parabolix which now is on my radar for near future purchase. Just need to decide if I can deal with the 45 in my smallish studio.

Thanks a ton!

Oct 14, 2016 at 09:52 PM
bgateb760
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Trying to understand what a parabolic softbox will give me over my Octa

voidsherpa wrote:
This is what I needed to hear. I didn't want to buy a 55" and a month later them come out with a Para 177 equivalent which is what I really need.

it's likely a bit further off. His focus is on other types of indirect modifiers and different diffusion options for his current line.

Oct 14, 2016 at 11:30 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password