New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · 3 Flashes or 1 Strobe?

Oscarsmadness
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 3 Flashes or 1 Strobe?

The first shot could be brute forced with 1 or 2 1000 watt strobes + ginormous scrim and another strobe with a parabolic reflector. But that is not practical by any means. Getting the necessary rigging up there may not even be possible. The second shot could be done with two speedlights, two umbrellas, and a flag - a lot easier.

One thing that people have been hinting at but have not outright said is a color temperature issue. Strobes and flashes put light out at a certain color temperature. Sometimes the ambient light temperature does not match the temperature of your lights. You can run into a ton of complications if this happens. You can use gels or LR/PS to fix it, but it is still something that will require some careful thinking and adjusting. In the specific case of your shoot, you'd end up with either an orange background or a blue model, with some weird green tint somewhere in the mix too. Not good, if you are unable to correct it.

I completely agree with those telling you to buy into the right ecosystem of lights for your needs/purchasing power. If you need mobility and flexibility, get speedlights (Godox is awesome!). If you need overwhelming power and don't need to move so much, get strobes. If you want the best of both, Profoto and Broncolor make the industry standard for that kind of thing but they are priced as such...

Regardless of what you get, you need to be on the ball learning and experimenting with modifiers. I have a bag full of modifiers, half of which are DIY, and just two speedlights. I'm real cheap. I force things to work by using modifiers (not always a good thing), and I've kept my lighting GAS under control that way (good thing fo sho).

Look at the Strobist, already mentioned. There's solid stuff there.

Oct 17, 2016 at 11:08 PM
Michael White
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 3 Flashes or 1 Strobe?

It all depends on the output and look you are wanting. One strobe will give you a lot of light in one direction several speedlights will give you light up close from many directions. Personally I have several speedlights with grip to mount on the light stands and modifiers to make them look bigger, plus a elinchrom quadra with a a head and a s head to use when needed.

Oct 19, 2016 at 12:07 AM
       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password