Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Sony Bionz Image Processing Ridiculously Slow???

Chijrt

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sony Bionz Image Processing Ridiculously Slow???

Is it just me or is the processing time - specifically on the A7Rii ridiculously slow especially when processing images with a delayed shutter of 20 seconds or more? I ask because I was recently at Yosemite and my buddy and I were taking galaxy/night sky shots with a 20 to 30 second delay. After the shutter closes, his Canon 5D Mark IV got done processing the image in about 1 or 2 seconds while the A7Rii took something like 10+ seconds? Maybe even longer? Is this directly related to the Bionz X processor? As I understand the Sony has 10+ more megapixels than the 5D, the wait after the closing of the shutter was very frustrating. Thoughts?

Oct 11, 2016 at 12:31 PM
mogul
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sony Bionz Image Processing Ridiculously Slow???

Chijrt wrote:
Is it just me or is the processing time - specifically on the A7Rii ridiculously slow especially when processing images with a delayed shutter of 20 seconds or more? I ask because I was recently at Yosemite and my buddy and I were taking galaxy/night sky shots with a 20 to 30 second delay. After the shutter closes, his Canon 5D Mark IV got done processing the image in about 1 or 2 seconds while the A7Rii took something like 10+ seconds? Maybe even longer? Is this directly related to the Bionz X processor? As I understand the Sony has
...Show more

Dark frame subtraction is taking place for noise reduction.

Oct 11, 2016 at 12:37 PM
Dreamscape17

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sony Bionz Image Processing Ridiculously Slow???

Turn off long exposure noise reduction.

The camera is essentially doubling the exposure time to take a dark frame and subtract the noise from the original image. With that turned off it should essentially be the same time as the Canon.

Oct 11, 2016 at 12:44 PM
arduluth
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sony Bionz Image Processing Ridiculously Slow???

As the others have pointed out, this has nothing to do with the Bionz Image Processor.

You can easily disable the dark frame subtraction. It's in the menu called Long Exposure NR. You can find it in page 6 of the Camera Panel of the menu.

Oct 11, 2016 at 02:58 PM
JimUe
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sony Bionz Image Processing Ridiculously Slow???

Time to RTFM

Oct 11, 2016 at 10:53 PM
ecarlino
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sony Bionz Image Processing Ridiculously Slow???

JimUe wrote:
Time to RTFM

I know that FM is a far more courteous place than the rest of the internet, but sometimes i wish there was a requirement that a user needs to have 100 posts and 20 likes before they can start a thread.

Oct 12, 2016 at 09:21 AM
JimUe
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sony Bionz Image Processing Ridiculously Slow???

sometimes. but often new users start interesting, different perspective, and so I feel, valuable threads.

by the way OP, that was a light hearted joke . no offense intended. but seriously RTFM.

Oct 12, 2016 at 11:26 AM
TheEmrys
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sony Bionz Image Processing Ridiculously Slow???

Right, this isn't an easy find in the manual. How would someone look this up? Slow response time? Slow processing? It would be like finding a word in the dictionary by looking through the definitions.

Good lord, people. Why is being nice so hard for some folks?

Oct 12, 2016 at 11:31 AM
rdeloe
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sony Bionz Image Processing Ridiculously Slow???

I used my A7r for over a year before figuring this one out, and I did read the whole manual -- twice! It wasn't on my radar because I don't do a lot of night photography. I only clued in because of a post someone made somewhere (here, an astro site, can't remember).

I think part of the challenge is that cameras are doing things that they never used to do before (like this approach to long exposure noise reduction). It makes sense now that I know about it, but it wasn't within my personal "realm of the possible" before. And there's so much more of this coming, built into cameras, and via add-on apps.

Oct 12, 2016 at 12:05 PM
JimUe
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sony Bionz Image Processing Ridiculously Slow???

Ok so I apologize. Sony seems to have dumbed down the user manual in the a7r2 and did not mention anything about LENR compared to their earlier user manuals.

I retract my joke.

Oct 12, 2016 at 12:27 PM
Dreamscape17

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sony Bionz Image Processing Ridiculously Slow???

ecarlino wrote:
I know that FM is a far more courteous place than the rest of the internet, but sometimes i wish there was a requirement that a user needs to have 100 posts and 20 likes before they can start a thread.

We should interview all new members and make them pass a rigorous exam before they are allowed to post.

Oct 12, 2016 at 10:01 PM
ecarlino
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sony Bionz Image Processing Ridiculously Slow???

even better than the manual, this has been an invaluable resource:
http://friedmanarchives.com/A7r2/

Oct 12, 2016 at 10:26 PM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sony Bionz Image Processing Ridiculously Slow???

Sony have split their manuals. The User Manual deals almost purely with the hardware/controls aspects of the camera to take photos, ie it's almost like a quick start manual. The in depth manual they call a Help Guide covers the menu settings; where/how/limitations of use etc.

In fact right on the front of the User Manual they print;

“Help Guide” (Web manual)
Refer to “Help Guide” for in-depth
instructions on the many functions of
the camera.

They also provide a link and a square barcode thingy (not tested, I don't own a cellphone)
http://rd1.sony.net/help/ilc/1520/h_zz/

After a language choice (and a slow link) you'll go to the web version of the Help guide, which then also provides a link to a PDF version
http://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/1520/v1/en/index.html
http://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/1520/v1/en/print.pdf

In the PDF version go to section 161, page 179

Long Exposure NR (still image)
When you set the shutter speed to 1 second(s) or longer (long exposure
shooting), noise reduction is turned on for the duration that the shutter is open.
With the function turned on, the grainy noise typical of long exposures is reduced.

1. MENU → (Camera Settings) → [ Long Exposure NR] → desired
setting.

Menu item details
On:
Activates noise reduction for the same duration that the shutter is open. When
noise reduction is in progress, a message appears and you cannot take another
picture. Select this to prioritize the image quality.
Off:
Does not activate noise reduction. Select this to prioritize the timing of shooting.

Note
Noise reduction may not be activated even if [ Long Exposure NR] is set to
[On] in the following situations:
The shooting mode is set to [Sweep Panorama].
[Drive Mode] is set to [Cont. Shooting] or [Cont. Bracket].
The shooting mode is set to [Scene Selection] and [Sports Action], [Hand-held
Twilight] or [Anti Motion Blur] is selected.
The ISO sensitivity is set to [Multi Frame NR].
You cannot set [ Long Exposure NR] to [Off] when the shooting mode is set
to [Intelligent Auto], [Superior Auto] or [Scene Selection].
Depending on the shooting conditions, the camera may not perform noise
reduction, even if the shutter speed is longer than 1 second(s).

Oct 13, 2016 at 06:55 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.