New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Would you trade an X-Pro2 for a Df

Pavel
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Would you trade an X-Pro2 for a Df

The "real" viewfinder of the Df versus that tv screen on the X-T2 that we are forced to deal with and pretend to love ... make this so tough on me. Yeah, I'd rather use the Df over any fuji, but only if the use included the manual focus AI and AIS lenses - that are by some sort of co-incidence just a bit smaller than the Fuji offerings at most focal lengths. All Nikon would have to do is bring out a Df v2 with an interchangeable set of screens ... and I hate to say it ... I'd be moving back in a flash. Right now Fuji is my favorite system, but I'm not a fanboy enough that I can't admit that Fuji also gets a lot wrong. But I don't expect Nikon to get a clue. That part is kind of unique about Fuji, that they seem to listen to the users more than is common among other brands. Fuji is slowly getting there. Finally they let us shooters use the back button for focus. Took long enough. But I have confidence in Fuji, whereas by comparison, Nikon seems to NOT listen to user feedback. Ergonomically however the Fuji system and the Nikon Df are close, real close - in a very nice way.

Oct 12, 2016 at 12:35 AM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Would you trade an X-Pro2 for a Df

Pavel wrote:
The "real" viewfinder of the Df versus that tv screen on the X-T2 that we are forced to deal with and pretend to love ... make this so tough on me. Yeah, I'd rather use the Df over any fuji, but only if the use included the manual focus AI and AIS lenses - that are by some sort of co-incidence just a bit smaller than the Fuji offerings at most focal lengths. All Nikon would have to do is bring out a Df v2 with an interchangeable set of screens ... and I hate to say it ... I'd
...Show more

I feel the same about the Df, it is very much like Fuji in many ways

Oct 12, 2016 at 12:41 AM
rbf_
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Would you trade an X-Pro2 for a Df

Pavel wrote:
The DF is my third most favorite camera on the planet. I actually like it better than the Fuji stuff ... except for on thing ... they really, really, really dropped the ball in one very important areas ... the ability to manual focus, with manual focus AIS lenses.

That takes it from being my favorite body to third place. I'll let you guess which the two bodies ahead of it are.

Well, they also used one of the new G series lenses as the kit lens on this retro body which don't have aperture rings anymore. I found that too be a bit perplexing on a body which featured shutter speed, ISO dials and a mechanical remote release. Particularly when Nikon is known and liked for still having lenses in their lineup with mechanical aperture rings. Right idea, really perplexing execution

Oct 12, 2016 at 02:04 AM
Weez
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Would you trade an X-Pro2 for a Df

Pavel wrote:
Yeah, I'd rather use the Df over any fuji, but only if the use included the manual focus AI and AIS lenses - that are by some sort of co-incidence just a bit smaller than the Fuji offerings at most focal lengths.

I may be wrong here, but I believe this has to do with the distance from the lens mount to the sensor. No mirror means the lens mount is closer, which changes the required dimensions for a given focal length.

And I'm curious...do you find it difficult to manually focus without a split prism screen? I found it awkward at first as well, but now I can use the arrows just as quickly. It did take a while though...just didn't feel natural.

I said before, I'm a Nikon guy, but no fanboy. The bulk of their stuff is, imo, overpriced. For example, if I want a new battery grip for my D750, it'll set me back nearly $500. That's crazy.

Nikon better wake up, because Fuji is poised to kick their butt and take their lunch money. Maybe not in the FF arena, but it seems like a LOT of shooters who were hard-core FF all the way seem to be warming up to the capabilities of APS-C. They are (slowly) realizing you don't need FF and a gazillion megapixels.

X-T2 and grip vs. D500? I'd have to go with the X-T2.

I can't wait for the release of the GFX 50S. Not that I'll buy one right away, but it makes me smile to know that companies like Hasselblad, Phaseone, etc. will have serious competition at a fraction of their prices.

Oct 12, 2016 at 02:15 AM
rbf_
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Would you trade an X-Pro2 for a Df

I think a Df style body with the D810 sensor that worked out some of the quirks in the Df would be really interesting as a higher MP/DR companion system to an X series if they can keep the cost down to current D810 levels. Particularly with a couple of the Zeiss ZF primes. The Zeiss ZF primes are optically superb and the prices are reasonable because they have no AF motors, you get aperture rings and smooth MF haptics as well I mean let's face it... lots of X system owners won't be able to afford the cost of a GFX miniMF system even if is priced to undercut the miniMF market. So just thinking about alternatives for a cheaper landscape oriented cam.

Oct 12, 2016 at 02:24 AM
Cheryle Sytsma
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Would you trade an X-Pro2 for a Df

I love my Df... I have a ton of mf lenses that work extremely well on this camera.
The camera will also work well with non-ai, ai & ais lenses...all the old Nikon lenses,
except rangefinder of course.

Also likes the AF lenses! It produces some beautiful pictures...
great colors. And is easy to use. After using the Df the Fuji X-T(x) cameras
are so easy to pick up and shoot with. Great camera!

Don't have the Fuji X-Pro only the X-T1 which is growing on me.

Edited on Oct 12, 2016 at 12:53 PM · View previous versions

Oct 12, 2016 at 03:22 AM
scottmti
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Would you trade an X-Pro2 for a Df

I am a new "fan" of Fuji ecosystem. I like what they are doing for their system. I really enjoy their EVF even tho I have X-T10 and it's EVF is very special. I've been a long time Nikon user and currently have DF and I really love the camera. I don't think I will switch over to Fuji yet but I am really getting close. Couple of thing I am waiting is to have Fuji to have more options on their Flash. I think new Xpro 2 and Xt2 have equal as DF files. That's saying a lot with crop sensor. I'm sure they will improve more. As of today if some one ask me to swap my DF and their Xpro2, I really have to think hard about it. I love the form factor of Xpro2 but I like DF form factor also. I never had issues focusing in low light since I don't make $$ with it. It's fun and capable camera to have. Yes, shutter sounds awesome.
If I were you, I don't think I'll trade XPro2 since it's future proof for another 4 years? Especially Fuji will update your camera with their firmware often. It's like having a new camera every time they update. I believe within year or two Fuji surpass the quality of current full frame sensor.
Like I said, I'm new to Fuji system with only Kit lens and 35mm f/2. It's lighter and smaller than DF with 35mm f/1.8 or 50mm. Only reason I picked X-T10 was I wanted have my feet wet on new system. I like almost everything about the XT10. I love built-in flash. Works great.
I am still big fan of DF, it's enough for what I do and I am very familiar with it's quirks and strength. Strength out weight it's quirks. Reason I am fan.
It's like my wife, she has many faults that I don't like but what I do love about her out weight her faults. I will keep her until she kicks me out.
Keep your XPro-2. I would.

Oct 12, 2016 at 03:42 AM
mortyb
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Would you trade an X-Pro2 for a Df

I have also been interested in the Df, mainly for its sensor, which outputs beautiful files with very nice colors and tonality. From what I've seen, it seems to have a special file quality. However, in many ways it would be a big step backwards (for me, at least) - no tilting LCD, OVF instead of EVF, larger and heavier than X-T or A7, PDAF and potential issues with AF accuracy using fast lenses WO etc. Don't think I'd replace any camera with the Df, more to check it out in addition to a X-T or A7.

Oct 12, 2016 at 08:55 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Sgt_Gatr
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Would you trade an X-Pro2 for a Df

I may just stick with the X-Pro2 for now as I got a killer deal on it. I just don't have enough money for both so that is not an option.

Oct 12, 2016 at 12:42 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Would you trade an X-Pro2 for a Df

charles.K wrote:
I feel the same about the Df, it is very much like Fuji in many ways

Actually I believe you have the right of it. The Fuji's are all very much standardized in how the two styles approach their ergonomic "way" whereas the Nikon Df is an odd duck that can claim lineage to back before digital, but not to any current ergonomic Nikon approach. It is an odd duck in the lineup. The Fuji duck. NO wonder I liked it so much!

but in conjunction with modern nikon lenses it is an unbalanced beast. I would have spent the money, would have put up the limitations of using manual focus only ( I still think I'm twenty on many days ) and used it with the 24 f 2.8 AI, the 55 AIS micro, the 85 F2.0 and the 135 f 2.8 AIS, all of which I have - and called it a compact kit day.

And Nikon screwed it up.

But, thinking about it now, I made up all my feelings about the Df before my dive into the Fuji ecosystem. I wonder now which way I'd go in a head to head comparison with a new "perfect for manual focus" Nikon Df? Perhaps that ship has sailed - for me?

Oct 12, 2016 at 04:31 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Would you trade an X-Pro2 for a Df

Weez wrote:
I may be wrong here, but I believe this has to do with the distance from the lens mount to the sensor. No mirror means the lens mount is closer, which changes the required dimensions for a given focal length.

And I'm curious...do you find it difficult to manually focus without a split prism screen? I found it awkward at first as well, but now I can use the arrows just as quickly. It did take a while though...just didn't feel natural.

I said before, I'm a Nikon guy, but no fanboy. The bulk of their stuff is, imo, overpriced. For example,
...Show more

I find that I can do it, focus the Df, I mean. But I also have a couple of F3 HP bodies and those I can focus without almost a thought. By contrast the D3 that I have is doable but it is a pita. The 24 I don't worry about too much. The 85 or 135 I get near the ballpark, squint and curse a bit, adjust the focus - hmmm ... close ... I think, adjust a bit more, ooops too much, back a bit hmmm.... ok that should be near the mark - fire. Not the zen I was looking for.

I tried the Df twice at my local dealer and it was much the same as my D3 with manual focus. It works, but it does not work the way I know it can work, and DOES work on the old film bodies. So close - yet so far.

Were my eyes younger - who knows. I'm not saying put in one of those wonderful coarse screens or ruin it for autofocusers by sticking in a split screen. Just build it like you used to build it Mr. Nikon, in the old days where it was you made your reputation for quality and pro level equipment. Give us a choice. A replaceable set of set of screens. How hard is that? How cheap are you NIKON on such a premium priced bit of gear?

Oct 12, 2016 at 04:41 PM
Weez
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Would you trade an X-Pro2 for a Df

Pavel wrote:
I find that I can do it, focus the Df, I mean. But I also have a couple of F3 HP bodies and those I can focus without almost a thought. By contrast the D3 that I have is doable but it is a pita. The 24 I don't worry about too much. The 85 or 135 I get near the ballpark, squint and curse a bit, adjust the focus - hmmm ... close ... I think, adjust a bit more, ooops too much, back a bit hmmm.... ok that should be near the mark - fire. Not the zen
...Show more

Ok, then I misunderstood. I thought you were referring to the actual size of the lenses.

But yes, agreed.

Much as I love Nikon stuff, I can easily see why so many have jumped ship to Fuji.

I don't plan on letting go of my Nikon gear anytime soon, but most of it will collect dust while I get acquainted with this new (to me) system.

Oct 12, 2016 at 07:24 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Would you trade an X-Pro2 for a Df

Pavel wrote:
I find that I can do it, focus the Df, I mean. But I also have a couple of F3 HP bodies and those I can focus without almost a thought. By contrast the D3 that I have is doable but it is a pita. The 24 I don't worry about too much. The 85 or 135 I get near the ballpark, squint and curse a bit, adjust the focus - hmmm ... close ... I think, adjust a bit more, ooops too much, back a bit hmmm.... ok that should be near the mark - fire. Not the zen
...Show more

The X-T1/2 is what the Df SHOULD have been.

Oct 12, 2016 at 07:48 PM
Sgt_Gatr
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Would you trade an X-Pro2 for a Df

leighton w wrote:
The X-T1/2 is what the Df SHOULD have been.

Maybe for you it is. I never liked the X-T1 and have no want for the X-T2.

Oct 12, 2016 at 08:04 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Would you trade an X-Pro2 for a Df

Sgt_Gatr wrote:
Maybe for you it is. I never liked the X-T1 and have no want for the X-T2.

Well right, IMO it is. But everyone is different and that's what makes the world go around

Oct 12, 2016 at 09:17 PM
gyoung143
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Would you trade an X-Pro2 for a Df

Like the Xpro line I think the attraction of the Df is the optical finder, but the paradox is that its just as hard to focus with mf lenses as any other Nikon dslr.
It also has both the traditional shutter speed dials AND the modern thumb/finger wheels for speed and aperture. It tries to cover all the bases but in the end it's shortcomings are frustrating to me.
Put it beside my FM2 and its a cluttered over-complicated and over-large caracuture. I would have been happier if it had been more like my F90 which I fitted with a Beattie screen, with both a split image AND a grid. That was, and is, good to use with both af and mf lenses.

Gerry

Oct 12, 2016 at 09:35 PM
       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password