New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Would you trade an X-Pro2 for a Df

Sgt_Gatr
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Would you trade an X-Pro2 for a Df

For some reason I have always wanted a Df. Would anyone here trade an X-Pro2 for one? If so, why? I am really considering it or possibly selling the X-Pro2 and buying one. I only have the 35mm f2 so it is not like I am heavily invested in Fuji yet.

Not trolling but just wanting some opinions.

Thanks

Edited on Oct 11, 2016 at 05:03 PM · View previous versions

Oct 11, 2016 at 04:56 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Would you trade an X-Pro2 for a Df

What's that?

Oct 11, 2016 at 04:59 PM
Sgt_Gatr
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Would you trade an X-Pro2 for a Df

What's what?

Oct 11, 2016 at 05:04 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Would you trade an X-Pro2 for a Df

No.

Oct 11, 2016 at 05:23 PM
lexvo
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Would you trade an X-Pro2 for a Df

Going to a Df also means larger lenses. I switched from FF Canon to Fuji to have a compacter and lighter setup. So I wouldn't do it.

Oct 11, 2016 at 05:38 PM
Mike Tuomey
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Would you trade an X-Pro2 for a Df

I share your interest in the Df. I went the Fuji route because XF offers:

1. easier carry due to lighter weight and smaller size equivalent FL lenses
2. superior commitment from maker (continuing product development, firmware support, service, etc.)
3. prior positive experience with Fuji gear (no real experience with Nikon)

But I still think about it. Df would work very well for my club shooting. If my DSLR gear were Nikon I'd probably have done it.

Oct 11, 2016 at 06:18 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Would you trade an X-Pro2 for a Df

Sgt_Gatr wrote:
For some reason I have always wanted a Df. Would anyone here trade an X-Pro2 for one? If so, why? I am really considering it or possibly selling the X-Pro2 and buying one. I only have the 35mm f2 so it is not like I am heavily invested in Fuji yet.

Not trolling but just wanting some opinions.

Thanks

Having come from Nikon, I would say no. The Df is a nice camera, but it's getting old in the DSLR world. I was psyched when they first started showing teasers of the camera, but when it came out, I was REALLY disappointed. I was expecting a larger viewfinder with the ability to chage focus screens, something like the one in the old F3HP. Instead, it has the same viewfinder found in the D600. The sensor is nice, but it's only 16mp, not bad but smaller than the D600's 24mp, and that extra size DOES make a difference. It also tops out at 1/4000 which is not a huge deal, but having the XPro2 go to 1/8000 is a big plus. Also, like Lex said, the lenses are bigger, unless you're going to shoot with the older MF lenses.

If Nikon would have made the Df mirrorless, I would have been all over it. Oh well, maybe the next version. Of course, this is just my opinion, YMMV.

Oct 11, 2016 at 06:36 PM
Weez
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Would you trade an X-Pro2 for a Df

Keep your Fuji and just pick up a used Df. No way would I buy one new - very overpriced.

The files are very nice, but the camera as a whole is a big disappointment - pathetic continuous shooting speed, top shutter of 1/4000, only one card slot, and on....

I was hoping for a digital F4, with all the obvious modern technological advances - except video (insert crowd laughter here). Nikon almost certainly won't do that, for obvious financial reasons.

16MP is fine. Very few pros actually 'need' anything more (12 is fine for most, really), and certainly amateurs don't.

Now, I'm a Nikon guy, but I recently picked up a like-new X-T10 and a 35 f2...wow. It's such a joy to shoot with, and the files are incredible. Honestly, if you want an SLR shooting experience, forget what I said above...skip the Df and get a used X-T2 or even an X-T1, lol.

Oct 11, 2016 at 07:54 PM
Sgt_Gatr
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Would you trade an X-Pro2 for a Df

I agree that Fuji definitely takes care of their customers more than Nikon. I don't even really like Nikon as a company and really don't care for their other DSLRs. But, for some really weird, reason the Df is calling to me. I know I would for sure miss the EVF, awesome film simulations, wireless tech, electronic shutter, etc.... Pretty much everything the fuji offers I love. That being said I have an old 105mm f2.5 that I would immediately mount on a Df if given the opportunity.

I have played with a Df a time or two. A friend has one he has let me take it out but I only had it for an hour each time. Not really enough time to try out everything. These are the things that draw me toward the Df.

1st. The feel of it is pretty special. I would equate it to the feel and handling of the X-Pro2. It just feels right and everything seems like it is in the correct place.

2nd. The design, obviously. I would like to say that I could care less about looks and that a tool is a tool but that isn't true. I love the look of it.

3rd. The shutter sound! Holy $h!t that thing sounds amazing! I never knew a shutter sounding that good. The X-Pro2 sounds amazing but the Df is on another level. I know that is completely personal preference and in know way means anything of actual value but when I first heard it I smiled a bit.

4th. The images. for me, 16mp would be enough. I wish the X-Pro1 had 75% the speed of the X-Pro2 because I would have bought that one instead. I have always thought 16mp was fine for my type of photography, which is mainly street and portraits of my family. More is a plus but with it comes longer load and transfer times.

5th. AF tracking. I read all the horror stories about how bad the AF was but I found it to be quite excellent. I took a burst of about 22 RAW images (until the buffer filled) of my daughter running towards me and it nailed focus every single time. My X-Pro2 gets about 85-90% which is perfectly fine for me. I was just surprised how accurate it was given the poor reviews from most people. I will say that in very dark conditions the Df will give up and the X-Pro2 will always focus. This, however, is in extreme low light situations.

Cons:

1st. Only one card slot. I have never had a card fail so I am really sure how I feel about this yet. Only time would tell I guess.

2nd. Manual focus is a bit of a chore compared to focus peaking.

3rd. I mentioned it earlier, no EVF. I never shot film or had a DSLR so I am very spoiled with an EVF. I do not know the first thing about using an OVF and not sure what the learning curve would be coming from a system that allows you to see the exposure in real time.

4th. The Fuji JPEG simulations. I like to edit photos but I don't like to spend hours editing either. Anything that would cut down on the editing is a huge bonus and with the film simulations from fuji that has become a reality. However, the files out of the Df look pretty good as it, just not as good as Fuji.

5th. The lenses. For me, Fuji lenses are amazing. I have owned the 35 f1.4, and 16mm f1.4 but now only have the 35mm f2. I sold the 35mm f1.4 and the 16mm f1.4. Wish I had kept the 16mm but I'll just have to wait for the next sale to grab one. With Nikon, the lenses are bigger, but I would only use primes so honestly, their not that much bigger. I also prefer the older models which are not so plasticy.

6th. Full time live view. Live view on the Df is slow as molasses compared to the Fuji. I would probably never use it whereas I find myself using it 30-50% of the time on the X-Pro2. It's just nice to have the camera in weird angles, like taking a picture in the car, without having to have your eye to the viewfinder.

Sorry if I gave too much detail their haha. So I'll end with this. I hate DSLR's and love my Fuji but for some stupid reason the Df is like a an itch I can't reach. My mind tells me no but my heart screams GET IT!!!

Edited on Oct 14, 2016 at 03:05 PM · View previous versions

Oct 11, 2016 at 07:54 PM
Sgt_Gatr
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Would you trade an X-Pro2 for a Df

I wish I could afford a used one but I don't have that kind of cash. Also, I would never buy a new one either. I have seen some with less than 100 actuations and the "kit" lens for around $1,970 which seems like a reasonable price.

Oct 11, 2016 at 08:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

James R
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Would you trade an X-Pro2 for a Df

To quote Woody Allen/Emily Dickinson, "The heart wants what it wants." Sounds like you want it, so get it. The DF never made sense to me. Didn't feel good in my hand and poorly balanced with heavy lenses mounted. The image quality is wonderful, and ultimately that is what's important.

Oct 11, 2016 at 08:26 PM
Weez
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Would you trade an X-Pro2 for a Df

Sgt_Gatr wrote:
I wish I could afford a used one but I don't have that kind of cash. Also, I would never buy a new one either. I have seen some with less than 100 actuations and the "kit" lens for around $1,970 which seems like a reasonable price.

That's high, imo.* I've seen the bodies go in the 1500-1700 range, and that lens, while excellent (I have one), is like 200 bucks new. Could prob get a used one for somewhere around 125 or so. Skip the SE model - it's just marketing.

But man, I wouldn't get rid of the Fuji, I think you'll be kicking yourself later on.

*Don't get too hung up on shutter count

Oct 11, 2016 at 08:26 PM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Would you trade an X-Pro2 for a Df

I would suggest rent/borrow Df for a couple weeks and see how you gel with it. You can read all the tech specs, pros and cons, but you must go with your feelings and what you love to pick up and take shots.

Oct 11, 2016 at 08:48 PM
sputnik
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Would you trade an X-Pro2 for a Df

I'm a long time Nikon user, who first went with m43 as a compact system to complinent the huge pro Nikon bodies. Then I tried Fuji XE1 and over time Fuji has become my main system. But the Df and a couple of favourite Nikkors are staying. Love how it feels in hand, love the image quality and certainly love the sound of it. It hits a sweet spot for me. I never warmed up to the D800 that the Df replaced. For me it's a keeper, although I do not think it is for everyone. Kind of like that 58/1.4....

Oct 11, 2016 at 09:59 PM
rbf_
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Would you trade an X-Pro2 for a Df

leighton w wrote:
Having come from Nikon, I would say no. The Df is a nice camera, but it's getting old in the DSLR world. I was psyched when they first started showing teasers of the camera, but when it came out, I was REALLY disappointed. I was expecting a larger viewfinder with the ability to chage focus screens, something like the one in the old F3HP. Instead, it has the same viewfinder found in the D600. The sensor is nice, but it's only 16mp, not bad but smaller than the D600's 24mp, and that extra size DOES make a difference. It
...Show more

I wouldn't personally but I have a lot of XF lenses and of course as Leighton mentioned it's a bit old techwise. I also really liked and was interested in the Df too, but it's high price was an obstacle for me. I also found the sensor choice to be a bit odd. If they made one with the D810 sensor and/or perhaps mirrorless I bet it would get more traction.

Oct 11, 2016 at 10:28 PM
jigesh
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Would you trade an X-Pro2 for a Df

I had Df, loved it. If you have Nikon FX primes, preferably the f1.8 ones, you will enjoy a Df. Sensor is fantastic, auto-focus in low light is good but not great.

I wouldn't swap it for an X-Pro2 though (which also I had and loved it). If possible, keep both; or wait till 2017 when Nikon is expected to release a Df style 100-year anniversary body and you may be able to get a Df cheaper at that time.

Oct 11, 2016 at 11:06 PM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Would you trade an X-Pro2 for a Df

I loved the RAW file output with the D700 lower with 12 MP's but great tonal graduation. Very much like the A7s in some respects and I am amazed how large I can print. I was about to acquire the Df as I loved the size and form factor for a FF. The FF 16MP is more than enough.

The attraction of Df is size and weight for a FF DSLR, and is a hybrid old and new. The Df is now 3 years old and is becoming dated.

It would be great if you can find a used Df and keep both for now. I would also suggest to try the XT2 too as this may cure you

Oct 11, 2016 at 11:24 PM
Weez
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Would you trade an X-Pro2 for a Df

charles.K wrote:
...I would also suggest to try the XT2 too as this may cure you

Indeed it might.

Oct 11, 2016 at 11:36 PM
rbf_
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Would you trade an X-Pro2 for a Df

charles.K wrote:
I loved the RAW file output with the D700 lower with 12 MP's but great tonal graduation. Very much like the A7s in some respects and I am amazed how large I can print. I was about to acquire the Df as I loved the size and form factor for a FF. The FF 16MP is more than enough.

The attraction of Df is size and weight for a FF DSLR, and is a hybrid old and new. The Df is now 3 years old and is becoming dated.

It would be great if you can find a used Df and keep
...Show more

Yeah good comparison. I wonder if they'll do the same and put the sensor from the D5 in the new version coming out?

Oct 11, 2016 at 11:38 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Would you trade an X-Pro2 for a Df

The DF is my third most favorite camera on the planet. I actually like it better than the Fuji stuff ... except for on thing ... they really, really, really dropped the ball in one very important areas ... the ability to manual focus, with manual focus AIS lenses.

That takes it from being my favorite body to third place. I'll let you guess which the two bodies ahead of it are.

Oct 12, 2016 at 12:26 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password