New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Help Choosing A System!

dills84
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help Choosing A System!

Hi All... I've been banging my head against the wall trying to choose a camera system.

I have unique feature desires. I'm an avide hiker, climber, mountaineer and I'd love to find a very compact system to take on trips. These trips can vary from extreme cold -20F conditions to relatively warm conditions. Key is form factor, weight and size... I weigh all of my gear on a gram scale so every little ounce counts.

I'm torn between the Sony A6300, Fuji XT10, or a Micro 4/3 system like the Olympus E5. Micro 4/3 looks really desierable since the lenses are so compact. I'm mainly interested in wide fast glass in the 24mm equivalent range along with a fast 50mm equivalent prime.

The downside to the M43 system is obviously image quality, low light, and getting that sweet bokeh subject isolation.

The Sony A6300 seems really awesome, but the prime lenses are super expencive and not very compact.

Fuji seems like an excellent option as well but it's poor video quality is kind of a bummer... I don't plan to shoot 100% video but having the option to make something nice looking would be ideal. the 4K abilities of the A6300 are an obvious advantage.

The other side of the delema is I will be using this system for family pictures and events. Portrait type shots... where FF or APS-C has a big advantage to me.

Guide me gear heads... I can't make up my mind. Will the olympus M43 system bum me out? The Oly OMD E-M1 with 12-40 kit is on sale for a really good price. I'm tempted!

Oct 11, 2016 at 09:36 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help Choosing A System!

It sounds like you need to list your priorities in order of importance. If ultra-high ISO is important, than the M43 will probably leave you a bit sad...but for me anyway, a big part of it is embracing the gear for what it is and shooting with its strengths. I shoot FX/DX Nikon when I am working, but when I travel I now use an Olympus M43. Color and sharpness have all been great, and the size of the cameras is a big improvement. With the E-M1 MkII announced, you'll probably snag the original E-M1 for a good deal now.

Oct 11, 2016 at 11:19 AM
dills84
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Help Choosing A System!

Amazon has the EM1 with 12-40 F2.8 PRO lens for $1299 brand new. Not bad considering the 12-40 is around 900 bucks by itself!

Oct 11, 2016 at 11:20 AM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Help Choosing A System!

The Olympus E-M1 and E-M5 Mark II cameras have 5-axis image stabilization and it works perfectly even with 300mm lenses. The 3-axis does not work well at all and with lenses longer than 60mm the shutter speed is critical.

The Electronic View Finder is a big help in low light as it amplifies the light which you do not get with a DSLR. It also allows for having the camera braced against your head for steadier shooting.

Olympus provides the widest range of prime and f/2.8 constant aperture zoom lenses. The E-M1 has a dual shutter and it would freeze up in cold weather (34 F degrees. No such problems with the E-M5 Mark II camera. It may be fixed with the E-M1 Mark II but I would not bet on it.

Image quality is excellent with the MFT cameras with the pro level lenses. People looking at MFT cameras taken with the kit lenses faulted the camera and format when the problem was with the lenses.

Oct 12, 2016 at 05:12 PM
Rhizo
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Help Choosing A System!

I used to shoot Olympus. The system has come a long way now. At the time, the 35-100mm F2 was crazy expensive. Now that lens can be had for a bargain price.

If you are thinking Olympus, the colors are tough to beat. I'm a huge fan of them. Lenses to consider are the 7-14mm F4, 35-100mm F2, 14-35mm F2, 35mm F3.5 Macro. The later may come as a surprise. It may be the cheapest lens, but it is fun to use, light, and incredible sharp.

I linked you three of my favorite Olympus shooters. I liked following them as I acquired lenses to get an idea of what can I do with X lens.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/awallphoto/4648461031/in/faves-36945650@N07/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/alvinj88/5715641326/in/dateposted/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gapey/3460720301/in/album-72157622923418050/

Oct 18, 2016 at 10:06 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.