Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · How to be a wedding photographer?

itsmeavi

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How to be a wedding photographer?

Hi All,

I am considering to be a wedding photographer. I have been thinking about doing this for couple of years but couldn't do it. There are mainly two reasons why I am considering this:
1) I want to learn as I love photography
2) Extra source of income

Considering I am going to start ground up and I don't have any lenses or setup. Can anybody please advice me how to proceed.

I am thinking to start as assistant to a professional wedding photographer. Do some weddings free of charge initially to get some more experience.

Equipment wise I am thinking about starting with buying either of these options

Option 1)
Canon 5d iii with
24-70 II 2.8 or 85mm 1.8 + 50mm 1.8
later 70-200mm 2.8

Option 2)
Nikon D750
24-70 VR II 2.8 or 85 1.8 + 50mm 1.8
later 70-200mm 2.8

Other options Fujifilm xt2, canon 5d mark iv

I live in Scotland so darkness, clouds and rain will be a challenge most of the time.

These options I have chosen after looking online so could be completely useless list.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Oct 11, 2016 at 08:02 AM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How to be a wedding photographer?

One is zero
Two is one

You need a second body...I'd argue it should be something equivalent to your primary body.

24-70 is a good lens and should be anyone's first by default.

Oct 11, 2016 at 08:26 AM
gnjphotography
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How to be a wedding photographer?

Consider two refurd D750's for around $3,000 and the 24-70 non-VR refurb for around $1300. Add the 50mm f/1.8 and you are still under $5,000. The D750 is a great performer. There are short falls with the camera, but it is more than capable of wedding photography.

What do you have now?

Also consider the Godox/Cheetah/Flashpoint Li-on battery flash units. You will need flash, even as an assistant or second shooter.

The real question is what photo experience do you have? Have you ever used a DSLR or worked with people in a photo shoot before? Have you ever used flash or OCF? Have you ever run a business or had any experience writing contracts, selling services or products and what kind of editing skills do you have?

There is a lot that goes into wedding and portrait photography beyond the gear. The gear is the tools to get the job done, but everything else is just as important or more important than the gear.

Not trying to discourage you, I just want you to know the reality of what it takes to be successful.

-Greg

Oct 11, 2016 at 08:54 AM
jcolman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How to be a wedding photographer?

Learn photography and lighting first and foremost. You won't have time during a wedding to fumble around with your settings.

Oct 11, 2016 at 09:12 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How to be a wedding photographer?

Welcome to Fred Miranda wedding section...

Read the stickies... top 2 post.
Still very relevant information.

You will need to love shooting weddings. Why.... money should not be the driving force. This is a tough business. Many shooter enter the market and only last a couple of years. Understand the business side including your time.

side note: if you get really good you can not turn around and sell it like a restaurant or carpet installation company... It is all about you and how you see, how you create the experience for your clients and how you deliver any and all products to clients.

Treat this as a business first. Branding, tools(cameras-gear) for the trade and understanding your craft.
Remember, there is no 1 magic statement or lens that makes you great at wedding photography - instantly.

Really.... how you interact with people is probably the biggest hurdle to climb. Some of us are better than others in this regard. For me... still learning and growing in this area.

-Mark

Edited on Oct 11, 2016 at 09:26 AM · View previous versions

Oct 11, 2016 at 09:24 AM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How to be a wedding photographer?

Step 1 - Buy camera.

Step 2 - Add the word 'Photography' to your last name. Be sure to create a Facebook group and Instagram account!

Step 3 - Filters are out of touch; painting in fake sunshine and even fake backgrounds and fake bokeh is the new wave. Keep the raw's for when trends change in 3 years so you can look less foolish and change them accordingly.

Step 4 - Profit!

Oct 11, 2016 at 09:25 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How to be a wedding photographer?

Get non-wedding paid work (couples, families, dogs, whatever) and do that for a while until you've earned enough money to accumulate the equipment needed to even think about weddings, and of course gaining experience. It would be really hard to have minimum gear to shoot weddings for under $10k--and I am talking about buying used/refurbished. Talking about specific gear would be redundant as it has been discussed over and over on the forum here, so feel free to look around if that is your question.

The above response from @jeremy_clay is equal parts jaded and accurate, depending upon the kind of photographer you wish to become.

Oct 11, 2016 at 09:49 AM
itsmeavi

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How to be a wedding photographer?

gnjphotography wrote:
Consider two refurd D750's for around $3,000 and the 24-70 non-VR refurb for around $1300. Add the 50mm f/1.8 and you are still under $5,000. The D750 is a great performer. There are short falls with the camera, but it is more than capable of wedding photography.

What do you have now?

Also consider the Godox/Cheetah/Flashpoint Li-on battery flash units. You will need flash, even as an assistant or second shooter.

The real question is what photo experience do you have? Have you ever used a DSLR or worked with people in a photo shoot before? Have you ever used flash or
...Show more

Thanks mate. Yes I have used DSLR in past (D80, 18-70mm, 50mm 1.8, SB 700) but have no professional experience and to be true never used that equipment to its potential even as it was only used for family outings/functions. Currently I don't have any equipment as my bag with all gear was stolen 3 years back

There is lot of valuable information I got here. I know its a substantial task to start a business so want to take one step at a time as suggested.

Oct 11, 2016 at 10:47 AM
itsmeavi

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How to be a wedding photographer?

jcolman wrote:
Learn photography and lighting first and foremost. You won't have time during a wedding to fumble around with your settings.

Yeah I agree need to learn this photography first so don't want to ruin somebody's precious moments. What is the best way to approach learning? joining a local photography club... taking classes?

thnx

Oct 11, 2016 at 10:49 AM
itsmeavi

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How to be a wedding photographer?

Ziffl3 wrote:
Welcome to Fred Miranda wedding section...

Read the stickies... top 2 post.
Still very relevant information.

You will need to love shooting weddings. Why.... money should not be the driving force. This is a tough business. Many shooter enter the market and only last a couple of years. Understand the business side including your time.

side note: if you get really good you can not turn around and sell it like a restaurant or carpet installation company... It is all about you and how you see, how you create the experience for your clients and how you deliver any and all products to clients.

Treat
...Show more

Thnx Mark, I will go through stickies today evening and try to absorb the info. I think working with a professional team will help me in learning the ins and outs of the setting and selling business as well.

Oct 11, 2016 at 10:52 AM
itsmeavi

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How to be a wedding photographer?

jeremy_clay wrote:
Step 1 - Buy camera.

Step 2 - Add the word 'Photography' to your last name. Be sure to create a Facebook group and Instagram account!

Step 3 - Filters are out of touch; painting in fake sunshine and even fake backgrounds and fake bokeh is the new wave. Keep the raw's for when trends change in 3 years so you can look less foolish and change them accordingly.

Step 4 - Profit!

Yeah that's why I came to this forum to get expert advice on buying my first gear
As suggested above for me I will add Step 2 as learn photography before advertising.

Oct 11, 2016 at 10:55 AM
mb126
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · How to be a wedding photographer?

I'd honestly strive to become really good at several types of photography first, then decide if you want to do weddings.

The BEST decision I made, by far, was not trying to do weddings from the beginning.

Oct 11, 2016 at 11:13 AM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · How to be a wedding photographer?

BSPhotog wrote:
Get non-wedding paid work (couples, families, dogs, whatever) and do that for a while until you've earned enough money to accumulate the equipment needed to even think about weddings, and of course gaining experience. It would be really hard to have minimum gear to shoot weddings for under $10k--and I am talking about buying used/refurbished. Talking about specific gear would be redundant as it has been discussed over and over on the forum here, so feel free to look around if that is your question.

The above response from @jeremy_clay@ is equal parts jaded and accurate, depending upon the kind of
...Show more

Agree with this. Do some portrait sessions first to get down posing, lighting, etc. Learn the business and learn the client interactions. Nothing worse than buying all this gear and finding out that you don't like to deal with people or don't want to go out and market and sell yourself.

Oct 11, 2016 at 12:25 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · How to be a wedding photographer?

do you have ANY photography experience? if not, then why aim so high as a beginner? I am curious? I was a photographer for decades before I ever considered photographing a wedding.

Oct 11, 2016 at 12:32 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · How to be a wedding photographer?

Keep your day job, if you don't have one get one.

At this point do not accept money for weddings, it would be unfair to those clients. Learn photography first, offer to go with another wedding photographer as an assistant to see how the day works. Do that a few times, then offer to be a 2nd shooter, do that for awhile, then do some free weddings from friends or relatives. If you make it this fart then you can consider to start charing for your services.

Oct 11, 2016 at 12:53 PM
TheyCallMeJ
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · How to be a wedding photographer?

MRomine wrote:
[...] If you make it this fart then you can consider to start charing for your services.

I laughed out loud reading this. I felt like shitting in my pants when I first started, the farting urge is real.

(Of course I am aware of the typo)

Serious advice to the OP, take a dump before any important assignment, always. Holding your bladder just before an hour long ceremony is brutal. The pain is excruciating once you realize that the bride wants a gazillion group photos in front of the church as they walk out.

Oct 11, 2016 at 01:05 PM
itsmeavi

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · How to be a wedding photographer?

I have a day job and will keep that one for sure
As i said money is secondary at least for first few years till I am capable enough for doing professional work.

Thanks guys, advice taken. I will start with taking classes first, join local photography club and then start doing some family friends portraits. Once i am bit confident will try to be second shooter/assistant for local professional photographer.

Any suggestions for gear please.

Oct 11, 2016 at 01:12 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · How to be a wedding photographer?

itsmeavi wrote:
Any suggestions for gear please.

Any of the cameras you mention above are more than capable. Then good starter lenses are a 24-70 and 70-200 f2.8

Oct 11, 2016 at 01:29 PM
JohnnyArguedas
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · How to be a wedding photographer?

Bravo on wanting to work on your craft and knowledge before diving into weddings. It is highly demanding work with a lot of pressure, but it can be immensely rewarding as well. I've been shooting weddings for 12 years and I still absolutely love it.

Many times wedding photographers are in need of non-shooting assistants. This can be a good way for you to both take photo classes while at the same time observe how a pro handles a wedding without the pressure to get images.

Like others have said, have a backup plan. You will need to ALWAYS be prepared for something going wrong, as you won't get a second chance. If you can't afford to buy two cameras at once, buy one and rent another, preferably the same model, so that you don't have to think about different controls if your main camera is out of commission. If going the Nikon route the D750 is a great option- small, light, a great sensor, and great autofocus. Nikon also makes a great stable of f1.8 prime lenses. They're priced really well for their performance. As to which ones to get- well, that will depend on what will become your style. I tend to shoot with a 35mm and 85mm for most of the day. Others like shooting with a 50mm and longer. As you practice you will learn what you like the best.

Oct 11, 2016 at 01:37 PM
itsmeavi

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · How to be a wedding photographer?

JohnnyArguedas wrote:
Bravo on wanting to work on your craft and knowledge before diving into weddings. It is highly demanding work with a lot of pressure, but it can be immensely rewarding as well. I've been shooting weddings for 12 years and I still absolutely love it.

Many times wedding photographers are in need of non-shooting assistants. This can be a good way for you to both take photo classes while at the same time observe how a pro handles a wedding without the pressure to get images.

Like others have said, have a backup plan. You will need to ALWAYS be
...Show more

Thanks mate... I really appreciate constructive inputs i got on this forum.

I personally prefer Canon skin tones over Nikon (as i have seen it on comparison websites) not sure if I can get similar colors on Nikon.

Oct 11, 2016 at 02:21 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.