Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Tamron 70-200

terkim99

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tamron 70-200

Hello, I picked up a used version of the Tamron 70-200 (non-IS) to use to shoot volleyball, basketball and soccer at the junior high and high school levels. Does anyone use this lens successfully with these sports? I am hoping to try it out at a volleyball game tonight. While using it around the house for testing purposes, I found the camera to be a little persnickety about getting the initial auto-focus. Once the first focus is obtained, it is quicker to find the next. However, I am wondering if it will be quick enough to catch sports plays. I am not opposed to learning to work with the lens, but want to know if it is something that is achievable.

Thank you!

Oct 11, 2016 at 12:32 PM
jwilson66

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tamron 70-200

I use it all of the time with girls' HS softball...great lens. I don't have any focusing issues with mine so perhaps your cameral settings need to be changed.

Oct 11, 2016 at 05:37 PM
WillWeaverRVA

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tamron 70-200

I've used that lens to shoot college basketball before. I feel that the AF speed is just fine even in low light conditions (although since it's a screw-driven lens, it really depends on your camera) - I actually prefer it over the Sigma version as it doesn't have the reliability issues that Sigma's HSM can have.

Oct 11, 2016 at 07:19 PM
terkim99

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tamron 70-200

My camera is a 70d. What settings may need to be changed?

Oct 12, 2016 at 01:56 AM
terkim99

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tamron 70-200

My camera is a 70d. What settings may need to be changed?

Oct 12, 2016 at 01:56 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

WillWeaverRVA

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tamron 70-200

There's not really any settings you need to change since the AF speed of that lens is tied directly to the 70D's internal focus motor. The lighting in your house is probably the culprit since from the look of things, the lens focuses fine once it's prefocused. You shouldn't really have that issue elsewhere unless the lighting is truly horrible.

Oct 12, 2016 at 01:34 PM
terkim99

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tamron 70-200

Thanks for the info!

Oct 14, 2016 at 10:53 PM
CycledawgFL

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tamron 70-200

I have a Nikon mount version of the lens. It's a fine lens however, I've found it is a slow focusing lens when I've used it for sports. That is on both my D3s and D2x bodies. It is at least consistent. For me, I'll be selling it and picking up a Nikon VRII model.

Oct 16, 2016 at 01:48 PM
Assocracer
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tamron 70-200

I bought one of these specifically for shooting my stepdaughter's basketball and softball games. It takes awesome pictures. I can post some when I get home later tonight. I too notice that the AF speed is a bit slow up once it's locked it stays locked. I first shot it on a 50D and now mainly use it on a 1D2 and 5D2. It's a really great lens for the price.

Nov 03, 2016 at 07:12 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password