Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Best POCKET SIZED compact under $500?

GroovyGeek
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best POCKET SIZED compact under $500?

I very much enjoyed the Canon S series of high end compacts over the years - nice compact design, raw and as much manual controls as you want, well thought out external controls, logical menus, usable image quality up to ISO 400 on the later models.

Then I switched to the Sony RX 100 and have hated life since. Sure, image quality is nice but the ergonomics, external controls, and menus make me want to throw it in the trash cash every time I touch it. I avoid using the thing because I dislike it so much.

So, given that the S120 has not been replaced, what are my options? The general parameters are

a) highly pocketable, no bigger than an Sxxx or an RX100. This eliminates the LX100 and other well regarded compacts. The size thing is non negotiable for me.

b) Raw

c) $500 and under, used and refurbished things that fit in this price range are OK

d) good external controls. If I have to dig into menus for most things I will oass

e) decent high ISO, if it has usable ISO 800 that will be great. By usable I mean something that can be printed 8x11 with some judicious post processing

f) is not a Sony. I am never buying a Sony camera for the reasons outlined above.

Oct 11, 2016 at 07:20 AM
mortyb
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best POCKET SIZED compact under $500?

Ricoh GR. Superb.

Oct 11, 2016 at 07:29 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best POCKET SIZED compact under $500?

Canon G7X
Dedicated Exposure Compensation dial
Programmable lens ring
Programmable function ring

I 'never' use the menus while taking pictures.

Oct 11, 2016 at 09:06 AM
GroovyGeek
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best POCKET SIZED compact under $500?

alundeb wrote:
Canon G7X
Dedicated Exposure Compensation dial
Programmable lens ring
Programmable function ring

I 'never' use the menus while taking pictures.

Was looking at it but it seems a bit large. Is it jeans pocketable? Was considering the G9x instead which looks very much like an S120 descendant.

Oct 11, 2016 at 02:31 PM
coffeeshakes
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best POCKET SIZED compact under $500?

Fuji X70. Great classic external controls, large sensor, great lens, touchscreen to set focus point, excellent film simulations if you go for that sort of thing. According to the internets the lens isnt as sharp as the GR, but I find it extremely sharp at every aperture, so take those reports with a grain of salt.

Oct 11, 2016 at 02:34 PM
darrellc
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best POCKET SIZED compact under $500?

GR. Great ergonomics and you can shoot it one handed, which I now realize is an awesome feature for a point and shoot you grab and shoot with.

I looked at the X70 as I have an X100T but the lens cap and lack of retractable lens seems like it adds complexity vs GR in role as point and shoot.

And GR black and white jpeg is fantastic straight out of camera.

Oct 11, 2016 at 04:32 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

alundeb
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best POCKET SIZED compact under $500?

GroovyGeek wrote:
Is it jeans pocketable? Was considering the G9x instead which looks very much like an S120 descendant.

Yes, it is jeans pocketable. The size is not noticably different from RX100 size.
The G9x misses the EC dial and the rear wheel, something that would reduce the user-friendliness to me.

Oct 11, 2016 at 05:27 PM
taran
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Best POCKET SIZED compact under $500?

I picked up the Nikon Coolpix A when they were on closeout for $299. Same sensor as the GR, might be worth it if you can find one cheap.

Oct 11, 2016 at 05:41 PM
curious80
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Best POCKET SIZED compact under $500?

GroovyGeek wrote:
I very much enjoyed the Canon S series of high end compacts over the years - nice compact design, raw and as much manual controls as you want, well thought out external controls, logical menus, usable image quality up to ISO 400 on the later models.

Then I switched to the Sony RX 100 and have hated life since. Sure, image quality is nice but the ergonomics, external controls, and menus make me want to throw it in the trash cash every time I touch it. I avoid using the thing because I dislike it so much.

So, given that
...Show more

I have gone through a similar path. Had an S95, then went to the RX100. Great IQ for its size, but not very satisfying in usability . Also in the indoor artificial light shooting, the pictures sometimes looked pretty lifeless. Plus I mainly used it only at the wide end, because of the slow aperture at longer focal lengths. So I went over from RX100 to a Canon EOS-M + 22mm f2 package. That gave visibly superior output compared to RX100 in a slightly larger package. However AF, while OK for stills, was just way below far for video. And no zoom can become limiting in your "carry everywhere" camera. So now I am at G7x which seems to work pretty well so far.

Oct 11, 2016 at 06:23 PM
GroovyGeek
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Best POCKET SIZED compact under $500?

alundeb wrote:
Yes, it is jeans pocketable. The size is not noticably different from RX100 size.
The G9x misses the EC dial and the rear wheel, something that would reduce the user-friendliness to me.

I had missed that one, thanks for pointing it out. Indeed the absence of the rear dial curtails options for tuning. I just wished they had not done the articulating display and brought down the overall thickness. In a camera that size I see little use for it, but maybe this is because I have never had it available. I would very much like to have something like this on my D800E though.

Oct 12, 2016 at 06:12 AM
GroovyGeek
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Best POCKET SIZED compact under $500?

Managed to snag a LNIB G7x for $350 from my local Craigslist. Man, the difference of how good it feels in the hand, how much sense the menus make, the tactile difference between the power on and shutter buttons, and the distinct click at half-press of the the shutter button make all the difference in the world. Somewhat larger than I like them, they could have avoided that by eliminating the articulating screen, but I am not going to complain about that one too much. The RX100 is going up for sale as soon as I can find the time to take a few pics. Whew, what a relief...

Oct 16, 2016 at 12:22 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password