New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Calibrating NEC PA241W

Hotspur
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Calibrating NEC PA241W

I use SpectraView II, latest version. When I calibrate, SpectraView sets brightness to 141 cd/m3, which is very bright. When I get prints made they're way too dark, because I'm adjusting to what I see on screen. I got the printer profile from my lab and 8x10" printouts of their test image. Sure enough, my monitor makes the test image look way too washed out. I brought the monitor down to 60 cd/m3 in Multiprofiler, and the image on screen is still too bright compared to the printouts. I could go down to 40, but Multiprofiler complains, says I'm in
"Reduced CR."

This thread advocates setting brightness till you get a match, but 40 cd/m3 sounds awfully low.

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=45600.0

In Lightroom, when I check the Show Destination Gamut Warning, I see the magenta areas that are out of gamut for the printer. They're in deep red and shadow areas. I cannot get rid of them with curves or shadows. Should I just ignore, let the printer do its best?

Oct 11, 2016 at 03:40 AM
howardm4
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Calibrating NEC PA241W

on the 241 monitor w/ CCFL backlights, I would think that they are unstable at such low cd/m2 values. Only the newer 242 (LED backlight) would be stable.

That said, I think you'd benefit from raising the lamp(s) used to view the print.

I wouldn't worry too much about the gamut warnings, they tend to be overdramatic.
try a real print out.

Oct 11, 2016 at 03:51 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password