New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Speedbooster on 6300/6000

chiron
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Speedbooster on 6300/6000

I apologize if there is a long thread on this that I missed, but my search only turned up a couple of very brief, aborted threads.

What has been people's experience with the Metabones Speedbooster Ultra on the 6300 or the 6000. I am primarily interested in still photographs, though I am sure others would also want to know about video.

For stills, how is the image qualit, the AF speed, and access to special features of the 6300/6000 like eye-af, tracking, etc.

Thanks.

Edited on Oct 12, 2016 at 09:14 PM · View previous versions

Oct 10, 2016 at 08:46 PM
TheEmrys
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Speedbooster on 6300/6000

I don't think any speedboosters provide autofocus. Mine sure doesn't, for my Minolta MD glass. But the ones for a mount or EF don't have the logic. That was introduced in the Metabones Smart Adapter. They autofocus, but don't include a the focal reducer.

Corners will be soft. They don't really sharpen up, either.

Oct 12, 2016 at 11:40 AM
chiron
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Speedbooster on 6300/6000

Hmmm... I am getting different information than this regarding the Speedbooster Ultra. A firmware change in June is supposed to have given EF to e-mount lenses autofocus in AF-S and also eye-af on the 6300/A7 cameras.

Metabones also claims, since sometime in July 2015, that their new glass element actually improves the performance (sharpness, contrast) of lenses edge to edge. They have published MTF curves for an Otus 50mm 1.4 with and without a Speedbooster Ultra on a Panasonic camera that shows some improvement with the speedbooster. Wide-angle lenses presumably would be a harder test (and tele lenses easier), and I haven't seen anything on those.

Here are the links:

http://www.metabones.com/article/of/Metabones_Adds_Native_AF

http://www.metabones.com/article/of/Speed_Booster_ULTRA_0.71x

Oct 12, 2016 at 07:38 PM
matthewm
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Speedbooster on 6300/6000

I have a Viltrox speed booster and it's okay. With my wife's 50/1.2 L, focus was slow but would be fine for some stuff. Given that it's a USM lens, I was able to coax it closer and it snapped in pretty quickly but not usable for moving subjects. Face detection worked.

Oct 12, 2016 at 08:42 PM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Speedbooster on 6300/6000

Yes, Canon EF are the only lenses with AF support to Sony E on the Ultra SB's. All the rest are dumb.

http://www.metabones.com/products/details/MB_SPEF-E-BT2

Electronic
Fast contrast-detect AF on all E-mount cameras.
Phase-detect autofocus support on A7RII, A7II and A6300.
Smooth iris with the latest Canon and Tamron SP lenses.
Supports 5-axis in-body image stabilization of A7II, A7RII and A7SII. (Distance information from lens required; 3-axis IBIS if lens does not transmit distance information.)