Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · 5d mark4 or 1dx mark2?

Frans3huis

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5d mark4 or 1dx mark2?

Hi,

This is my first post. I work for an advertising company and I do a good deal of their photography work. I privately own a 5Ds, 1D mark4 and some zoom lenses that I use for that. I also do some landscape/travel work in my free time, as well as local community sports. I like the 1D mark4 best to hold and work with but since I got the 5Ds there is no way around it: the IQ is much better for what I do. Additionally, the 1D mark4 is getting old and has occasional power drops and card failures. It needs to be replaced or repaired.

My boss says she wants me to do some video work alongside the photography assignments. There is budget to buy me a 4k capable dSLR. Not that we have 4k demanding clients at this point but she wants to be prepared if they do come along some day. The board doesn't really care about cost.

Long story short as I'm a Canon shooter I can choose either the 5d mark4 or 1dx mark2. I am allowed to use the camera for private stuff too, but the company's interest should be #1 deciding factor. We do have some sports related clients and having the high fps option is good, so I'm inclined to go with the 1Dx mark2.

As I don't have any experience with either body, I'm wondering if you could help me work out some pros and cons.

1Dx mark2 obviously has the fps and durability advantage, but it has less resolution for photos and from the reviews I read that the 5D mark4 has some additional LV features that the 1Dx mark2 does not have.

Let's say my jobs will be 80% photos and 20% video. What do I lose if I choose to go with the 1D body? Are there any pros for the 5d mark4 that need to be mentioned? Remember price is not really important here, but features and ease of use are.

Thank you.

Frans

Oct 10, 2016 at 07:33 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5d mark4 or 1dx mark2?

If video is really important... than go with 1DXii.
Otherwise the 5Div is the best camera canon has produced outside the 1DX/1DXii

How do I know .... I have shot 3 weddings so far... I have a video partner looking into the 1DXii or 5Div.
In the video world, the 1DXii has more tools and overall video performance to get the job done.

-mark

Oct 10, 2016 at 08:09 PM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5d mark4 or 1dx mark2?

4k on the 5D4 is cumbersome due to the used codec. I'll look into that if I were you.

Oct 10, 2016 at 08:34 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5d mark4 or 1dx mark2?

Daan B wrote:
4k on the 5D4 is cumbersome due to the used codec. I'll look into that if I were you.

Same codec on 1DXII, alas it's mjpg a PITA for anything but stills extraction.

Seriously I would consider getting a 5D4 + Sony a6300/6500. Let the Sony do the UHD video and you can use Canon glass via metabones adapter and still AF and IS. Still cheaper than 1DXII and you have more flexibility.

Oct 10, 2016 at 09:51 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5d mark4 or 1dx mark2?

Rent the 5DIV and 1DX II.

If I were making money from this, I'd be more inclined to get the 1DX II.

EBH

Oct 10, 2016 at 10:04 PM
ggreene
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5d mark4 or 1dx mark2?

It's too bad Canon hasn't addressed the 1DC yet. A 1DC2 is probably what you really want as the ultimate sports/video combo with no money constraints.

In the mean time I would say the 1DX2 is what you need.

Oct 10, 2016 at 10:55 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5d mark4 or 1dx mark2?

ggreene wrote:
It's too bad Canon hasn't addressed the 1DC yet. A 1DC2 is probably what you really want as the ultimate sports/video combo with no money constraints.

In the mean time I would say the 1DX2 is what you need.

I doubt that the funky 1Dc type of body will see the light of day again.

There are better form factors for the pro video. I suspect that the "C"' version did not sell all that well compared to the base 1DX.

EBH

Oct 10, 2016 at 11:16 PM
ggreene
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5d mark4 or 1dx mark2?

I was surprised the 1DX2 was not a merging of the two but Canon is very protective of Cinema features.

Oct 10, 2016 at 11:35 PM
kosin
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5d mark4 or 1dx mark2?

The biggest disadvantage of the 5DIV's 4K video is the 1.7x crop - this prevents one from using a standard wide lenses such as 24-70mm lens etc. 1DXII 4K video is cropped as well but at 1.3x

If you do not have to shoot at 4K and you will be taking 80% of photographs, I believe you may benefit more from more megapixels of the 5DIV.

Oct 11, 2016 at 01:16 AM
Frans3huis

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5d mark4 or 1dx mark2?

Thank you for your opinions. Great and polite, friendly forum. Congrats on that.

I wonder if I made it 100% clear that my 5ds will continue to be used so that covers detail where and when we need it. The 1D mark4 will be sold.

Further examination of features shows that the 5D mark4 cannot shoot 100fps slowmotion, or so it is listed in the specs. This will be a dealbreaker as we have some sport company clients. Varying from athletic (running) shoes, T-shirts, and field materials. I did use my iPhone 6s slomo feature (100fps!) for developing concepts and even though it's just a Phone, the director was quite impressed with its potential in creating a movie that can impress.

We also use moving stills in our videos of fast sports action. I had quite a few good ones even with my 5Ds (5 fps) but it would be convenient to have high fps at our disposal now and then. Obviously pixel dimensions don't matter much for that.

I had a look at the a6300, which seem to have impressive 4k video performance as well as 100fps slomo, but I read that FullHD has a disappointing in camera processing. This may be still OK so it's certainly an option.

Another idea could be 1dx + a6300 + 5ds (to retain high fps option), but my personal idea is that the 1dx mark2 can take care of all video and high fps work and will only need the 5ds for when we need large print like ad boards.

The question is whether 20mp will suffice for all our final products. We may still need to shoot some action on 5ds if we need to print big, like bus stop billboards. I don't see the 5d mark4 higher resolution as a decisive plus, as it's only 22% more pixels than the 1Dx mark2, the 5ds is 58% more.

Waht do you think?

Frans

Oct 11, 2016 at 01:29 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5d mark4 or 1dx mark2?

Just FYI.... billboards do not need the 5DS/R resolution.
You are how close to billboards?
The 5d ii/iii are just fine for billboards.
Same with 1DX.

Mark

Oct 11, 2016 at 02:47 PM
milkod2001
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5d mark4 or 1dx mark2?

if company pays for it, get the best you currently can: 1DX mark2

Oct 11, 2016 at 03:07 PM
Frans3huis

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 5d mark4 or 1dx mark2?

Thank you Mark. You are right of course. I may have used the wrong words. We do bus stop ads that are printed on rolling plastic. Size is 8 feet high and viewing distance (people waiting on the bus) can get as close as 3 feet, though the ad is clearly visible from within the arriving bus. We like to get resolution as high as we can for those.

Bill boards typically get a lot bigger though viewing distance is yet again much wider. So yes for the bill boards 20mp will be more than sufficient, I agree.

Frans

Oct 11, 2016 at 03:31 PM
Frans3huis

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 5d mark4 or 1dx mark2?

milkod2001 wrote:
if company pays for it, get the best you currently can: 1DX mark2

Yes I was looking for the trade offs. So far the only 5d mark4 assets seem to be smaller body size (more similar to 5ds), same batteries, direct exposure upon tap to focus in LV and higher pixel count.

As I am also used to the 1D mark4 body size and weight and the body size won't be much of an issue. Menu structure between 5D/1D will be similar I suppose.

I believe the 1dx mark2 is the way to go for me.

Oct 11, 2016 at 03:44 PM
garyvot
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 5d mark4 or 1dx mark2?

Frans3huis wrote:
Yes I was looking for the trade offs. So far the only 5d mark4 assets seem to be smaller body size (more similar to 5ds), same batteries, direct exposure upon tap to focus in LV and higher pixel count.

As I am also used to the 1D mark4 body size and weight and the body size won't be much of an issue. Menu structure between 5D/1D will be similar I suppose.

I believe the 1dx mark2 is the way to go for me.

I agree with your choice. For action shooting, there are only marginal advantages in the 5D IV vs. the 5Ds, whereas the 1DX II is the best available. The reduced crop for 4K video is a plus for the 1DX II as well.

Beyond some additional resolution (which you have covered with the 5Ds) the main shooting innovation that the 5D4 offers over the 1DX II is continuous focus tracking in Live View using Dual Pixel AF for stills. I believe the 1DX II (and all other Canons) only supports single shot AF when using DPAF focusing for stills photography.

How significant this is an open question, since neither camera can do this using viewfinder shooting, which most stills photographers do most of the time...

Oct 11, 2016 at 04:01 PM
rabbitmountain
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 5d mark4 or 1dx mark2?

I've never been a big fan of shooting stills using LV. My ability to compose seems much better when looking through the VF. I would even prefer shooting video through the VF if it were possible. I may try some dual focal glasses, Dennis Taylor size, to get the LV work going.
Wait a minute, I suppose with the a6300 I can in fact shoot video through the VF, right? That is something to have a look at...

To the OP: yes for you the 1Dx2 seems to make most sense. Still debating purchase myself....

Ralph

Oct 11, 2016 at 07:35 PM
Frans3huis

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 5d mark4 or 1dx mark2?

Thank you Gary and Ralph. My eyes are very good, I have no trouble switching from the scene to the back of the camera. Being able to use the touch screen for video seems very convenient.

Thank you all my mind is set towards the 1dx mark2.

Frans

Oct 11, 2016 at 07:54 PM
kosin
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 5d mark4 or 1dx mark2?

Frans3huis wrote:
Thank you for your opinions. Great and polite, friendly forum. Congrats on that.

I wonder if I made it 100% clear that my 5ds will continue to be used so that covers detail where and when we need it. The 1D mark4 will be sold.

Further examination of features shows that the 5D mark4 cannot shoot 100fps slowmotion, or so it is listed in the specs. This will be a dealbreaker as we have some sport company clients. Varying from athletic (running) shoes, T-shirts, and field materials. I did use my iPhone 6s slomo feature (100fps!) for developing concepts and even though
...Show more

5DIV records 120fps video only at 720 not 1080 as 1DXII.
From what you wrote, I believe that 1DXII is a perfect fit for your situation.
Have fun!

Oct 11, 2016 at 11:37 PM
gt3rs
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 5d mark4 or 1dx mark2?

I shoot 80% photo and 20% video mostly actions and sports + private stuff and I use a 1Dx II (+ a 1dx). The 1Dx II is just perfect for it. It is the only DSLR/Mirrorless currently in the market that can do 4k 60fps (and at 4:2:2) and the video quality is really incredible, if you consider also the great DPAF it makes a perfect camera for action videos. 1080 @120fps is good but not great you will notice a big difference between 4k 60 and 1080 120 but it is good enough to intercut it when you need a slower slow motion.

For photos is a tad better than the 1dx (more consisted AF, metering and 14 fps). The DR is quite useful but is there only at low iso <=400. High iso noise is similar to the 1Dx but way better than your 1D IV

Remember that for video you will need to invest in CFast cards, good mic, good video head and eventually a gimbal + external monitor so it will all add to the cost. 4k editing also requires a beefy computer so if you don't have a powerful one yet you will need it.

Unfortunately the 5D IV seems to be not so great for video with the higher crop and slow rolling shutter and no good slow motion capability.

Oct 12, 2016 at 11:58 AM
ross attix
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 5d mark4 or 1dx mark2?

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=australian+youtube+comparing+canon+5d+iv+video+to+sony+a6300&view=detail&mid=233047B63A007FE106CA233047B63A007FE106CA&FORM=VIRE

This guy did a nice 4 way video comparison, including the 5D IV, and the Canon video was not good. Sony A6300 was great.

Oct 12, 2016 at 12:31 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password