Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · A6300 in super cold weather?

dills84
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A6300 in super cold weather?

Does anyone have experience with the A6300 in super cold weather? I want to buy a camera to bring mountaineering, ice climbing, and winter hiking. This will also double as my "family cam".

My GoPro Hero 4 couldn't handle the cold, the batteries would die within 30 seconds unless I kept it close to my body or near my hot water bottles. Some days can get as low as -15F to -20F

So I'm wondering if anyone has used the 6000 series in these kinds of conditions!

Oct 10, 2016 at 06:10 PM
Slalom
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A6300 in super cold weather?

Not A A6300 user, but I have read battery reviews for Canon DSLR. In normal conditions they give up to close to 1000 shots, but take them out in the cold and 10 minutes or several shots and the battery warnings flash.

So the way to get around it is to take lots of batteries, keep most in a warm place then swap an unused one into the camera and swap the camera one two a second warm pocket. Keep the camera warm, when not using it and repeat until pocket one is exhausted Now use pocket two as a source and put the twice used ones back in the first pocket.

This is related to operating temperature range of the battery http://www.all-science-fair-projects.com/project1220_142_1.html so don't blame the gopro. Not sure if there is a warm battery compartment in the consumer product ranges.

Oct 10, 2016 at 10:43 PM
arduluth
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A6300 in super cold weather?

I don't have the A6300, but I have used two Sony cameras that use the same batteries, NEX 5R and A7. From everything I've seen and read, I'd expect the same performance out of the A6300.

Any camera (including a phone) will have some potential issues with and require some battery management at temperatures that cold. Comes with the territory.

An edited answer of mine from a similar thread:

I wouldn't hesitate to bring the Sony out in cold temps. I've used my A7 and NEX-5R in genuinely cold temps, -30 C and below. Other than battery life, I haven't experienced much. The refresh rate of my NEX-5R slowed down after spending an hour out in at -32 C, but I've never seen that in the A7.

At -8 C, battery life will be impacted if you're not keeping the battery warm somehow. I wouldn't bother warming the battery at that temp unless it was under 50%. As usual, the bottom half of battery life always seems to go
...Show more

Oct 11, 2016 at 01:26 AM
mogul
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A6300 in super cold weather?

Run a little 4k video, I bet that warms everything up

Oct 11, 2016 at 01:52 AM
MJKoski
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A6300 in super cold weather?

This may apply to a6x00 as well: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1415406

If a6300 can run on USB-power then heated USB-battery pack will make it work for ages.

Oct 11, 2016 at 08:25 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A6300 in super cold weather?

Are you using the camera for occasional shots and then returning to your pocket / warm place ? If so the ambient temperature shouldn't be an issue. I used an A7 (same batteries ?) in temperatures down to -50C without any problem. Batteries kept close to my body.

I also stuck those hand/feet warming pads on the battery compartment exterior. Buy the 12 hour ones and 2-3 will last the whole day.

Oct 11, 2016 at 09:01 AM
ravensight

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A6300 in super cold weather?

I'd like to know this, I might be working in a project at -11 C degrees (30~60 minutes)

Oct 12, 2016 at 07:41 PM
pizdets17
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A6300 in super cold weather?

I've used an a6000 in winter at -20, -25 with no issues. Of a USB pack is better for battery life but as long as you keep the spare batteries on your body somewhere and flip out the lcd so it doesn't get cold from the camera you should be fine. This was taken at -23c, 65 exposures of 18 seconds

Star Trails by dmitri voyevoda, on Flickr

Oct 12, 2016 at 07:58 PM
dills84
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A6300 in super cold weather?

pizdets17 wrote:
I've used an a6000 in winter at -20, -25 with no issues. Of a USB pack is better for battery life but as long as you keep the spare batteries on your body somewhere and flip out the lcd so it doesn't get cold from the camera you should be fine. This was taken at -23c, 65 exposures of 18 seconds

Great shot! what lens?

Oct 12, 2016 at 08:15 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

pizdets17
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · A6300 in super cold weather?

12 rokinon fisheye

Oct 12, 2016 at 08:39 PM
bjornthun
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · A6300 in super cold weather?

BHphoto sells battery packs that you could connect to a dummy battery, instead of using the flimsy USB port. Tethertools is one of the brands for this.

Btw. Olympus brags about their cameras being certified for -10 C.

Oct 12, 2016 at 09:24 PM
singularity001

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · A6300 in super cold weather?

When I was on New Zeland's South Island this past August I had a few nights where I was shooting stars with the A7RII. Nothing too cold, maybe -5 celcius and the batteries were draining really fast in the camera. Thankfully I had 3 batteries on me the first night. The second time I brought 5 just in case.

Oct 14, 2016 at 04:21 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · A6300 in super cold weather?

I can tell you from personal experience that at -46C the NP-FW50 lasts exactly 23mins.

Oct 14, 2016 at 02:27 PM
dills84
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · A6300 in super cold weather?

Gary Clennan wrote:
I can tell you from personal experience that at -46C the NP-FW50 lasts exactly 23mins.

That's 23 minutes longer than my gopro... :-D

I think the solution for me is to carry an external power bank.

Oct 14, 2016 at 02:28 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · A6300 in super cold weather?

dills84 wrote:
That's 23 minutes longer than my gopro... :-D

I think the solution for me is to carry an external power bank.

If you plan to shoot for extended periods of time, that would also be my choice. BUT - if you are ok with swapping batteries often (in/out of jacket), you can make do. If you are warmer than around -20C, I wouldn't even bother with the external battery pack though.... At extreme cold temperatures (and I mean REALLY cold), the internal permanent battery will keep dying which caused all sorts of other bothersome issues. Usually not a problem in "regular" cold weather though....

Oct 14, 2016 at 02:40 PM
dills84
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · A6300 in super cold weather?

Gary Clennan wrote:
If you plan to shoot for extended periods of time, that would also be my choice. BUT - if you are ok with swapping batteries often (in/out of jacket), you can make do. If you are warmer than around -20C, I wouldn't even bother with the external battery pack though.... At extreme cold temperatures (and I mean REALLY cold), the internal permanent battery will keep dying which caused all sorts of other bothersome issues. Usually not a problem in "regular" cold weather though....

The problem with carrying multiple batteries is the actual process of swapping them out. I'm usually in a situation where I'm wearing heavy mittens or gloves and can't fiddle around with small switches, or risk dropping small batteries (think on top of a mountain 70MPH wind, -30F Windchill).

Oct 14, 2016 at 02:48 PM
MJKoski
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · A6300 in super cold weather?

Gary Clennan wrote:

This is most interesting. My R2 exposed to cold for a long time lasted about 10 minutes in ~ -30C but then again there was quite high wind blowing around. Battery was freshly charged FW-50 kept in jacked pocket inside the jacket with a chemical heat pack. This may be affected by the use of adapter as I used MB4-T with a canon lens (24mm TS-E mk2).

Oct 14, 2016 at 03:18 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password