Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Anyone Shot a Full Football Game in B&W?

PureMichigan
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone Shot a Full Football Game in B&W?

Folks -- pro and college are obviously fun to shoot but nothing beats shooting your own kid's Junior High football game .... until about Game 5 when everything starts to look and feel the same; same kids, same plays.

Has anyone delivered a full football game in B&W in recent years? If so, I'd like to see what that gallery looks like

Since I do my kid's game for free, obviously, I may take some artistic control and just try it just to keep myself (and presumably the other parents) engaged. Curious to hear the experiences of others who may have tried it.

If I do this, I don't want to give myself the "out" of doing some in color and some in B&W.

Oct 10, 2016 at 01:59 PM
lionsfan54
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone Shot a Full Football Game in B&W?

Sure. Every week. When I was in high school, in the 90s! Developed it all myself too. hahah.

Gotta love pushing the Kodak Tri-X to 1600 baby!

Oct 10, 2016 at 03:09 PM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone Shot a Full Football Game in B&W?

I don't want to answer a question WITH a question but -- why?

As lionsfan said, when we were kind of forced to shoot high ISO film, the B&W didn't show grains as bad sometimes. But in general, no..

The colors are one of those things that really add to the images of the games. The sod, uniforms, skin colors, game lines...all of that is part of those 'really great' images we love to look at.

Oct 11, 2016 at 12:31 AM
BillP57
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone Shot a Full Football Game in B&W?

Why shoot in B&W when you can do a bulk conversion in post and have both?

Bill

Oct 11, 2016 at 07:29 PM
PureMichigan
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone Shot a Full Football Game in B&W?

Yes, that would be the plan; just do the conversion so I would have both. But I won't mix the stream that I make public.

As to why ... well, just like to throw myself a little challenge. I like some of the old B&W coverage as much as the newer stuff. I'm going to give it a try this weekend.

Oct 12, 2016 at 06:34 PM
PureMichigan
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anyone Shot a Full Football Game in B&W?

Yes, that would be the plan; just do the conversion so I would have both. But I don't want to mix the stream that I make public. As to why ... well, just like to throw myself a little challenge. I like some of the old B&W coverage as much as the newer stuff. I'm going to give it a try this weekend.

Oct 12, 2016 at 06:35 PM
PureMichigan
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anyone Shot a Full Football Game in B&W?

Yes, that would be the plan; just do the conversion so I would have both. But I don't want to mix the stream that I make public. As to why ... well, just like to throw myself a little challenge. I like some of the old B&W coverage as much as the newer stuff. I'm going to give it a try this weekend.

Search in Used Dept. 

PureMichigan
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anyone Shot a Full Football Game in B&W?

gordorad
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Anyone Shot a Full Football Game in B&W?

So what is the plan?

Oct 13, 2016 at 01:35 AM
PureMichigan
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Anyone Shot a Full Football Game in B&W?

Sorry guys .. no idea what happened with the multiple posts. Apparently a glitch as they all posted at the same time.

Oct 13, 2016 at 02:22 AM
gchappel

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Anyone Shot a Full Football Game in B&W?

Our football games are played in a cave. Most of the fields I need iso 25000 to get 1/800 @ f2.8. I shoot with the d4. Anything over 16000 goes to black and white.
Looking at my galleries about 50% of my shots are posted in bw.
By the way- the kids really like a gritty bw conversion- makes them look mean and older.
gary

Oct 16, 2016 at 10:42 AM
guero_gordo

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Anyone Shot a Full Football Game in B&W?

It would be really cool if you had an event with throwback uni's.

Nov 12, 2016 at 07:51 PM
Daniel Smith
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Anyone Shot a Full Football Game in B&W?

Sorry, but the 'shoot in color and convert' just doesn't do it for some of us.
When shooting B&W my mindset is different than when working in color. I tend to key on tonal ranges and changes and relationships differently than I do with color.

Why not shoot the game with B&W film for a quarter and the rest with B&W digital and then do a comparison of some of the prints so you can get the feel for any differences?

Nov 12, 2016 at 10:29 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password