FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · First Try Out: Olympus Digital 50mm f2 macro ED 4/3 Lens

e6filmuser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · First Try Out: Olympus Digital 50mm f2 macro ED 4/3 Lens

For some time I have been aware of the reputation of this lens, both as a macro lens and as a portrait lens. I decided to check out reviews and was very impressed, just as one became available at well under £200. DP Review “Certainly in terms of the studio results, it's the nearest we've yet found to a technically perfect lens”.
I am very pleased with the manual performance of my Kiron 105mm but can see potential for an AF lens giving a different perspective e.g. for flowers. Also. I have some Olympus 4/3 lenses, TCs and adapters. So, as of yesterday, the lens is mine. I have spent only a few minutes with it.

Life is strange. Before I was persuaded to move into digital I was complaining that I would not be able to cope without full aperture focusing and exposure. Having worked exclusively with stopped down lenses, for macro, for several years, I now find full aperture is going to take some getting accustomed to.

First I set up some pot pourri with some varied textures and fine details. For that I used my standard macro of f16 and flash (aperture priority, rather than the usual manual mode).

The outdoor shots (aperture priority) were a mixture sun and cloudy, with a lot of air movement, especially for the poppy (last image). For the poppy, I found that if I got the lens focused (AF) and the flower then moved before I could press the shutter release, and if I waited for it to return, and pressed the shutter release, the AF got it sharp.
These images are just a quick test of unaccustomed AF and full aperture shooting.

The crosseye stereo, at f9 is a stop or two wider than my standard for these.

So, apart from selecting the aperture, I was not as in control of the lens as I would like to have been but the results are encouraging. I suppose I had better hang on to it, if only to keep it out of the hands of some wannabe portrait photographer.

EM-1, Olympus Digital 50mm 1:2 macro ED 4/3 Lens, (f16, f9, f9, f9, f11), hand-held.

Harold

Oct 10, 2016 at 12:44 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · First Try Out: Olympus Digital 50mm f2 macro ED 4/3 Lens

Since I posted this I have been outside and tried it (just focusing, no exposures) on non-macro.

I find the autofocus fast, with sometimes a little delay e.g if you last used it on infinity and open up on close-up. It is more than fast enough for me. I wish I could say the same for my 70-300.

The main point of this comment is that, as the review said, it is distinctly susceptible to flare if pointed in the general direction of the sun. However, I don't currently have a hood.

Harold

Oct 10, 2016 at 08:09 AM
savingspaces
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · First Try Out: Olympus Digital 50mm f2 macro ED 4/3 Lens

Great shots and love the clarity. Nice job.

Oct 15, 2016 at 01:05 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · First Try Out: Olympus Digital 50mm f2 macro ED 4/3 Lens

savingspaces wrote:
Great shots and love the clarity. Nice job.

Thanks. I have now posted shots of Bumble Bees and Hoverflies.

Harold

Oct 15, 2016 at 01:31 AM
Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · First Try Out: Olympus Digital 50mm f2 macro ED 4/3 Lens

Looking at your photos, now I want that lens again

Oct 15, 2016 at 09:01 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · First Try Out: Olympus Digital 50mm f2 macro ED 4/3 Lens

Jorgen Udvang wrote:
Looking at your photos, now I want that lens again

Well, you can't have mine!

It does what it does very well but I could not manage the range of subjects and magnification I use with just the one lens.

Harold

Oct 16, 2016 at 02:14 PM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.