Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2016 · Will you buy the new 24-105 II lens?

JohanEickmeyer
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Will you buy the new 24-105 II lens?

robinlee wrote:
Probably the first Canon 24-105mm F4L IS II review with sample images..

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/canon_ef_24_105mm_f4_l_is_ii_usm_review/conclusion/

The crops of the sharpness samples are poorly done. Very poorly.

The sample images are also poorly done, but you can dig around and get a better sense of the quality. For being on a 30MP sensor, the images are actually pretty good. The problem is trying to find wide open shots that have all four corners within the focus plane. Whomever did those failed at both producing decent looking images and/or at least getting some shots of planar surfaces so we can judge image sharpness from corner to corner and center.

The 105 (mislabeled as 122mm) shot of the building at f5.6 looks pretty good in the places that are in focus.

It also looks like the sharpness test crops were done at a close distance, which for some Canon zoom lenses makes for much softer results. This also means that the focal plane at f4 is too shallow for a non planar surface like a stacked shelf of books.

Oct 14, 2016 at 03:52 PM
rabbitmountain
• • • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Will you buy the new 24-105 II lens?

arbitrage wrote:
After seeing those tests, I would be inclined to go with the 24-70 f/4. 70-105 shows a significant drop in sharpness. 70 on the 24-70 is better and I'll just crop the 5DSR file to get to 105.

I have a 5DsR too. And I understand your thinking as the sensor is amazingly good. But one of the great things of my 24-105 was that at 105mm the DoF got substantially less than at 70mm. Great for shoulder portraits as I usually use f/5.6 for normal shoulder portraits shot between 85-105mm.
Seeing what the new lens can do at 24mm, if the Tele end is at least as good as the v1, I may just jump at one.

Oct 14, 2016 at 04:41 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Will you buy the new 24-105 II lens?

gdanmitchell wrote:
I'd be inclined to wait for more competent testing before drawing conclusions.

I haven't drawn any conclusions Just commenting on the same (and only) review everyone else is.

My favorite reviews are Roger Cicala's, because he has so many samples to draw data from.

Oct 14, 2016 at 05:14 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Will you buy the new 24-105 II lens?

ShutterPonch wrote:
That review seems poorly done, IMO.

I'd agree with that....

I will wait for further tests to make my final decision on 24-70f/4 vs this lens.

Oct 14, 2016 at 05:37 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Will you buy the new 24-105 II lens?

I don't know what to make of a bookcase test. How are the positions controlled to be in the same plane?

EBH

Oct 14, 2016 at 05:53 PM
rabbitmountain
• • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Will you buy the new 24-105 II lens?

EB-1 wrote:
I don't know what to make of a bookcase test. How are the positions controlled to be in the same plane?

EBH

I did such a test a while ago. Lining up the books along the shelf rim is easy. Getting the camera 100% perpendicular to the shelf is not easy. I used a large mirror in the centre to make sure the camera was aligned well.

24mm bookshelf shots are very close and prone to errors. Yet the 24mm shots are good and the 70-105 are bad. Field curvature with the 24-105 v1 used to be present on the wide end, not beyond 35mm. It's strange.

Oct 14, 2016 at 06:00 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Will you buy the new 24-105 II lens?

The outdoor tests are strange too. The sharpest parts are mainly not in the center. I don't know if the lens has some funky field curvature, the camera AF was not calibrated or what.

EBH

Oct 14, 2016 at 07:43 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Will you buy the new 24-105 II lens?

EB-1 wrote:
The outdoor tests are strange too. The sharpest parts are mainly not in the center. I don't know if the lens has some funky field curvature, the camera AF was not calibrated or what.

EBH

Or if the test itself was not conducted carefully. I suggest we not make much of this "test" until we see more from reliable sources.

Oct 14, 2016 at 08:50 PM
Tom_W
• • • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Will you buy the new 24-105 II lens?

I'll wait for more testing. It should do well, if Canon's recent lens history is any indication. They've really moved in a positive direction at the wide end these last few years.

Oct 14, 2016 at 09:20 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Will you buy the new 24-105 II lens?

The shipping date is still October 31, so how are people legitimately getting them to test already?

EBH

Oct 14, 2016 at 10:40 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Will you buy the new 24-105 II lens?

rabbitmountain wrote:
I did such a test a while ago. Lining up the books along the shelf rim is easy. Getting the camera 100% perpendicular to the shelf is not easy. I used a large mirror in the centre to make sure the camera was aligned well.

24mm bookshelf shots are very close and prone to errors. Yet the 24mm shots are good and the 70-105 are bad. Field curvature with the 24-105 v1 used to be present on the wide end, not beyond 35mm. It's strange.

Plus it depends what you want the lens for - landscape shots are not typically focussed so close and depending on the field curvature you focus middle or edge to optimize. I think we need to wait for lenrentals or photo zone.

Oct 14, 2016 at 10:59 PM
rabbitmountain
• • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Will you buy the new 24-105 II lens?

Scott Stoness wrote:
Plus it depends what you want the lens for - landscape shots are not typically focussed so close and depending on the field curvature you focus middle or edge to optimize. I think we need to wait for lenrentals or photo zone.

Well theoretically one would expect the hyperfocal distance to be around the same as the v1. But it may have shifted a bit depending on the optical formula, # of elements used. Also, it's a challenge for this new lens to be sharp across the frame for landscapes on today's large sensors like the 5DsR and now 5D4. We could come to the conclusion that limited resolution has allowed us to get away with much more apparent DoF than we will see now. I looked up some old 5D Classic keepers with my copy of the v1. I could get away with some f/5.6 24mm landscapes in those days which would be unthinkable now with he 5DsR and 16-35/4IS. Its linear resolution is exactly is exactly twice as high as that of the 5D Classic.

Oct 14, 2016 at 11:19 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Will you buy the new 24-105 II lens?

v1 of 24-105 is a really good lens except at 24mm to 30mm where the barrel distortion and weaker edges show up.

Its hard to believe that canon would put out a new 24-105 that is not better or as good as than v1. No one would buy it. And people would not upgrade. Expecially hard to believe given 100-400, 24-70, 70-200 v2's were significantly better. Perhaps they improved the short end at the expense of the long end but I am hopeful that its better in most spots.

Sometimes lens do well up close and not as well at infinity. And sometimes its the opposite. The problem is that tests are done at different focus spots necessarily and people then generalize e.g. 24-105 is weak optically cas opposed to weak at the short end focussed close - and then it gets picked up and repeated as a truism.

In addition, some lens have a flat field curvature at infinity, some concave and some convex. This shows up as soft corners with a flat close close in target and focussed in centre but may not be a problem at infinity depending on the scene.

In addition - lens rentals tests at infinity, the digital pictures tests close in, photo zone tests close in. And they give different conclusions. e.g. the canon 11-24 in photo zone at 11mm does not do well but at photo zone but it does really well on lens rentals tests because one is focussed close in and the other at near infinity. uwa's don't test well focussed close.

Anyway my point is that we need to wait for more testing in order to know that the v2 is not worth upgrading. And a good lens for you (shooting architecture close) might not be a good lens for me (shooting landscape at infinity)

Oct 15, 2016 at 01:00 AM
rabbitmountain
• • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Will you buy the new 24-105 II lens?

Roger and Bryan will both notice any significant field curvature at all FL's. I agree, let's wait and see...

Oct 15, 2016 at 01:27 AM
Tom_W
• • • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Will you buy the new 24-105 II lens?

EB-1 wrote:
The shipping date is still October 31, so how are people legitimately getting them to test already?

EBH

I wonder if retailers already have some in stock, but have to hold them until the official Canon 'release' date. In which case, folks like Roger already have begun testing and will have the data available the minute Canon lets them loose.

Just a theory...

Oct 15, 2016 at 07:23 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Will you buy the new 24-105 II lens?

That is probably it, though I would expect the lenses to arrive just days prior.
I don't doubt that the lens is genuine, but it is odd.
I'd rather see tests from a site that buys them commercially, same as we do.
I've may cancel one order next week and only receive one copy.

EBH

Oct 15, 2016 at 03:34 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Will you buy the new 24-105 II lens?

I saw a poster over on DPR from Singapore got his 5D4 with 24-105II kit today. I guess the lens is out there in kits anyways.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4065833

Oct 17, 2016 at 10:48 PM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.