New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · x-rite Color Checker Profiles and DNG

Bearmann
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · x-rite Color Checker Profiles and DNG

I noticed that x-rite says to open your raw file in ACR and then save it as a DNG before obtaining the color profile. Would there be any difference if you converted your raw file to DNG using the stand alone Adobe DNG converter instead, rather than loading the raw file into ACR (or Lightroom)?

Does saving the original raw file or a JPG preview within the DNG file affect the ability of the x-rite software to generate a camera profile?

Unrelated to x-rite, do you think you lose anything by converting your raw files to DNG files?

Oct 09, 2016 at 06:45 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · x-rite Color Checker Profiles and DNG

DNG is a 'RAW' file ... just different from what the camera makers offer in that the contents of the data itself are publicly sourced.

Converting the original RAW file using either ACR or the Adobe DNG Converter will result in the same exact original pixel data being stored in the resulting DNG file.

Keep in mind, you only need to convert one image to DNG for the purpose of creating the Camera Calibration profile. Once created, the profile can be applied to the original camera maker's RAW file or DNG created from those originals with zero difference in results.

Oct 09, 2016 at 07:10 PM
skid00skid00
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · x-rite Color Checker Profiles and DNG

DNG is a *container* for the RAW data. The data is NOT changed. The container tells the software how to convert the RAW.

Oct 09, 2016 at 08:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bearmann
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · x-rite Color Checker Profiles and DNG

I'm thinking I might covert files to DNG so that I can continue to use CS6 with the new cameras. It seems to me that I read somewhere that there was some data loss when converting raw to DNG even though there is not supposed to be any. Just seeking opinions of anyone who found this to be so in their processing.

Oct 10, 2016 at 12:14 AM
melcat
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · x-rite Color Checker Profiles and DNG

Bearmann wrote:
Would there be any difference if you converted your raw file to DNG using the stand alone Adobe DNG converter instead, rather than loading the raw file into ACR (or Lightroom)?

Adobe will be building both the DNG converter and ACR from the same libraries. If the DNG converter you have isn't a corresponding version (usually the case, because either your Photoshop is discontinued or you don't bother doing the DNG converter updates), there could be a difference. But it is unlikely to affect the X-rite software in any way.

Does saving the original raw file or a JPG preview within the DNG file affect the ability of the x-rite software to generate a camera profile?

No, DNG is a "tagged format". The X-rite software will ignore data saved under tags it isn't interested in. This will include the original raw. At least on Mac I think it also includes the preview, since they get you to drag the DNG raw file form the Finder onto the X-rite window (so Finder is reading the preview). But JPEG is a very stable format, and there's no risk to including it.

Caveat: older versions of the X-rite software had a lowish size limit on DNG files it would open, and including the original raw might tip you over that. This has been fixed; make sure you download the latest version.

Unrelated to x-rite, do you think you lose anything by converting your raw files to DNG files?

Yes:

1. Adobe are known to have thrown away certain raw information that they never thought would be of use but later turned out to be. (Dark pixels, IIRC.) In later versions of DNG, they added tags for that data. A current example is probably Canon's new dual pixel raw - I haven't checked, but I'd be surprised if Adobe has had time to define tags for it and update their software.

2. Some raw processing software has just refused to read non-camera DNG, for no believable reason.

3. Audit trail. Many nontechnical people treat the camera raw (.CR2, .NEF, .ARW) as "the original" and DNG as "not the original" and this is reflected in competition rules, and may affect legal disputes. If you do adopt a DNG workflow, archive the original raws somewhere. This can be inside the DNG file, but I'd consider that error-prone as years from now you might inadvertently run some tool on a DNG which strips them.

Oct 10, 2016 at 01:21 AM
Bearmann
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · x-rite Color Checker Profiles and DNG

Thank you melcat and all others who responded.

Oct 11, 2016 at 01:24 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password