New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Auto crop/trim

Entity
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Auto crop/trim

Hi folks!

I'm currently on a "portrait" type project where we're shooting A TON of people on light gray background. We do a full figure shot, both sides, half figure, a couple of closeups, etc, about 10-15 images per person. We use white seamless, but don't light is, so it's light gray and light gradient of the bottom. The thing that's cousing me a lot of work is cropping the images in post.

I usually end up with about 1000+ images that all need to be cropped, since I need a simmilar amount of negative space on all of them. So I was thinking, is there a way to automate this, some custom script for lightroom/photoshop? A script that would recognize the figure/content in the photo then ad x amount of margins (ie negative space), and auto crop the image, keeping the same 3:2 ratio.
Anyone heard of something like that?

TIA,
Mat

Oct 09, 2016 at 03:51 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Auto crop/trim

can't think of an automated way to do it in LR but you can speed things up by using the sync command .

the way I would probably approach it is to create a couple of master crop images that would suite your needs . then create a collection for each of your crop formats and put each of your master crops in their respective collection .

now you can drop any of the images to be cropped into 1 of those collections and then select your master and then all the other images and then SYNC . you only need to tick the crop check box so only that parameter is synced to all the other images .

Oct 10, 2016 at 05:49 AM
Entity
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Auto crop/trim

Nah, that won't work, images are too unique and that would still require a lot of work.
I found a script for photoshop and gimp that's meant for scanned items, like postcards. It scans the whole page, detects different items on them, cuts them out, alignes them and saves them as new items.
And another script that's meant for scanned text books. It scans the image, detects text and any images, crops to that text and saves it.

I'm sure it could be done. Could work simmilar to selection tool in PS. I probably have background tones within 10bit difference so selection shouldn't be hard. Person is always somewhere in the photo, so all the script needs to do is to detect the outer background, then crops/trims the image to align the person in the center of the image while leaving x amount of background and 3:2 ration. I'm sure it could be done.. just need to find the right script of someone who knows how to make it

Thx anyway!

Oct 12, 2016 at 05:27 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Auto crop/trim

If the composition on each type of shot is identical and the subjects are seated or standing on a mark, then run a PS action. But note that one variable is body size - the amount of negative space will vary, and the crops will look different, if you have a petite person and a hulk.

Oct 12, 2016 at 06:59 AM
Entity
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Auto crop/trim

Yes, that's why I need semi-inteligent script that will detect the background (localized monotone color with 5-20bit difference), create a virtual mask around the subject, then contracted the mask by x pixels (to leave x amount of negative space around the person) and cropped. That way I'd have the same x border around everyone, no matter how big/tall the person in the pictures is or where his position is.

Composition is always the same but with different people and the speed we're doing this thing it's impossible to position everyone exactly in the center of frame, with the same amount of space around them. Some have more space above the head, some are positioned more to the left/right, and that's the thing I'd like to fix.. To have everyone centered with the same negative space.

Oct 12, 2016 at 04:57 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password