New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Batteries not holding charge

Old Judge

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Batteries not holding charge

I just inserted what I thought was a fully charged spare battery (OEM Sony) into my fairly new A7R2 and found that it was only 57% charged (according to the display in the camera.) So I put in another (57%) and another (59%.) Given that the batteries are rather marginal in the first place, I want to get as much out of them as I can. So losing roughly 40% of their charge sitting in my bag for a couple of weeks is very troubling.

When I put a newly charged battery into the camera, the camera's display shows it as fully charged and yet when I just put in several batteries that had been fully charged but had not been used for a short time, they are reported to be only a bit more than half charged.

What is going on? Are the batteries spontaneously discharging? Is the camera's display inaccurate? And, perhaps more important, is there anything that I can do?

Oct 09, 2016 at 12:59 PM
WestTexas Sky
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Batteries not holding charge

I have not noticed drain when out of the camera, but my A7S will drain one in 5 days sitting there off.

Oct 09, 2016 at 02:04 PM
waterden
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Batteries not holding charge

Have you tried using another charger? Sounds to me as though that may be causing your problem.

Oct 09, 2016 at 03:14 PM
TheEmrys
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Batteries not holding charge

Any chance it is an aftermarket charger? They can develop some issues (talked about a LOT at Dyxum).

A little Sony tidbit is that if you leave the battery on the official charger for an extra hour, you increase the battery efficiency a bit. It ends up being about 80-100 extra shots.

Oct 09, 2016 at 03:51 PM
notherenow
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Batteries not holding charge

That is just the way that Sony batteries work.

I have three that I rotate around and as I use my camera pretty much daily, I charge one or two pretty much daily so all have 100% or close to it all the time.

The batteries give me plenty of shots if used right away though after a couple of years solid use (my oldest was from an A7 in 2013 and my newest with my A7s in early 2014), I am now getting to the point I will need three new batteries soon.

I have a Nikon D50 and the battery in that lasts for months without being used.

I look at it a bit like I would petrol/gas. I make sure I have what I need when I go but the way it works for me is I always have 100% on my three batteries.

If I was shooting for a time away from the grid or at a festival that I needed (say) more than 1000 shots in a day, I would take my Pocket Socket hand crank generator and charger with me and it will give me any extra power for some more shots.

Oct 09, 2016 at 06:42 PM
Peter Zeedijk

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Batteries not holding charge

Out of the camera they hold charge for weeks at 99 to 100%.
In camera, put away(non usage) they drain pretty fast, so i always take them out.
Have original, DTSE and Wasabi, all the same story.

Oct 09, 2016 at 07:20 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

waterden
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Batteries not holding charge

My a7r ii has not been used for several weeks but the battery is still at 79%. If the wifi had been on it would have expired within days.

Oct 09, 2016 at 07:27 PM
TheEmrys
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Batteries not holding charge

waterden wrote:
My a7r ii has not been used for several weeks but the battery is still at 79%. If the wifi had been on it would have expired within days.

Then something is very wrong with your camera body. The wi-fi shouldn't draw anything, regardless if the camera is on or off.

Gary Friedman wrote an excellent book on the a7's, and made supplements for the II's and s. He put a voltmeter on it and tested it with the every combination of EVF, LCD, and Wi-Fi. Wi-Fi being on made no difference whatsoever.

Oct 10, 2016 at 05:33 PM
retrofocus
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Batteries not holding charge

waterden wrote:

That's exactly it! I made the same observation with my A7R. I disabled all WiFi activity by using the camera in the airplane mode. It saves a lot of battery time - both in use and when it is turned off.

Oct 11, 2016 at 11:44 AM
waterden
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Batteries not holding charge

Quite! Voltmeters measure voltage, not current. You need a multimeter for that.
retrofocus wrote:
That's exactly it! I made the same observation with my A7R. I disabled all WiFi activity by using the camera in the airplane mode. It saves a lot of battery time - both in use and when it is turned off.

Oct 11, 2016 at 01:46 PM
TheEmrys
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Batteries not holding charge

waterden wrote:
Quite! Voltmeters measure voltage, not current. You need a multimeter for that.

You are right. He had a multimeter on it. Checked the book, and the error is mine.

Oct 11, 2016 at 04:25 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password