Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Bantam Hockey Week 4

sfurr

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Bantam Hockey Week 4

Well I am trying to reduce the noise but I think I need more practice. I have another game tomorrow and I am going to attempt to improve on these. Here is what I have so far. RAW with NR from PSE saved as JPEG for posting. I think I need to delve more into how PSE handles NR.

sfurr 2016

Canon EOS-1D X    EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens    160mm    f/4.0    1/800s    6400 ISO    0.0 EV  

sfurr 2016

Canon EOS-1D X    EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens    105mm    f/4.0    1/800s    6400 ISO    0.0 EV  

sfurr 2016

Canon EOS-1D X    EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens    135mm    f/4.0    1/800s    6400 ISO    0.0 EV  

sfurr 2016

Canon EOS-1D X    EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens    160mm    f/4.0    1/800s    6400 ISO    0.0 EV  

sfurr 2016

Canon EOS-1D X    EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens    120mm    f/4.0    1/800s    6400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Oct 09, 2016 at 03:14 AM
KGipper

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Bantam Hockey Week 4

Nice action shots and nice tight crops but, these seem slightly under exposed. Wondering why you shot at f4 rather than wide open ? Also focus on the first #1 seems to be on the skates not the faces and on #2 it would have been nice to see the goalies face in focus to see his reaction. Perhaps a bigger aperture and a slightly slower shutter speed would help get a lower ISO and thus less noise. Are you shooting hand held or with a monopod, and were these through the glass ? The noise seems ok but with some adjustments could be better.

Oct 10, 2016 at 01:39 AM
sfurr

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Bantam Hockey Week 4

KGipper,

I was shooting at f4 to get more DOF. Trying to get the things in focus that you mentioned the face with the skates in #1 and the goalies face in #2, but as you can see I am not successful. I am trying to get to a lower ISO to help with the noise and am moving back to 1/640. All the shots are through green tinted glass (with all the crud you could imagine) and handheld. The lighting is good but the glass is another story.

Scott

Oct 10, 2016 at 03:15 AM
jim2312
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Bantam Hockey Week 4

sfurr,

These look much better for your setup as compared to your first post bantam hockey week 3, but I am still surprised at the grain. these are at 6400 but what did you do for post processing? these shot in raw, if so why? next game shoot raw and jpg and look at the difference, if you get exposure correct in camera the jpg files will be correct and have noise reduction in camera. You then can reduce it more in LR Did you get lightroom, if so download the trial as I am sure it is much better in noise reduction than photo elements. Lightroom stand alone is only $149 and if you want to subscribe PS and LR are something like $10/month, a drop in the bucket compared to what that rig cost and you will see the difference. The glass is what is killing it but I don't think that would hurt the grain, the colors yes.

Oct 10, 2016 at 12:13 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sfurr

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Bantam Hockey Week 4

Jim,

Thanks for the suggestions. I have been shooting completely in RAW. I did not consider shooting both JPEG and RAW at the same time for a comparison. Shooting both would provide the side by side for the NR. Excellent suggestion! I am going to do that this coming weekend for the next game.
I assumed that LR would be better than PSE, I think it is time to go that route as well.

Again thank you for taking the time to provide feedback and suggestions.

Scott

Oct 10, 2016 at 04:10 PM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Bantam Hockey Week 4

I guess depending on the monitor being used to view this.....

I personally find exposure to be fine. The ONE thing that jumps out at me is the boards / net crossbar horizon/ perspective lines. If the lines are off, it makes my eyes work to see the subject. I would pay attention to that.

And as far as 'peak action' moment.. you got what you got on little guy hockey! So winner winner chicken dinner mate.

Oct 11, 2016 at 12:26 AM
sfurr

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Bantam Hockey Week 4

John,

Thank you for the horizontal perspective. I have been concentrating so much on improving the exposure and noise that this fell out of my cross check.

I will be posting more this evening from today's game. Hopefully they will be better.

Scott

Oct 22, 2016 at 03:17 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password