Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · 80D, do the images actually measure up?

Daniel Smith
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 80D, do the images actually measure up?

Don't see much on this camera even though it is the newest sensor Canon has out. Supposed to have better dynamic range than any Canon before.

How do the images measure up to the other Canon bodies?

Oct 08, 2016 at 02:36 PM
stuarty
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 80D, do the images actually measure up?

Mmm be nice to see some....would help me decide between keeping 70d or trying m5

Oct 08, 2016 at 02:46 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 80D, do the images actually measure up?

Daniel Smith wrote:
Don't see much on this camera even though it is the newest sensor Canon has out. Supposed to have better dynamic range than any Canon before.

Low ISO images are similar to the other 2016 bodies. It's still rather noisy at high ISO. Mainly it has an AA filter that really should be gone at 24 MP APS-C. What are you using it for?

EBH

Oct 08, 2016 at 04:09 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 80D, do the images actually measure up?

Daniel Smith wrote:

hmmm I don't think it has the most dynamic range of any canon before - it has more dynamic range than any other aps-c camera. But 5dsr is better from iso 400 on by a significant amount. And 80d is only 1/2 stop better at iso 100 than 5dsr. And 1dx2 and 5d4 are significantly better everywherein iso performance.

It is significantly behind everywhere to ff with respect to s/n ratio, color....

And no matter what you do - it will have 1/2 the resolution of the 5dsr (50mpx vs 24mpx and only using 2/3 of the glass [eg dxo records about 34 effective mlx on 600v2 /5dsr vs 14 on a 70d cropper)

So really good for a apsc but quite a bit short when compared to newest ff

https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Canon-EOS-80D-versus-Canon--EOS-1D-X-Mark-II-versus-Canon-EOS-5DS-R___1076_1071_1009

[but I can hardly wait when they put this chip density in the 5dsrv2 and 7d3]

Oct 08, 2016 at 05:53 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 80D, do the images actually measure up?

Daniel Smith wrote:

Take a look: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1454422

Oct 08, 2016 at 06:49 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 80D, do the images actually measure up?

Higher ISO is disappointing worse than 7DII, so it's all about the lower ISO's. I could never bring myself to buy one even though it seems a pretty decent camera overall.

Oct 08, 2016 at 07:00 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 80D, do the images actually measure up?

Scott Stoness wrote:
hmmm I don't think it has the most dynamic range of any canon before - it has more dynamic range than any other aps-c camera. But 5dsr is better from iso 400 on by a significant amount. And 80d is only 1/2 stop better at iso 100 than 5dsr. And 1dx2 and 5d4 are significantly better everywherein iso performance.

It is significantly behind everywhere to ff with respect to s/n ratio, color....

And no matter what you do - it will have 1/2 the resolution of the 5dsr (50mpx vs 24mpx and only using 2/3 of the glass [eg dxo records
...Show more

Obviously if the frame can be filled then any EF-S will be lacking in comparison to the 5DsR. The 80D is better overall than any other Canon EF-S, which is not saying a while lot with that AA filter.

EBH

Oct 08, 2016 at 07:09 PM
garyvot
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 80D, do the images actually measure up?

Not really trying to be off topic here, but I am looking forward to seeing what Canon has done with the sensor in the EOS-M5. I have a feeling the performance potential of this 24Mp APS-C package is not fully realized in the 80D yet.

Oct 08, 2016 at 08:00 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 80D, do the images actually measure up?

Daniel Smith wrote:

There's an 80D image thread a few posts down:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1454422

Most of the owners seem pretty happy.

Oct 08, 2016 at 08:21 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 80D, do the images actually measure up?

garyvot wrote:
Not really trying to be off topic here, but I am looking forward to seeing what Canon has done with the sensor in the EOS-M5. I have a feeling the performance potential of this 24Mp APS-C package is not fully realized in the 80D yet.

That's possible, but why would they introduce two different sensors within 6 months if they will both be around for years?

EBH

Oct 08, 2016 at 08:56 PM
garyvot
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 80D, do the images actually measure up?

EB-1 wrote:
That's possible, but why would they introduce two different sensors within 6 months if they will both be around for years?

EBH

I probably wasn't clear: I think it's the same sensor, but it may have a different low pass filter or other hardware tweaks that improve performance. It's also still unclear just what processing improvements Digic 7 brings to the table.

Just being optimistic.

Edited on Oct 08, 2016 at 11:53 PM · View previous versions

Oct 08, 2016 at 09:09 PM
Andrew J
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 80D, do the images actually measure up?

.........................it will have 1/2 the resolution of the 5dsr (50mpx vs 24mpx.....snip

Not to be picky but if you are at 24MP and want to double the resolution you need 96MP. Also, comparing 1.6 crop MP to full frame gets even trickier.

Oct 08, 2016 at 09:16 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 80D, do the images actually measure up?

garyvot wrote:
I wasn't probably clear: I think it's time same sensor, but it may have a different low pass filter or other hardware tweaks that improve performance. It's also still unclear just what processing improvements Digic 7 brings to the table.

Just being optimistic.

Yes, the Digic 7 should be better at something. It's a mystery why they put one in the M5 but the 80D still uses the old Digic 6 and the 5D IV and 1DX II use Digic 6+.

EBH

Oct 08, 2016 at 09:22 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 80D, do the images actually measure up?

EB-1 wrote:
Low ISO images are similar to the other 2016 bodies. It's still rather noisy at high ISO. Mainly it has an AA filter that really should be gone at 24 MP APS-C. What are you using it for?

EBH

+1 @ the AA filter really doesn't need to be there at this pixel density.
+1 it is a low - mid ISO target range, but I do find it better than the 70D was with respect to the noise pattern.

I don't have many frames through mine yet, but I'm thinking hard about having MaxMax remove the AA filter. Then I got to thinking, I wonder ... would Canon be willing to replace it with the filter they use in the 5DsR (i.e. offset / weaker) if I asked them to do so?

I'm still learning the camera, so I'm the "weak link" at the moment ... but, I think it's a keeper for a cropper (with an articulating screen). I'll likely pair it up with a 5D4 or 6D II depending on what the 6D II looks like ... code for I sure hope the 6D II has an articulating screen and the 80D / 5D4 sensor / array approach (but with a weak AA filter).

Oct 08, 2016 at 10:58 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 80D, do the images actually measure up?

I have found no significant reason (allowing for the fact I never shoot video) to upgrade my 70D to an 80D (for vacation stuff mainly)

Oct 09, 2016 at 04:00 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 80D, do the images actually measure up?

Scott Stoness wrote:
...It is significantly behind everywhere to ff with respect to s/n ratio, color....

And no matter what you do - it will have 1/2 the resolution of the 5dsr (50mpx vs 24mpx and only using 2/3 of the glass [eg dxo records about 34 effective mlx on 600v2 /5dsr vs 14 on a 70d cropper)

If you compare a FF body like the 5D3 with a 70D then yes, at pixel and print level the FF body has better dynamic range and SNR than the crop. The 5Dsr is different in that it has a full frame sized sensor with crop sensor pixel density. So averaged=print level it has FF noise and DR but at the pixel level it has crop level noise; i.e. you can crop it to get the resolution of a 70D, but if you do, the noise and DR will be no better than a 70D.

The 80D and 5D4 have improved low iso DR but similar SNR to their predecessors mentioned above. The 5D4 seems to carry its DR improvement to higher ISOs than the 80D which falls back to 70D levels by 400 ISO. This analysis is based on studying the DxO measurements.

Earlier this year I upgraded my 70D to an 80D. IMHO both cameras take excellent images for a crop camera and are a noticeable improvement over the 18 MP Canon bodies like the 7D I once owned. I don't notice a lot of image quality difference between the 70 and 80D - a bit less noise at low ISO and a bit more forgiving in Lightroom. I'll admit though that my FF camera is an old, obsolete, trash for DR 5D3 and I've never seen a real DR deficit in that camera. (I'm sure you can find one if you look hard enough.) The 80D has improved auto exposure and AF and I enjoy having AF with my 100-400 and 1.4x.

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Higher ISO is disappointing worse than 7DII, so it's all about the lower ISO's. I could never bring myself to buy one even though it seems a pretty decent camera overall.

I think "disappointingly worse" is an exaggeration. The 7D2 is measurably better at high ISO and the 80D is measureably better at low ISO. I doubt anyone could actually demonstrate the difference in a photograph. Be that as it may the 7D2 is the better action body and the 80D is the better general purpose/video body and the choice is probably on features rather than IQ differences.

I like my 80D, its smaller and lighter than my 5D3, especially with smaller EF-s lenses and I tend to grab it more often just for convenience sake. I'd still take the 5D3 for more critical photography.

Oct 09, 2016 at 10:43 AM
bootster
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 80D, do the images actually measure up?

The operator is what makes a good photograph. I can make excellent images on my 70D, but I find the 80D to be a bit, if not a lot better, and the comparison between the 80D and the 5d series is a bit over the top. The two bodies are for two different audiences, not to mention the price difference. I don't need to wait for a better sensor, as the one I have now in my camera is plenty adequate for the audience it was intended for at that price point. The 80D is a brisk seller, and it will open up a new audience for hobbyist photographers to get interested in the world of DSLR photography. I will give Canon a very good grade for the 80D's implementation.

This thread HERE shows you all you need to know. It's posted above, but it's a great thread, and shows that an amateur, or professional photographer would be very proud to show those image samples. Great read. Thanks for the thread.

Oct 09, 2016 at 12:27 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 80D, do the images actually measure up?

Jeff Nolten wrote:
I think "disappointingly worse" is an exaggeration. The 7D2 is measurably better at high ISO and the 80D is measureably better at low ISO. I doubt anyone could actually demonstrate the difference in a photograph. Be that as it may the 7D2 is the better action body and the 80D is the better general purpose/video body and the choice is probably on features rather than IQ differences.

I forgot a comma, it' should have read "it's disappointing, worse than 7DII"

It's disappointing because the 7DII is hardly the last word in high ISO and even if in print 80D is no worse, that's still disappointing to me. I have refused to get the 7DII partly for the sensor and since for birding and action I'm often at ISO 1600+, neither camera in general cuts the mustard.

Oct 09, 2016 at 07:15 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 80D, do the images actually measure up?

Pixel Perfect wrote:

I'm often at ISO 1600+, neither camera in general cuts the mustard.

Imo, if you're gonna expect excellence @ 1600+ ... that (ideally) should be "big pixel" territory on FF.

Oct 09, 2016 at 07:20 PM
Tom_W
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 80D, do the images actually measure up?

RustyBug wrote:
Imo, if you're gonna expect excellence @ 1600+ ... that (ideally) should be "big pixel" territory on FF.

I have to agree here. I am of the belief that the 7D2 as well as the 80D is very good up to 1600, but beyond that, it's less than excellent. But still very usable often. I'd rather use a full framer, but in the contest between focal length and ISO, sometimes, focal length is the limiting factor in which case the 7D2 or 80D is the tool of choice. Big lenses cost big bucks.

As for my experience, the 7D2 and 80D, to me, have a very similar noise level at high ISO. Given the very modest pixel density increase on the 80D, I think that's OK. The difference at low ISO is real - If you find the need to pull shadow exposure up for whatever reason, the 80D has an advantage.

I think the difference between the two bodies falls more into the purpose of the camera. The 7D2 has a more flexible AF system, and is built with heavy-duty use in mind. Alternatively, the 80D has a slightly less robust build but has other functions that the 7 doesn't share such as the swivel LCD panel. Form following function.

Oct 09, 2016 at 07:44 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.