New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · ARCA-SWISS Monoball Z1 SP - not working for me

sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · ARCA-SWISS Monoball Z1 SP - not working for me

please don't reference the DPR test. it was so poorly orchestrated it was laughable. in my opinion they should have apologized for that.

as to the RRS clamp and fit it really isn't that new and has been incorporated into all their lever clamps awhile back.

i do have wimberley plates and there is no fit issue on them for me.

Oct 11, 2016 at 07:54 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · ARCA-SWISS Monoball Z1 SP - not working for me

la puffin wrote:
I have a Wimberley P-40 and a RRS foot on my 400/2.8. When I achieved a good fit with one on the QR plate, it was loose enough to slide with the other.

I believe you use a RRS BH-55, so you may not notice this.

"Naturally, RRS suggests using their brand of plates for maximum capability, but they've gone an extra step, just in case. The B2 AS II quick release lever is "self adjusting" to different width plates, through some mechanical combination of the curvature of the lever's fulcrum and the spring and pushrod beneath it. This is
...Show more

Overall RRS has the most comprehensive A-S system, but with some quirky, sometimes overdone designs.
Precisely aiming a long tele is not the forte of the BH-55. It's not exactly the smoothest 2 lb. head around. :lol: If you are mainly right handed, the main knob is on the left side and takes some getting used to or you can use it backward with some limitation in the utility of the oddball notches. I've had a BH-55 for about 9 years but use it for shorter lenses or a large lens (e.g., 500/4) with a Sidekick for precise and easy aiming.

I've had one failure each with the old lever lock clamp and the panning clamp, but they have supposedly been improved. I still strongly suggest the regular screw A-S clamps as the whole issue of dimensional compatibility is then moot. You shouldn't be limited by one manufacturer of useful A-S compatible products, especially with the variety of camera brackets, lens replacement feet, etc. I have some products from Wimberley, RRS, Markins, 4th Generation, and a large number from Kirk.

EBH

Oct 11, 2016 at 11:50 PM
la puffin
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · ARCA-SWISS Monoball Z1 SP - not working for me

EB-1 wrote:
I've had one failure each with the old lever lock clamp and the panning clamp, but they have supposedly been improved. I still strongly suggest the regular screw A-S clamps as the whole issue of dimensional compatibility is then moot. You shouldn't be limited by one manufacturer of useful A-S compatible products, especially with the variety of camera brackets, lens replacement feet, etc. I have some products from Wimberley, RRS, Markins, 4th Generation, and a large number from Kirk.
EBH

I agree with you, I don't want to be limited. My Manfrotto had a lever lock calm and I dislike it, but thought I'd give it a try based on some of the input I've relied on FM. My Kirk monopod head has a screw plate and it's been fine.

I went with an Arcatech GP. I spoke to them for a long time yesterday and they were reassuring that it would be strong enough for the 400. I also PM'd another member who was using one with the same 400/2.8G and feel good about it. They also make a long lens head that I'll pick up specifically for the 400 after I upgrade my tripod.

I'll be happy when this is wrapped up

Oct 12, 2016 at 02:17 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · ARCA-SWISS Monoball Z1 SP - not working for me

Oh, you know that photography equipment never ends.

EBH

Oct 12, 2016 at 02:30 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · ARCA-SWISS Monoball Z1 SP - not working for me

the reason for the knob being on the left is simple, camera bodies all tend to be right hand centric devices. this generally leaves the left hand doing other duty.

back awhile when I purchased my Markins M10 it was available with either a R or L knob option. got it with the R option. not a real comfortable choice in the long run. so in the long run for me the L side works best as the camera grip and such is R. yes the BH55 does require a bit of break in but has, for me outperformed the others I have used. perception is an individual attribute.

Oct 12, 2016 at 03:30 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · ARCA-SWISS Monoball Z1 SP - not working for me

I do think the Markins wins the smoothness award.

Oct 12, 2016 at 06:46 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · ARCA-SWISS Monoball Z1 SP - not working for me

yes it does. it also requires more effort to lock.

i have both and i already chose to stay with rhe BH family its a perception thing

Oct 12, 2016 at 07:47 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · ARCA-SWISS Monoball Z1 SP - not working for me

speaking of perception: The silver contrasting knobs on the RRS heads are helpful in low light, esp. when gloves need to be worn and inhibit feel.

I don't think there is a perfect ball head, tho RRS and Markins are the ones to look at or try out - with maybe Acratech for sand/dirt, and the P0 for some...

Likewise with tripods, RRS or Gitzo.

Oct 12, 2016 at 09:48 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · ARCA-SWISS Monoball Z1 SP - not working for me

why do people think that the Acratech heads are really better then others in some environs? i used mine in the middle east back in 2003 and the that red sand there has the consistency of talc. wiped out more laptops by clogging them up. the BH55 just worked. the acratechs don't have the capacity to match in the long run. i had the "ultimate" and really it was far from its given name from my perceptions. total ownership time was 3 months.

Oct 12, 2016 at 10:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · ARCA-SWISS Monoball Z1 SP - not working for me

For starters, the Acratech weighs half as much. I suspect most users don't realize that easy to clean also means easy to dirty. Perhaps the Acratech BH are not as popular lately with all the mid and lower weight alternatives.

EBH

Oct 13, 2016 at 12:08 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · ARCA-SWISS Monoball Z1 SP - not working for me

been there done that. some things just aren't worth it overall.

Oct 13, 2016 at 01:07 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · ARCA-SWISS Monoball Z1 SP - not working for me

tired of accumulating stuff that falls short in reality with so much in promise.

Oct 15, 2016 at 04:34 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · ARCA-SWISS Monoball Z1 SP - not working for me

no disagreement with either of you - I just listed Acratech to be complete - note that I also listed the P0 for aficionados of those...

She has to make her own decision -- and does live near the sea

I have an AcraTech on a beater tripod and it is well worth the $150 I spent for high grit areas (no experience with the fine talc in the M.E.) - tho I would only buy the small Markins for wt. savings, and the RRS for everything else

Oct 15, 2016 at 08:25 PM
la puffin
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · ARCA-SWISS Monoball Z1 SP - not working for me

rw11 wrote:
no disagreement with either of you - I just listed Acratech to be complete - note that I also listed the P0 for aficionados of those...

She has to make her own decision -- and does live near the sea

Thank you for saying that. I learned a lot and made a decision based on what I learned here and elsewhere. I really do appreciate the input and also like learning the "why". People's opinions can also be very subjective and unique to their usage and habits. For example, I'll never buy another lever type QR plate because of the pinched fingers and broken nails I've had from my Manfrotto. A lot of people like that style of plate and my reasoning probably doesn't carry a lot of weight... I'm guessing In the other hand (no pun) and different analogy, people shake their heads at me for carrying a 64 wedge (a rare Miura K-Grind for the golfers) in my golf bag. "I just open up my 56", but when I can easily flop a shot over a bunker to a tight pin, it makes it case pretty nicely.

I am just a short par 4 from the water and in a particularly foggy part of the bay, but keep my gear well protected when not in use.

Oct 15, 2016 at 10:14 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · ARCA-SWISS Monoball Z1 SP - not working for me

If you feel that I am "attacking" your reasoning I am not really. if so i apologize. i will stand by my statement on the DPR tests on ball heads as a poorly produced piece of work. my only real comment is that a don't feel you are taking advantage of you situation. myself, i prefer to have whatever i can get a hold of to try out before signing on the bottom line.

Oct 15, 2016 at 10:48 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · ARCA-SWISS Monoball Z1 SP - not working for me

Let us (and others, assuming anyone ever does a search...) know how you like it.

I do see an RRS in your future someday...

Oct 15, 2016 at 10:49 PM
la puffin
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · ARCA-SWISS Monoball Z1 SP - not working for me

sjms wrote:
If you feel that I am "attacking" your reasoning I am not really. if so i apologize.

No, I don't feel that way at all.

---------------------------------------------

rw11 wrote:
Let us (and others, assuming anyone ever does a search...) know how you like it.

I do see an RRS in your future someday...

Will do, it's been god so far. The adjustable tension works really well and seems solid. I'd be out shooting today if we weren't having our first rain since the Spring. My next post will be about rain covers

You may be right, as I bought another lens that come with a RRS plate.

Oct 15, 2016 at 10:56 PM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password