New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · In Need Of A Compact Camera

martines34
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · In Need Of A Compact Camera

Avoid the Nikon Coolpix. It is nowhere near as good as the Canon S120 series.

I own both.

Oct 10, 2016 at 09:03 PM
la puffin
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · In Need Of A Compact Camera

nick53097 wrote:
The least expansive option (but still very decent pictures) -Nikon Coolpix A
Much better pictures (but much more $$) is Sony RX1R
I tried Sony RX100 ( first 2 versions) and wasn't happy with final results (but that's just me, so many people are very happy with RX100)

The RX100 MIII is my purse camera. It's decent for what it is. At 3200 it's ~~. I'd put the MV on the list to look at, but wouldn't recommend buying without trying it. This was at 2500.

DSC-RX100M3    9mm    f/2.0    1/30s    2500 ISO    0.0 EV  

Oct 10, 2016 at 11:34 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · In Need Of A Compact Camera

Nikon DL's should be out soon, so that will complicate the decision.

The RX100's with the 24-70 Zeiss zoom are much better than the earlier ones. I'd say the RX100m3,4,5 are the very best in IQ for that size.

not sure if the m2 had that lens - if not, it would explain the unhappiness above

BUT.. I suggest the OP look hard at m43 - esp. the Panasonic/Leica combos if he wants the utmost in VR.

Oct 11, 2016 at 12:10 AM
CanadaMark
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · In Need Of A Compact Camera

martines34 wrote:
Avoid the Nikon Coolpix. It is nowhere near as good as the Canon S120 series.

I own both.

You're not comparing a canon S120 to a Coolpix A, right? They are incredibly different cameras. I had a Canon S110 and it was a pretty terrible P&S by today's standards.

Oct 11, 2016 at 04:31 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

nick53097
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · In Need Of A Compact Camera

Nikon Coolpix is great (super small and light with D7000 sensor and no AA filter). Crazy sharp 28mm lens is a bonus

COOLPIX A    19mm    f/8.0    4s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

COOLPIX A    19mm    f/2.8    1/40s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

COOLPIX A    19mm    f/5.0    1/250s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Oct 11, 2016 at 01:02 PM
ocir
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · In Need Of A Compact Camera

Coolpix A seems impressive for its price but I notice the release date was 3 years ago. Is the a newer model?

Oct 12, 2016 at 11:20 PM
RexGig0
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · In Need Of A Compact Camera

ocir wrote:
Coolpix A seems impressive for its price but I notice the release date was 3 years ago. Is the a newer model?

No, there is not a newer model. The Nikon A, seriously mis-labeled and mis-marketed as a Coolpix, will probably not have a successor, as so few wanted to buy them, until they were discontinued.

The A has the 16MP DX sensor of the D7000, which remains a quite good sensor. The quite good 18.5mm lens provides a 28mm-equivalent angle-of-view. There is no anti-aliasing filter between the lens and sensor. The flash shoe plays well with the range of normal Speedlights, though the A cannot act as an I-TTL Commander, with either its small pop-up flash, or a Speedlight mounted in the flash shoe. Made in Japan, with a very nicely-done metal body, I love handling the A.

AF is decent. The Nikon A will not be a desirable sports/action camera, but that is why Nikon makes the D4/D5. Zone focusing, with the distance scale visible on the LCD, works well. See Ray Sachs' street images, shot from waist level, in the thread topic dedicated to the Nikon A, in this forum.

I bought a new black Nikon A at the full M.A.P. price; yes, a bit too expensive, but I loved the camera. My wife claimed it for herself, and so I later acquired another black A, still sealed in a factory box, but at a liquidation price, after a Midwest camera store closed. I then bought a third A, in the silvery-color, which was either pre-owned, or open-box-new, when the prices dropped significantly.

One reason the Nikon A did not do well, on the market, at its original price, was that the Ricoh GR, a similar camera, was priced significantly lower. I reckoned that the familiar Nikon menu, compatibility with Nikon Speedlights, and build quality, were sufficient reasons to pay more for our first A. I finally handled a Ricoh GR, later, and was not impressed.

Oct 13, 2016 at 01:53 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password