New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · In Need Of A Compact Camera

ocir
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · In Need Of A Compact Camera

Tired of lugging my D800 on vacation and hiking. Any thoughts on the Fuji X100T or are there better and inexpensive alternatives? If so, which one and why?

Oct 08, 2016 at 05:48 PM
snapsy
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · In Need Of A Compact Camera

Nikon Coolpix A. You can normally find a used copy for $250 - $300 on B&S. Horrendous AF but great IQ.

Oct 08, 2016 at 05:52 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · In Need Of A Compact Camera

HOW horrendous?

Oct 08, 2016 at 06:54 PM
Donzo98
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · In Need Of A Compact Camera

Canon G7XII... I almost sold it a few days ago... and then I looked at my images from it.

I use it for the exact same situation you describe...

I take it everywhere... even on the Jet Ski. TINY!!

Oct 08, 2016 at 07:46 PM
story_teller
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · In Need Of A Compact Camera

If you don't mind a crop sensor and mirrorless, look at a used Sony A6000 with a 16-50mm kit lens. Very fast AF and I've gotten some nice results.

Oct 08, 2016 at 07:49 PM
in2house

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · In Need Of A Compact Camera

I'd be interested in knowing as well. Been considering a Coolpix A because of the sensor but the Sony RX100 offers perhaps more versatility (at the cost of having a 1" sensor - which is debatable when considering the lens). With the numerous variations available, you can one of those rather cheaply.

On side (but related) note, is the Nikon DL out yet? I was hoping Nikon would revisit the "Coolpix A" concept with the DL but would have preferred they kept the DX sensor.

Oct 08, 2016 at 07:54 PM
ocir
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · In Need Of A Compact Camera

I have considered the Coolpix A but I wonder how bad is the AF that Snapsy mentioned. Does it hunt in lowlight? Is it slow in moving objects?

Oct 08, 2016 at 08:12 PM
ariot
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · In Need Of A Compact Camera

ocir wrote:
Tired of lugging my D800 on vacation and hiking. Any thoughts on the Fuji X100T or are there better and inexpensive alternatives? If so, which one and why?

I had three Fuji Bodies, 9 lenses, and the X100s. I kept the X100s. It's good, but it isn't technically "pocketable" except for a day when you need a jacket.

For pocketable, most suggest the RX100 MK3, 4 or new 5. Or a good phone

In the ICE smaller sensor market, there are many to pick from and they are all pretty great.

Pocket or not is the question here, I think.

Oct 08, 2016 at 08:42 PM
nick53097
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · In Need Of A Compact Camera

The least expansive option (but still very decent pictures) -Nikon Coolpix A
Much better pictures (but much more $$) is Sony RX1R
I tried Sony RX100 ( first 2 versions) and wasn't happy with final results (but that's just me, so many people are very happy with RX100)

Oct 08, 2016 at 09:42 PM
vigna
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · In Need Of A Compact Camera

Panasonic Lumix TZ110 with 25-250mm Leica zoom, 4K video, 1" sensor and pocketable, also 2016 best travel compact camera
https://youtu.be/XFbYAATh_Qc

Oct 08, 2016 at 09:46 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

snapsy
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · In Need Of A Compact Camera

runamuck wrote:
HOW horrendous?

Under high lighting it's slow but usable. Under anywhere approaching medium to low light the camera will fail to acquire a lock depending on the contrast of the subject.

Oct 08, 2016 at 11:00 PM
CanadaMark
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · In Need Of A Compact Camera

runamuck wrote:
HOW horrendous?

It's not nearly as bad as some people make it out to be. Is it useful for action? Absolutely not, but it will focus in surprisingly low light, for example I have no trouble focusing on scenes that require ISO 6400, F2.8, and a 1/30 shutter speed. The size, lens, build quality, and sensor are what make it a winner, especially for the ridiculously low prices they are at now. It is my go-to vacation and hiking camera and it hasn't let me down once in any respect. The image quality is still impressive in 2016.

I've used it a lot for food pictures in extremely dimly lit restaurants, no problem. Most recently I took pictures of fire spinners (wearing all black, at night) in Mexico with no issues. Daylight focusing speed is totally fine as well. Useless for action just like any camera with CDAF-only AF but for any static subject it works well.

Don't worry about it. Just don't accidentally leave the AF switch on Macro and you'll be fine

Oct 08, 2016 at 11:19 PM
daniel4

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · In Need Of A Compact Camera

Before giving up the DSLR, why not try small steps for weight reduction:
- Smaller lens: The 50mm/1.8G without hood or the 50mm/1.8D are very small and light
- Smaller body: D750 instead of D800 is slightly smaller and lighter
- DX: The D500 + 35mm/1.8G DX is a light combination

Oct 09, 2016 at 05:35 AM
Dj R
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · In Need Of A Compact Camera

fuji x100T
there are a few in the b/s forum!

Oct 09, 2016 at 12:24 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · In Need Of A Compact Camera

I have the Fuji X100s. Nerver ever use it. The fixed lens is too limiting-for me and it's too big. Just about to trade in my, always with me, Sony RX100 MKIII for a MKV. Also, for a real bridge camera, the RX10 MKIII with a 24-600mm F2.4 to F4.0 lens.

Oct 09, 2016 at 12:31 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · In Need Of A Compact Camera

I gave digital P&S a fair chance, and came to loathe the entire category. Suggest you pair a tiny lens to the D800, or downgrade to the D3xxx series. Then you get real-camera handling, APS-C or better IQ, and AF that doesn't suck. The RX100 family is closest to P&S compactness, and the 3x zoom is ideal, but the interface will make you barf—I speak as the owner of an A7ii. Sony has a long, long way to go before they make a camera that doesn't feels like a computer.

Oct 09, 2016 at 01:58 PM
CanadaMark
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · In Need Of A Compact Camera

Haha I was just looking at this thread, and the first poster is ocir and the last poster was rico

Oct 09, 2016 at 07:05 PM
chuhsi1
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · In Need Of A Compact Camera

I bought my wife an rx100. Awesome.

Oct 09, 2016 at 09:46 PM
ocir
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · In Need Of A Compact Camera

Truly appreciate the suggestions and feedbacks. I considered about getting a smaller DSLR but even the smallest lens size would still be a bit cumbersome for travel or hiking to me. I will definitely look at the RX100, TZ110 and the 100S or T.

Oct 10, 2016 at 12:05 PM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · In Need Of A Compact Camera

I have been very impressed with the Olympus Pen cameras for both stills and video. With 16MP MFT sensor you can shoot as high as ISO 1600 and get pictures that are usable.

Oct 10, 2016 at 08:38 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password