Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Middle Range Flash Triggers?

Mike Letour
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Middle Range Flash Triggers?

Okay, I am an occasional user of wireless flash triggers. I use them with a pair of 285s, and sometimes throw a third flash in. A while back, I bought some Poverty Wizards (I think it was Cactus brand), and I thought they would be okay, but they weren't. Why?
1. They didn't fire about one out of every ten times
2. There was one that would set off one of my 285s at random, but it was okay on the other 285.
3. They required stupid little specialty batteries.

I am not ready to buy Pocket Wizards, but I want something better than the cheapies I had, maybe $75-$100 with a transmitter and three receivers. What is the best option at this price range?

Edited on Oct 08, 2016 at 07:58 PM · View previous versions

Oct 08, 2016 at 04:58 PM
Jay Ford

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Middle Range Flash Triggers?

Of the basic triggers I've tried, the only ones that came close to the reliability of the expensive PW+ is the Paul C Buff system. But while they are less expensive than the PW+, they will still set you back $60 for the transmitter (and it uses a watch battery) and $70 each for the receivers.

I never tried them, but Strobist seems to like the wallet-easy Phottix Ares system:

https://strobist.blogspot.com/2014/09/choosing-triggers.html

Oct 08, 2016 at 06:52 PM
Mike Letour
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Middle Range Flash Triggers?

Thanks,
I checked out the Ares and I may give them a try.

Oct 09, 2016 at 03:19 AM
KiboOst
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Middle Range Flash Triggers?

If you want basic triggers I never had a Miss fire or any other problem with phottix strato. I now use Godoy system for wireless power control but still use the strato with my sekonic.

Oct 09, 2016 at 08:35 AM
dugaut
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Middle Range Flash Triggers?

I've used PW (flex and earlier versions). I now use Cactus v6; you can mix different brands of flashes.

They have profiles for many different brands built in; I just use them in manual.

The other day I was shooting a Paul Buff Einstein 640, an Adorama brand strobe, a canon 580ex, and a nikon s910 with my Canon 1dXII. All speedlites/strobes away from the camera with one of the Cactus on the camera.

Oct 09, 2016 at 09:54 AM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Middle Range Flash Triggers?

If you're looking for basic triggers and receivers, the Paul Buff CST and CSRB units are hard to beat. Used them for years with zero issues. The CST uses a CR2032 (flat) battery, but they're easy to find and last a VERY long time.

Oct 09, 2016 at 12:06 PM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Middle Range Flash Triggers?

I am a fan of the Yongnuo 602s for several years now. Dedicated transmitters and receivers, very good signal transmission, very inexpensive, and I have yet to kill off a transmitter battery after 4 years of occasional use! AAA for the receivers. They work great for speed lights or studio strobes, with a good threaded (proprietary) connection to the receiver. Not a TTL unit though.

I have started working with a set of the 605s which are much more fancy, but still not TTL. They can emulate the 602 or the 603 and are transceivers. They also allow on/off control of 6 groups from the transmitter on your camera. AAAs for these units as well, but really designed for speed lights only. I guess you could also adapt for studio with a PC to whatever cable, but they did not come with that, whereas the 602s came with the receiver to 1/8 plug cable.

I have worked some with the Paul Buff units as well, but was annoyed by the coin battery. Other than that they seemed to be solid.

Paul

Oct 11, 2016 at 12:10 AM
GeoLaing
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Middle Range Flash Triggers?

I'm in the process of moving to the Yongnuo 622 system. There are transceivers and transmitters. In roughly three months of usage they have proven more reliable and less troublesome than my PW TT1/TT5/AC3 setup.
What I occasionally miss from the PW system is being able to remotely adjust the power of my Einstein. What the Yongnou's do far better than PW is trigger when shooting low to the ground.
A pair of transceivers is about $75. Full manual, TTL, multiple channels and groups. Bonus- they run on AA's, no more button batteries for the TT1...

Oct 20, 2016 at 06:45 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Chris Court
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Middle Range Flash Triggers?

Another strong vote for the Yongnuo 622s. Rock solid triggers with great features (TTL, HSS, groups, channels, relaying etc etc etc) at a budget price, and running on AAs is an added bonus. I have 7 tranceivers and 2 transmitters, and use them with speedlights and strobes.

As a basis for comparison I've gone through ebay poverty wizards (very cheap and somewhat reliable, but flimsy and with very limited range and zero features aside from simple triggering), Cactus v4s (I liked these, but made the mistake of selling them when I "upgraded" to the v6s), Cactus v6s (interesting feature set but ultimately the lack of HSS/TTL capability outweighed their ability to remotely control the power of flash units from multiple manufacturers. I found the controls fiddly and unintuitive, too), and I've used a friend's TT1/TT5s (expensive. And while they seemed to work well in my brief usage, they have a reputation for being somewhat "temperamental.")

C

Oct 20, 2016 at 11:53 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Middle Range Flash Triggers?

I'll throw in another vote against the Cactus stuff. They look good on paper, but their build quality and long term reliability is just not there. I like the interface and when it works, it is good.

FWIW, I'm using the V6 transceivers to trigger the Cactus RF60 wireless speedlights, along with some LP160s with V6s set as receivers. For whatever reason, they are more reliable when sending signals between V6s for manual flash only than they are with the RF60 flashes. :?

I haven't found a better system yet for the way I work. The Odin II looks like a good interface, though I wish they had a cheap way to trigger manual flashes as well.

Oct 21, 2016 at 03:52 AM
pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Middle Range Flash Triggers?

Can't beat the Yongnuo's. Rock solid, totally reliable

Oct 21, 2016 at 12:45 PM
JThomas
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Middle Range Flash Triggers?

Another thumbs up for Phottix..
I have three sets= two Strato and a higher model, the Odin, for remote control.
Intuitive to use and never have failed. .

Nov 25, 2016 at 08:42 PM
pixlepeeper
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Middle Range Flash Triggers?

Can Odin be used to control the power on anything other than Canon, Nikon and Lumopro speedlights? Or maybe I'm expecting too much from it.

Nov 26, 2016 at 11:16 PM
tdlavigne
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Middle Range Flash Triggers?

A bit late to the party but oddly enough I've had great luck with some $20 Neewer triggers I got from ebay. Originally got them as something cheap/disposable to use with a speedlight but 2 years later they're still alive and kicking with my Speedotrons and Elinchrom setup. I've had better luck with these than PW's so far. The Cybersyncs are nice too, but I've had one transmitter fail on me before so there's that...

Nov 29, 2016 at 02:55 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Middle Range Flash Triggers?

I've been using the Paul Buff Cybersyncs for about six years now, always outdoors, often in below zero (F) cold. They always work. The one reason I've stayed with them is they have very reliable range out to a bit over 150 yards, and I can set one up in relay mode and get another 100 yards (250 yards total) when needed. I do need that kind of range for some of my shots. Anyway, the Cybersyncs are both rugged and reliable.

Kent in SD

Struble, Iowa

Dec 01, 2016 at 11:41 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password