New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Rokinon 14mm 2.8 vs Batis 18mm 2.8

chiron
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Rokinon 14mm 2.8 vs Batis 18mm 2.8

I am planning to be in Iceland next year, and I hope to have the opportunity to photograph the northern lights.

My question is this: Apart from the MAJOR difference in price, what are the photographic differences between the 14mm Rokinon and the 18mm Batis in use and in results-- especially but not exclusively with reference to shooting the sky?

The Batis 18 is on my list to eventually acquire, but I am wondering how the $300 Rokinon 14 would do at the task.

Thanks.

Oct 08, 2016 at 09:08 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Rokinon 14mm 2.8 vs Batis 18mm 2.8

That 4 mm may not sound like much but when your dealing with super wides it's a much bigger angle of view and lens perspective difference than you think. Now I'm not sure of which one has better coma for Astro work. Also the 14mm has much more severe distortion but that may not matter with Astro work.

Oct 08, 2016 at 09:13 AM
xpfloyd
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Rokinon 14mm 2.8 vs Batis 18mm 2.8

I have both lenses. The rok 14 is amazing bang for the buck. It's not as sharp wide open as the batIs and has distortion but it's 1/6 of the price. The Batis 18 has low coma like the rok. If you are purchasing solely for this trip go for the rok. If it's for the long term go for the Batis if price isn't the issue as it's an amazing landscape lens in addition to being good at Astro. You wouldn't be disappointed with the rok though and it's also good stopped down. Keep in mind it doesn't take filters easily though unlike the Batis.

A7RII & Batis 18 Wide Open

Milkyway by xpfloyd, on Flickr

Oct 08, 2016 at 09:25 AM
chiron
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Rokinon 14mm 2.8 vs Batis 18mm 2.8

Beautiful photograph, just glorious! What a universe!

What planet did you take it from?

Oct 08, 2016 at 12:00 PM
WestTexas Sky
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Rokinon 14mm 2.8 vs Batis 18mm 2.8

I cannot speak to the Basis 18 but I do have the Loxia 21mm as well as the Samyang 14mm. I think xpfloyd has good advice. For just the night sky I think wider is better. But overall the Batis is a better, but costly option.

Another way to think about it you could get the Samyang 14mm and 24/1.4 for half the cost of the Batis. That is an amazing night cmbo.

Oct 08, 2016 at 01:32 PM
xpfloyd
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Rokinon 14mm 2.8 vs Batis 18mm 2.8

Yep the Samyang 24 is awesome. I actually use that more for Astro (even though I have the Batis 25). I haven't got round to trying the Batis 25 for Astro yet.

Hope you don't mind me posting photos in your thread but here's a couple of examples of the Samyang 24.

A7RII & Samyang 24.
Callanish Stones, Isle of Lewis, Scotland

Callanish Stones - Isle Of Lewis by xpfloyd, on Flickr

Callanish Stones - Isle Of Lewis by xpfloyd, on Flickr

Oct 08, 2016 at 01:52 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Rokinon 14mm 2.8 vs Batis 18mm 2.8

If the Rokinon is well centered you'll love it. If not, it's a hassle to keep playing the lottery.

Oct 08, 2016 at 05:57 PM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Rokinon 14mm 2.8 vs Batis 18mm 2.8

Go by focal lengths first-- 14 and 18 are world's apart.

There might be more hassle getting a great copy of the Rok, but if you prefer 14mm, 18mm is no substitute. Keep in mind Samyang also has the FE 14mm f/2.8 coming out that should be a bit better optically, and have lower distortion (not much of an issue for astro)-- but I haven't read anything about coma (obviously a prime consideration).

Where the Batis really shines is in its dual-purpose functionality: It excels at astro (tack sharp at f/2.8, exceedingly good coma control), but it's also a world class UWA AF prime for documentary type work. Very fast, accurate AF, punchy colors and contrast, sharpness all the way into the corners, light (but a bit fat).

Oct 09, 2016 at 04:07 AM
WestTexas Sky
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Rokinon 14mm 2.8 vs Batis 18mm 2.8

The one area I don't like the Samyang 14 is if you do seascapes. The mustache distortion is really hard to get the sea to look flat, I.e. level. Other than that I think it is an amazing lens.

BTW you do know it is sold u der several names such as Rokinon, Bower, Samyang, etc. All the same. Buy the cheapest. I got one on sale for $259!

Oct 09, 2016 at 08:38 AM
chiron
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Rokinon 14mm 2.8 vs Batis 18mm 2.8

justruss wrote:
Go by focal lengths first-- 14 and 18 are world's apart.

There might be more hassle getting a great copy of the Rok, but if you prefer 14mm, 18mm is no substitute. Keep in mind Samyang also has the FE 14mm f/2.8 coming out that should be a bit better optically, and have lower distortion (not much of an issue for astro)-- but I haven't read anything about coma (obviously a prime consideration).

Where the Batis really shines is in its dual-purpose functionality: It excels at astro (tack sharp at f/2.8, exceedingly good coma control), but it's also a world
...Show more

Thanks, this is helpful. I certainly would get broader use from the Batis. And it will be interesting to see what the new FE Rokinon will be like, though I think its price moves up to the$750 range? I have some time before Iceland, though I need to learn some astrophotography fist, with the lens in hand.

I have the Baits 85 and 25. Even though they are fat and on the 85 the lens shade creates the appearance of a large lens, their lightness and perhaps their fatness, which keeps the mass of the lens closer to the body than with an elongated lens, makes them both handle extremely well and naturally on the a6300, which is the Sony camera I am using for now. (Boy, was that ever a run-on sentence. I kept having another thought!)

Oct 09, 2016 at 10:33 AM
chiron
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Rokinon 14mm 2.8 vs Batis 18mm 2.8

WestTexas Sky wrote:
The one area I don't like the Samyang 14 is if you do seascapes. The mustache distortion is really hard to get the sea to look flat, I.e. level. Other than that I think it is an amazing lens.

BTW you do know it is sold u der several names such as Rokinon, Bower, Samyang, etc. All the same. Buy the cheapest. I got one on sale for $259!

Thank you! Both points are very useful to know.

Oct 09, 2016 at 10:34 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.