Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Costs and ease of getting elements realigned...

arbitrage
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Costs and ease of getting elements realigned...

My 16-35 f/4 IS dropped about 1.5 feet onto the hotel room floor. No obvious damage and IS works fine still and no sounds coming from the lens. However, after shooting a day of landscapes and temples with it in Korea I compared images from after the drop to before the drop and noticed an obvious blurring on the right edge of all the post-drop images. Actually left edge looks sharper than before the drop. I assume some elements are a little out of whack from the drop.

Does anyone have experience sending a lens to Canon for re-alignment? Just wondering if it is a simple thing for them to fix and average costs involved. I'm a Canadian CPS member so I think I get a bit of a discount or flat rate for easy repairs. In the past I've only had major IS repairs done that cost me dearly the $500CDN range.

Thanks for any help before I return to Canada and call CPS.

Here is one example that I think shows it well enough...

Canon EOS 5DS R    EF16-35mm f/4L IS USM lens    35mm    f/8.0    1/320s    320 ISO    0.0 EV  

Right edge

Canon EOS 5DS R    EF16-35mm f/4L IS USM lens    35mm    f/8.0    1/320s    320 ISO    0.0 EV  

Left edge

Oct 08, 2016 at 07:16 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Costs and ease of getting elements realigned...

I did the same with my 70-200mm f/2.8 non-is a few years ago. It got a new front glass with mount, and with Norwegian prices on parts and labour it cost 40% the price of a new lens to fix

Oct 08, 2016 at 07:32 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Costs and ease of getting elements realigned...

I suggest that, when you do contact CPS (which I would do pronto), you don't mention that it was dropped, just that it seems to be out of alignment. In a related matter, I note that the CPS Canada fixed-rate for lens repairs doesn't include impact damage and water damage. Just sayin.

I had my 35/1.4L repaired at the fixed rate, when its barrel developed a list to port. It was probably caused by a bag-drop or a bag-slam (not wrestling moves), but nobody asked and nobody cared. OTOH, I sent in a brand new 1.4x III that I said was dropped, and the estimated repair cost exceeded the value of a new one; fixed-rate repair did not apply.

Oct 08, 2016 at 10:25 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Costs and ease of getting elements realigned...

Thanks guys.

Jim, I hear you loud and clear!! I tried to get away with the same thing with my 100-400II but the entire IS/AF needed repair and CPS said they knew it was impact and they were right. We shall see what they say this time but I won't give them any clues

Oct 08, 2016 at 01:03 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Costs and ease of getting elements realigned...

arbitrage wrote:
Jim, I hear you loud and clear!! I tried to get away with the same thing with my 100-400II but the entire IS/AF needed repair and CPS said they knew it was impact and they were right. We shall see what they say this time but I won't give them any clues

I didn't even bother to try denying that this one was impact damage.

jcolwell 2016

Oct 08, 2016 at 01:30 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Costs and ease of getting elements realigned...

Dr. Geoff Butterfingers, may I suggest that you stop dropping lenses?

Oct 08, 2016 at 01:41 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Costs and ease of getting elements realigned...

I'm blaming this one on Sonja although I didn't leave the lens in the best place so I can't put all the blame on her

mitesh wrote:
Dr. Geoff Butterfingers, may I suggest that you stop dropping lenses?

Oct 08, 2016 at 09:02 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Costs and ease of getting elements realigned...

I dropped my 24-70mm f/2.8 II up in Canada a few years ago.
Noticed the left side was quite blurry, at times. Upon inspection, the barrel was visibly splitting open, sideways!
They replaced the barrel, issued a new s/n, calibrated it, and continues to works great.
Cost with CPS was very very good compared to buying used.

David

Oct 08, 2016 at 10:38 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Costs and ease of getting elements realigned...

Just explain what happened and send it in with the samples. You want it fixed properly.

EBH

Oct 08, 2016 at 11:36 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Costs and ease of getting elements realigned...

Canon will want to replaced any damaged internal parts. It might just be alignment, but I'd expect some broken parts internally.

The only way to tell is to have someone take a good look at the internals.

Oct 10, 2016 at 03:04 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Kathy White
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Costs and ease of getting elements realigned...

My 70 200 hit my wood floor. There was some external damage and it wouldn't focus at all. The cost was 400.00 US. This was about 2 years ago. Considering the damage I didn't think the cost was too bad. But, it took 3 trips to CPS to get it back to normal. The first time it came back with the barrel on backwards. On the second trip it came back still not focusing correctly, on the 3rd return it was back to it's original performance. But this entire ordeal took about 3 weeks. It laid on a supervisors desk with it's barrel on backwards for a week while they tried to figure out how such a thing happened. I had to tell them that at that point I didn't care how it happened, just fix it.

Good luck, I hope the repair goes well.

Oct 10, 2016 at 03:52 AM
dhachey
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Costs and ease of getting elements realigned...

Ah, the infamous "impact damage". Had that happen to my old 35L during shipping to a buyer. Cost of repair was modest in my case, thanks to Platinum CPS.

scalesusa wrote:
Canon will want to replaced any damaged internal parts. It might just be alignment, but I'd expect some broken parts internally.

The only way to tell is to have someone take a good look at the internals.

Oct 10, 2016 at 09:41 AM
anchorout
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Costs and ease of getting elements realigned...

Amazing, which facility was this Kathy?

Kathy White wrote:
My 70 200 hit my wood floor. There was some external damage and it wouldn't focus at all. The cost was 400.00 US. This was about 2 years ago. Considering the damage I didn't think the cost was too bad. But, it took 3 trips to CPS to get it back to normal. The first time it came back with the barrel on backwards. On the second trip it came back still not focusing correctly, on the 3rd return it was back to it's original performance. But this entire ordeal took about 3 weeks. It laid on a supervisors
...Show more

Oct 10, 2016 at 11:05 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Costs and ease of getting elements realigned...

Kathy White wrote:
... The first time it came back with the barrel on backwards.

Awesome.

Oct 10, 2016 at 01:46 PM
Kathy White
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Costs and ease of getting elements realigned...

anchorout wrote:
Amazing, which facility was this Kathy?

Virginia. Most of the time they have been excellent but ive had a couple
Of episodes over the years.

Oct 10, 2016 at 01:47 PM
dhachey
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Costs and ease of getting elements realigned...

Bizarre. I've had nothing but good service from them. How do you even reverse a lens barrel? The parts won't fit together properly.

Kathy White wrote:
Virginia. Most of the time they have been excellent but ive had a couple
Of episodes over the years.

Oct 10, 2016 at 03:42 PM
gjbpro1

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Costs and ease of getting elements realigned...

jcolwell wrote:
Awesome.

Must have been a technician who came from Nikon. Nikon lenses focus and zoom backwards too.😉

Oct 10, 2016 at 05:07 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Costs and ease of getting elements realigned...

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm now back home so will get it sent in to CPS tomorrow. They can determine if it is impact damage themselves....I love this lens so worth the repair even if it does come to $400-500CDN although I hope it will be 200-300....

Will update with results as I get them.

Oct 10, 2016 at 05:18 PM
Brea
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Costs and ease of getting elements realigned...

Very hard to say from those pictures, did you try a picture of a brick wall at like 35mm close? Itll be more obvious and clear that way; and I had a 24mm 1.4 version 1 out of warranty where the elements went wack; super obvious blur and lens couldnt focus. Took $400 ish to fix it at LOCAL repair place since Canon doesnt warranty it anymore so should be about that amount

Oct 11, 2016 at 02:20 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password