Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · Workshops (Infomercials?)

ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Workshops (Infomercials?)

I totally agree with Steve. It seems too many "workshops" anymore are simply opportunistic photographers who are looking for an all expense paid trip to Patagonia, Iceland, or Utah. Some may be skilled photographers, however being a photographer versus being an instructor are two different things. When someone we rarely hear from, or have never heard from suddenly posts a slew of their photographs in landscape and leads off with "From my recent workshop in ..." That turns me off and I move on.

I've never seen so many groups in the parks as I have in the last few years here; white vans, or caravans of SUV's, parades of "photographers" trampling the cryptobiotic soil, then jumping back in the vehicles and heading to the next overlook. People see a photograph and do anything to imitate it.

I like how Steve asks for nothing, yet contribute willingly with his videos and contributions here. Photography was never about workshops in the past.

Oct 10, 2016 at 03:12 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Workshops (Infomercials?)

Over the past ten years I've noticed that many full time photographers have used "workshops" as a way to bolster income. I think part of this is because it's much easier to market yourself this way on the internet, and partly to make up for income lost from magazine and stock photo sales. I don't mind the creativity here, but I too have heard of "big name" photographers basically using money from workshop attendees to fund their travel, and I do think this is wrong. Over the years I've had people come to South Dakota and pay me to take them to the hot birding spots or photo wildlife. I didn't charge much, but I put my guests at the center of attention and did my best to make sure they got their money's worth and a little more.

Kent in SD

Oct 10, 2016 at 03:46 AM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Workshops (Infomercials?)

Local camera clubs will occasionally put on one day seminars for a nominal fee. Our club did several with 1 hour sessions on various topics including model shoots, still life, lighting, etc. There were reps from Epson, Canon and Nikon with tables set up in the hall talking about their products and answering questions.

In Chicago and environs check out caccaweb.com. It is the umbrella organization for some 50 local clubs and puts on a seminar annually.

You actually learn at these. They are not infomercials.

Oct 13, 2016 at 03:16 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password