Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Yellowstone/Tetons Critters...

cohenfive
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Yellowstone/Tetons Critters...

We just got back from our first visit to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons. While most of the latter was dedicated to a landscape photography workshop, we did spend quite a bit of time looking for critters. No grizzlies to be seen, and the only wolf I saw was several miles away, a black speck in someone's digiscoped iphone through their long scope. Saw tons of bison, lots of moose, elk, etc....We got lucky with one bald eagle who was following fish and game boats down the Gros Ventre river as they stunned and then counted trout populations. Smart bird.

Baldie perched on the rocks above the Gros Ventre river...

Baldie in flight

Great grey owl, Yellowstone

Great grey owl in flight, Tetons

Tetons moose...

Oct 07, 2016 at 06:15 PM
cohenfive
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Yellowstone/Tetons Critters...

A few more.....

Another moose, sniffing to see who's around...

Just a duck, but gorgeous on the still waters...

Elk bugling...

Yellowstond bison...we got very, very close to some of them.

Oct 07, 2016 at 06:18 PM
marcy45
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Yellowstone/Tetons Critters...

you got a great gray owl - that is one of the trophies that everyone wants - good shots -

Oct 07, 2016 at 07:47 PM
JamesLarsen
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Yellowstone/Tetons Critters...

What a great set(s)! I love the Bald Eagle & Owl shots.

Oct 07, 2016 at 09:10 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Yellowstone/Tetons Critters...

These are all very well done Richard ~ Ron

Oct 07, 2016 at 09:39 PM
cohenfive
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Yellowstone/Tetons Critters...

Thanks gang. Actually we saw two great gray owls, one in YS and one in the Tetons...Lucky I guess, although I might have liked to have seen grizzlies or wolves...but that's the way nature is, you take what you get!

Oct 08, 2016 at 01:54 AM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Yellowstone/Tetons Critters...

enjoyed them all Richard.. nicely done

Oct 08, 2016 at 03:03 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Yellowstone/Tetons Critters...

Excelent set Richard. The eagle between the changing trees is unique and a delight to view

Morris

Oct 08, 2016 at 09:18 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Yellowstone/Tetons Critters...

The second eagle image and the owl images are excellent and very enjoyable!

Joshua

Oct 08, 2016 at 12:13 PM
cohenfive
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Yellowstone/Tetons Critters...

Thanks. Still digging through images to see if anything else is worthy of posting here.

Oct 08, 2016 at 03:36 PM
guitardirky
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Yellowstone/Tetons Critters...

Love the 2nd eagle shot as well. and nice work on finding the great grey. hope the lens arsenal you finally decided on met your needs! I know you had been asking about the best stuff to take on the flight and what would get the most use. I just got back from a trip to the Tetons and posted 20 images. Most were all take with my 500mm/f4.

What did you end up using and liking the best?

Oct 10, 2016 at 03:40 PM
cohenfive
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Yellowstone/Tetons Critters...

guitardirky wrote:
Love the 2nd eagle shot as well. and nice work on finding the great grey. hope the lens arsenal you finally decided on met your needs! I know you had been asking about the best stuff to take on the flight and what would get the most use. I just got back from a trip to the Tetons and posted 20 images. Most were all take with my 500mm/f4.

What did you end up using and liking the best?

Your pics are great, I guess you saw a lot of moose! We saw several, but really not as easily photographed as yours were..or maybe it was just your skill! Thanks on the eagle, that one is likely getting blown up and printed. Very jealous you saw grizzly, we saw almost no predators at all...

I was pretty happy with the gear I took..used all four lenses about as expected--14-24 the least, 24-70 the most, both longer lenses used a lot. Could have used my big tripod, but glad I didn't schelp it around. Did my first night shooting of stars/milky way. Learned a few things, have to practice some more. Good thing I didn't try to take my big mindshift bag with me, I would have had a problem coming home, small commuter jet out of Jackson. Would not have fit in overhead or under seat, so having my 500vr wrapped in bubble wrap in a duffel bag worked perfectly.

Oct 10, 2016 at 03:56 PM
guitardirky
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Yellowstone/Tetons Critters...

cohenfive wrote:
Your pics are great, I guess you saw a lot of moose! We saw several, but really not as easily photographed as yours were..or maybe it was just your skill! Thanks on the eagle, that one is likely getting blown up and printed. Very jealous you saw grizzly, we saw almost no predators at all...

I was pretty happy with the gear I took..used all four lenses about as expected--14-24 the least, 24-70 the most, both longer lenses used a lot. Could have used my big tripod, but glad I didn't schelp it around. Did my first night shooting of stars/milky
...Show more

I did a year of research going into the trip and knew where I should be looking for the most part. The Moose were easy once I found them. Roughly 12 of them in the area each morning. I just set up and let them do their thing and many times they came right past me up close. The Grizzly was "Blondie". Saw her 2 days in a row and both times the ranger kept us at 165+ yds instead of allowing us to get to 100. The bear sightings had been sparse the last few weeks and this past weekend folks had reported both 399 and Blondie being out in sight. I had one place I knew to check and I got lucky on my timing with her. I was more bummed I didn't see any Great Grey Owls anywhere.

Oct 10, 2016 at 04:11 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Yellowstone/Tetons Critters...

Great set - love the eagle!!

Oct 12, 2016 at 07:35 AM
lpretorius

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Yellowstone/Tetons Critters...

Cool stuff! I love Yellowstone!

Oct 12, 2016 at 06:41 PM
cdn1
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Yellowstone/Tetons Critters...

Fantastic set Richard, looks like a place I'm going to have to visit one day , thanks for sharing!

Don

Oct 13, 2016 at 07:27 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.