New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · 1.4x for the 6D and 100-400II

uhoh7
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1.4x for the 6D and 100-400II

I guess the canon TCs will not AF the 100-400II?

But some others will, like the Tamron?

Would be the best of 1.4x TCs which could AF that lens?

TY, sirs

Oct 07, 2016 at 08:58 PM
Max_Pain
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1.4x for the 6D and 100-400II

It's not the TC that won't autofocus...it's the camera that is unable to AF at f/8. If you use some TCs, like the Kenko, it "lies" to the camera, and makes it think it's not there. So the camera tries to AF...it might be ok, might not be great, but it continues to have AF. Kenko is the one I hear recommended for this.

Oct 07, 2016 at 09:10 PM
rabbitmountain
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1.4x for the 6D and 100-400II

Not sure if this is a path for you, but you apparently want more reach than you get with your 100-400ii. So here it is. The 80D offers a 1.6 FL increase and you can still use all AF points. Cost wise the 80D is of course more expensive but it's very popular for this purpose.
And if you still need more reach than that, the 80D will take the 1.4xiii canon TC and still have 27 AF points available, giving you a well focusing effective 896mm combo.

I sometimes use this exact same lens/TC combo on my 5DsR and get the same reach but I can only use centre AF point.

Oct 08, 2016 at 12:40 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

fplstudio
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1.4x for the 6D and 100-400II

I have read somewhere that the latest firmware for the canon 6d has unlocked the AF centre point when a 1.4x canon is mounted. I dont have direct experience if that is true.

Oct 08, 2016 at 12:59 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1.4x for the 6D and 100-400II

Interesting to hear that they MAY have unlocked the center AF for f/8. That was one aspect of the 6D that led me to opt for the 80D (and articulating display, etc.). Would be curious to hear confirming of the 6D @ f/8.

I was surprised they let f/8 AF exist in the XX series. Stands to reason then that the 6D II will have f/8 AF capability in the future. Till then the 80D it is for now.

As to focusing with a TC @ f/8 ... try AF'ing in Live View with your TC on. As you watch it struggle / hunt, you kinda get a sense of why it is f/8 disabled, particularly for low light levels.

Oct 08, 2016 at 02:44 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1.4x for the 6D and 100-400II

fplstudio wrote:
I have read somewhere that the latest firmware for the canon 6d has unlocked the AF centre point when a 1.4x canon is mounted. I dont have direct experience if that is true.

Where?

Firmware Version 1.1.7 incorporate the following fix:

Corrects a phenomenon in which when using the camera with the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM lens, even if lens aberration correction is set to "Enable", correction will not be applied.

(Previous) Version 1.1.6 improvements:
1. Fixes a phenomenon wherein AI Servo AF, if the AF point selection is automatic, the camera may not first use the center AF point to focus.
2. Fixes a phenomenon where focus cannot be finely adjusted with specific lenses when performing remote shooting using the bundled application software EOS Utility.
3. Corrects the incorrect indication in the Ukrainian menu for ISO Setting

(Previous) Version 1.1.4 improvements:
1. Fixes a phenomenon in which some images cannot be transferred to mobile devices running the EOS Remote app.
2. Corrects an error in the German language Feature Guide.
3. Corrects an error in the Korean language Feature Guide.

(Previous) Version 1.1.3 improvements:
Corrects the phenomenon where date/time settings reset.

(Previous) Version 1.1.2 improvements:
Fixes a phenomenon which prevents movie files shot using Canon EOS 6D Digital SLR cameras from being played back on YouTube.

EBH

Oct 08, 2016 at 02:57 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password