New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · A walk with my little girl

Blakemore
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A walk with my little girl

The latest edits of these two photos are in Post #11 below.

I so often get caught up in the "work" of being a parent.

On the way home from work the other day, I had one of those moments where my thoughts suddenly shifted to how quickly my children are growing up; specifically relating to my daughter. When I got home I summoned her home from her friend's house and asked her to take a walk with me. Her inquisitive glare reminded me, this is something I should have been doing more often.

When she noticed I had my backpack with me, she immediately knew what I had planned for our stroll. She rolled her eyes in a veiled attempt to convey how ridiculous her daddy is, but I saw through that - right down to that heartwarming smirk I was hoping for.

I know that I don't have as much time left with them as I always think I do, and that hurts my heart. Hopefully, I can drag the boy out for some photos here soon, albeit, in a more "macho" location...

I don't consider myself a portrait photographer, but C&C is always welcome.

Nikon 50mm f1.2 Ais

Nikon 85mm f1.8G

Edited on Oct 10, 2016 at 04:48 PM · View previous versions

Oct 07, 2016 at 07:43 PM
robertr

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A walk with my little girl

I really like the first portrait... the background blur frames her nicely and that slight hint of a smile is as you say heartwarming. The colors in the second really accent the color of her hair. Lovely young woman. Well done!

Oct 07, 2016 at 08:45 PM
GoodEgg
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A walk with my little girl

Great job for a not-a-portrait-photographer! You did well, especially in the Making Memories Dept.

Oct 07, 2016 at 09:08 PM
CJMiller
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A walk with my little girl

Very nice photos of your daughter and a great reminder to all of us that the years speed by. I have four daughters,20, 17,and two 7 year olds. Just today the 17 year old and I have been putting a picture board together for senior night (volleyball) next Tuesday.
Amazing how quickly time passes.
Once again, nice job.

Oct 07, 2016 at 10:17 PM
glowhunter
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A walk with my little girl

the yellow background is a bit overpowering. Her skin, hair and facial features almost blend in with the background, especially in the second pic. It looks like you applied a color gradient, if so I would mask out her face and bring some of the skin color back. Beautiful girl by the way.

Oct 07, 2016 at 10:19 PM
Blakemore
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A walk with my little girl

Thank you @GoodEgg !

And thank you too @robertr !

@CJMiller , Thank you and you are a blessed man!

glowhunter wrote:
the yellow background is a bit overpowering. Her skin, hair and facial features almost blend in with the background, especially in the second pic. It looks like you applied a color gradient, if so I would mask out her face and bring some of the skin color back. Beautiful girl by the way.

@glowhunter, thank you very much for pointing this out. I agree, the way I processed them did make the colors too flat. I shot the 85mm one at ISO 2500 vs ISO64 with the 50mm, so I don't know if that made a difference or not.

Here are some revised versions, heeding your advice. What do you think now and is there anything else that you think would improve them?

Oct 08, 2016 at 02:46 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

glowhunter
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A walk with my little girl

Blakemore wrote:
Here are some revised versions, heeding your advice. What do you think now and is there anything else that you think would improve them?

i've tweeked the colors to where it looks best to me, focusing on getting the skintone right (which is hugely important in portraiture) and removing the yellow/green cast. Your mileage may vary.

Oct 08, 2016 at 04:44 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A walk with my little girl

Very nice! I really like the warm colors!

Oct 10, 2016 at 01:46 AM
nextelbuddy
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A walk with my little girl

I like the 1st one the best, how she is looking off to the side just a tad, very nice pictures.

Oct 10, 2016 at 12:43 PM
margo111

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · A walk with my little girl

Wow! The first picture is really nice!

To be honest, we have admired your photos with the whole our company. I work at handmade writing.com. Handmade Writings provide any custom papers you need! All my colleagues are very talented and some of them are photographers too. They told that you are talented for photography and your daughter can become a model in the future.https://handmadewritings.com/custom-papers

Oct 10, 2016 at 02:38 PM
Blakemore
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · A walk with my little girl

glowhunter wrote:
i've tweeked the colors to where it looks best to me, focusing on getting the skintone right (which is hugely important in portraiture) and removing the yellow/green cast. Your mileage may vary.

Thank you very much @friscoron, and @nextelbuddy

Okay @glowhunter, I took a step back for a couple of days and then re-edited both of them again (want to keep them as consistent as I can). I do think these are much better than the initial edits. Thanks again for pointing it out!

Oct 10, 2016 at 04:44 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password