Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Miracuclous 7D resurrection!!!

dorian
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Miracuclous 7D resurrection!!!

Here is a story some of you might find interesting. So my old skool 7D died at in April of 2014 - wouldn't even turn on. As I was biking around the country on my big bike-birding adventure at that time, I sent the camera home and finished out the following 8 months with a loaner 7D from FM all-star and all around good guy Socrate.

Fast forward to Jan 2015. I'm back at home after the end of the bike trip. I try to power up my 7D to see what happens. No luck, nothing. I shelved it, using my 1DIV until I purchased 7D2 in April of that year. I at that time again tried to turn on camera as a shot in the dark. Again, nothing.

OK, fast forward to this week, 2.5 years after the camera originally died. I figured that I should get it fixed, sell it, and use the profit to help defray any potential for fix my 7D2 AF issues I described a few weeks ago.

Well, shit, wouldn't ya know? The thing powers up just fine. WTF?!?!? Worked great all morning. Not sure how the hell this all shook out but I'll take it.

Body sat without battery for the entire time, save for the 3 instances where I tried to power it up.

Thoughts?

Oct 07, 2016 at 06:55 PM
RSHPhotography
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Miracuclous 7D resurrection!!!

I hear Canon employees know how to pick locks as part of their training.

You were visited by their Ninja division.

Oct 07, 2016 at 07:04 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Miracuclous 7D resurrection!!!

Just was in a coma for a bit of long time, all healed now buddy, get back at it!
I have read about your ill focusing 7DII, I have also spoken with a well respected N&W shooter who was so happy with his first 7DII that he went and got another one and it is perfect too!

I found once upon sending in a 70-200L lens for service that Canon will not service water damaged lenses, not sure on bodies, not sure if that was actually what happened in your case either. I imagine they don't want the liabilities later down the road of what corrosion can do on other parts they did not replace.

I would take the new 7DII and place it without battery in the exact same spot you had the old 7D and let magic happen!!

Karl
Good for you Dorian, glad you got your old pal back

Oct 07, 2016 at 07:16 PM
PatrickSweeney
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Miracuclous 7D resurrection!!!

Oh, they'll service water-damaged bodies and lenses. I know, because I sent one each in a while back.

The quotes were for as much as, or more than the replacement costs.

Oct 07, 2016 at 07:21 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

timgangloff
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Miracuclous 7D resurrection!!!

Karl Witt wrote:
I would take the new 7DII and place it without battery in the exact same spot you had the old 7D and let magic happen!!

:

I'm just not sure he want's to wait 2.5 years for that magic to happen. But cool story.

Oct 07, 2016 at 07:46 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Miracuclous 7D resurrection!!!

May be those eight months your camera spent sitting in one of my drawer helped as well
Great to hear that, my friend! I know how much you liked that camera and couldn't have happened a better time to relive some of your frustration with the 7D II.
Socrate

Oct 08, 2016 at 03:57 AM
eddieb

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Miracuclous 7D resurrection!!!

It's the result of good, clean living.

Oct 11, 2016 at 04:48 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password