New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Rank them

ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Rank them

These are print candidates of the fall photo season. I have already shown them here and need to narrow it down. I would like for you to pick one favorite, or none. If you would like to comment, I would prefer only negatives, otherwise I would like to hear what you would change to any or all of the images, including scrap.
If this works, it could be an interesting way to do critique.

Edited on Oct 07, 2016 at 06:47 PM · View previous versions

Oct 07, 2016 at 06:44 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Rank them

The images are here

1. Valley

Canon EOS 5DS R    EF24-70mm f/2.8L II USM lens    41mm    f/7.1    1/500s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

2, Fog

Canon EOS 5DS R    EF24-70mm f/2.8L II USM lens    50mm    f/5.6    1/30s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  

3. Golden Hillside

Canon EOS 5DS R    EF24-70mm f/2.8L II USM lens    28mm    f/8.0    1/125s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

4. Pano

Canon EOS 5DS R    EF24-70mm f/2.8L II USM lens    39mm    f/13.0    2s    100 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Oct 07, 2016 at 06:47 PM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Rank them

Damn it! I hit the wrong button and now it won't let me vote!

How's that for a negative comment?

Oh, and you make it too hard to choose.

Sorry, that's all the negatives I got.

pm sent

Oct 07, 2016 at 11:15 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Rank them

Looks like the voting is going to be just as indecisive as you are atm ... one vote for each.

Oct 08, 2016 at 02:24 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Rank them

Thanks for the comment Kent. Maybe this method for critique is too analytical.

Actually I always know what I like, but usually I am at odds with others and after a while, I stop liking something if nobody else does.

Oct 08, 2016 at 02:48 PM
beanpkk
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Rank them

Ben,

I have frequently wanted to show several takes of an image and ask for input on which is better and why, so I hope you find this successful and others do it as well. Just FYI I voted for #4. #1 is almost all in shade with a spot of very contrasty sunlight that isn't big enough to make itself the visual core of the image. Given that you probably have hundreds of images, I'd scrap this one. #2 and #3 don't have a lot to offer to my eye over and above the millions of fall images we all see at this time of year (including our own!!). Composition-wise they both look like pieces of a larger image, with no clear reason for why the boundaries were made the way they were. Could you have zoomed out on either one and created at least one compositional edge? #4 has it all (positive comment, sorry).

Just my (probably useless) opinion. Good idea for a post and let's see more of this.

keith

Oct 09, 2016 at 12:47 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Rank them

beanpkk wrote:
Ben,

I have frequently wanted to show several takes of an image and ask for input on which is better and why, so I hope you find this successful and others do it as well. Just FYI I voted for #4. #1 is almost all in shade with a spot of very contrasty sunlight that isn't big enough to make itself the visual core of the image. Given that you probably have hundreds of images, I'd scrap this one. #2 and #3 don't have a lot to offer to my eye over and above the millions of fall images we all
...Show more

Thanks Keith. exactly the way I hoped this would work. I never know what to expect in terms of selection, but this combination of choosing the best and critiquing the rest is extremely helpful.

The thing about 4 is that it is more unique than the others. Not many images from here, and not many with this sort of mood. I am hoping that I can develop a style that concentrates on local scenes, and non iconic presentation.

Oct 09, 2016 at 04:20 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password