FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              7      
       end

Archive 2016 · Voigtlander 12mm f/5.6 III Images and Tests

hanay78
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #1 · p.8 #1 · Voigtlander 12mm f/5.6 III Images and Tests

anybody can help me with this issue? Thanks you very very much in advance and regards

hanay78 wrote:
Hello, thank you very much for answering

Yes of course not much wind. even them the leas trees and so on move significantly.

Now I am not fully understanding what you mean. shoot with high ISO so that the leafs are clean?

Ok, I measure light in sky and take several correct exposition of the sky. then I should mix/blend several of them? Something like an average? or also with the exposition of the foliage?

Pitifully i am not following you, and believe me I would like to learn as I have had may times this problem and did not found a solution
...Show more

Aug 19, 2018 at 05:44 AM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.8 #2 · p.8 #2 · Voigtlander 12mm f/5.6 III Images and Tests

You can use the bracketing function on the camera to take 3, 5 or more shots at different exposures. Make sure that the high exposure gives good clean shadows and the low exposure prevents clipping in the sky and that overall the ISO is high enough to freeze movement.

Then use LR or PS to blend the shots (use the Photo Merge > HDR function) and turn on the deghosting to prevent duplication of foliage.

You can use Auto in the HDR Merge window to adjust the created .dng image and it gives pretty good starting points, but you can then continue adjusting with the shadows and highlight sliders, and the brush or gradient masks to improve the shadows while protecting the sky. There are several levels of deghosting, so if the low version does not eliminate the foliage movement (from frame to frame) try a higher value.

Aug 19, 2018 at 05:59 AM
hanay78
• • •
p.8 #3 · p.8 #3 · Voigtlander 12mm f/5.6 III Images and Tests

Hi,

thank you for your response.

I am quite experienced with HDR. My experience with foliage, is that even in absence of strong wind, deghosting cannot fully provide a fully clean image. I am not using LR, but NIK. So maybe this is better in LR.

I believe there was alternative techniques. I am tending to use HDR less and less because otherwise I finish with an image that looks like HDR. whilst this may be nice in some ocasions, in others is not specially what i prefer.

Now I am suing more and more Lee Seven5 filters, that are small and good.

Regards

mcbroomf wrote:
You can use the bracketing function on the camera to take 3, 5 or more shots at different exposures. Make sure that the high exposure gives good clean shadows and the low exposure prevents clipping in the sky and that overall the ISO is high enough to freeze movement.

Then use LR or PS to blend the shots (use the Photo Merge > HDR function) and turn on the deghosting to prevent duplication of foliage.

You can use Auto in the HDR Merge window to adjust the created .dng image and it gives pretty good starting points, but you can then continue
...Show more

Aug 20, 2018 at 07:31 AM
Battlestar23

p.8 #4 · p.8 #4 · Voigtlander 12mm f/5.6 III Images and Tests

Voigtlander officially discontinued the 12mm f/5.6 FE lens
Voigtlander officially announced the 12mm f/5.6 FE lens is discontinued. I guess the lens made little sales and people preferred the 10mm f/5.6 Voigtlander lens…
SAR

Apr 26, 2019 at 07:32 AM
theacguy71
• • •
p.8 #5 · p.8 #5 · Voigtlander 12mm f/5.6 III Images and Tests

Practicing with the 12mm,

Raven’s Roost , Blued Ridge Pkwy by Vaughn Adams, on Flickr

Humpback Rocks, Blue Ridge Pkwy by Vaughn Adams, on Flickr

Apr 28, 2019 at 07:12 PM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #6 · p.8 #6 · Voigtlander 12mm f/5.6 III Images and Tests

Maybe I should grab one while they are still around.
The 10mm is not quite as good as the 12mm, correct?

Apr 28, 2019 at 07:38 PM
theacguy71
• • •
p.8 #7 · p.8 #7 · Voigtlander 12mm f/5.6 III Images and Tests

jhinkey wrote:
Maybe I should grab one while they are still around.
The 10mm is not quite as good as the 12mm, correct?

I have no knowledge of the 10mm, Scored a great deal on this used 12mm, i need a lot of practice with this focal length!

Apr 28, 2019 at 07:43 PM
_manny_
• •
p.8 #8 · p.8 #8 · Voigtlander 12mm f/5.6 III Images and Tests

I'm curious if anyone here tested the M mount version of the 12mm on a Sony camera?

The 15mm Mark III lens was identical for both Leica and Sony mount in terms of the optics. I read people claiming - I think just guessing but maybe there was some kind of official statement? - that this was a feature of Voigtlander's Mark III lenses of which the 12mm is one too but I don't know if it was found to be the case in reality.

If so it means we would still be able to buy this lens, albeit in M mount,

Apr 29, 2019 at 05:23 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.8 #9 · p.8 #9 · Voigtlander 12mm f/5.6 III Images and Tests

_manny_ wrote:
I'm curious if anyone here tested the M mount version of the 12mm on a Sony camera?

The 15mm Mark III lens was identical for both Leica and Sony mount in terms of the optics. I read people claiming - I think just guessing but maybe there was some kind of official statement? - that this was a feature of Voigtlander's Mark III lenses of which the 12mm is one too but I don't know if it was found to be the case in reality.

If so it means we would still be able to buy this lens, albeit in M
...Show more

There was no official statement. It's just what some folk testing them here found - no difference, unlike with some other (faster) CV lenses. Don't recall who.

It makes sense give the speed; you ought be able to design a lens this slow that performs similarly on both sensors if that's your starting intention. Though whether a dedicated design could be a bit better still, I don't know.

Apr 29, 2019 at 05:27 PM
_manny_
• •
p.8 #10 · p.8 #10 · Voigtlander 12mm f/5.6 III Images and Tests

Yes, there is a logic to it - in essence I think they shifted the designs to be slightly more "slr like" so the angles for the light from the rear most elements were no longer so extreme. The narrow aperture surely makes this easier too as you said. The downside was the lenses, while still small compared to others, became quite a bit larger than the Mark I and II versions.

I remember here seeing some quite precise and controlled head-to-head testing of the 15mm VM and FE versions on a Sony and there was no optical difference even right into the corners. (This really does leave me scratching my head as to why Zeiss can't adapt some of their great ZM lenses to FE mount - the 18/4, 28/2.8, 35/1.4, 50/1.5 and 85/2 are all well regarded.)

I am quite tempted by the idea of buying a VM 12mm so it can be adapted and can also be used with the Techart Pro but so many rangefinder lenses perform badly on Sony cameras that I am wary unless someone has actually tested them head-to-head.

Apr 29, 2019 at 05:41 PM
aae991
• • •
p.8 #11 · p.8 #11 · Voigtlander 12mm f/5.6 III Images and Tests

I shot this last year on my first outing with this lens and the A7RIII. This was at Balboa Park in San Diego. I don't use it often, but it's a keeper.

Apr 29, 2019 at 08:08 PM
Uncle Chip
• • •
p.8 #12 · p.8 #12 · Voigtlander 12mm f/5.6 III Images and Tests

As I am about to get this lens thought I would ask for up to date feedback on it

Jul 16, 2019 at 03:37 PM
erekose

p.8 #13 · p.8 #13 · Voigtlander 12mm f/5.6 III Images and Tests

I have one in VM mount, adapted to my A7R II, that has earned a full-time place in my bag. There are many instances in which I couldn't have got the shot without this lens. Here is a recent example

Jul 17, 2019 at 02:05 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.8 #14 · p.8 #14 · Voigtlander 12mm f/5.6 III Images and Tests

I don't know why this lens was discontinued. It's noticeably better than the CV 10/5.6 in terms of resolution/contrast and there isn't any other lens that matches its flare resistance, sunstar and color rendering!
I would grab one before it's gone!

Jul 27, 2019 at 12:32 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.8 #15 · p.8 #15 · Voigtlander 12mm f/5.6 III Images and Tests

aae991 wrote:
I shot this last year on my first outing with this lens and the A7RIII. This was at Balboa Park in San Diego. I don't use it often, but it's a keeper.

Huge CA (and if you wish window reflection) needs cleaning up but I like the shot and it's a lovely dome. I really love UWA shots.

Jul 27, 2019 at 12:35 AM
j.liam
• • • •
p.8 #16 · p.8 #16 · Voigtlander 12mm f/5.6 III Images and Tests

****deleted *****

Nov 21, 2023 at 08:04 PM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.