New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              7       8       end

Archive 2016 · Voigtlander 12mm f/5.6 III Images and Tests

GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Voigtlander 12mm f/5.6 III Images and Tests

I thought we had a thread on this already but I do not see it. If so maybe Fred can move them. Anyway this is a fun lens and I'm still testing it as this morning i noticed the extreme corners don't get really that sharp but given its a 12mm maybe the just don't anyway. Something I am not worried about. But i MUST give you all a VERY STERN warning using this lens. DO NOT GO PHOTOGRAPH WILD ANIMALS WITH THIS LENS. YOU WILL GET EATEN ALIVE. lol

Seriously you are on top of everything with this lens.

Oct 07, 2016 at 01:18 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Voigtlander 12mm f/5.6 III Images and Tests

Couple more closer up

Dashboard cam

Oct 07, 2016 at 01:19 PM
MIRANDA1
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Voigtlander 12mm f/5.6 III Images and Tests

Guy

How do the corners compare to your VC15? Given that the VC12 is significantly wider I would expect that a good copy of the 15 would have better corners. Are they significantly different?

Oct 07, 2016 at 05:05 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Voigtlander 12mm f/5.6 III Images and Tests

I've seen good copies of the CV 15/4.5III and tested two copies of both CV 12mm and CV 10mm lenses.
At infiinity, the 15mm is superior towards the edges and the 12 is not far behind. Both have more resolution and contrast when compared to the 10mm.

Oct 07, 2016 at 05:09 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Voigtlander 12mm f/5.6 III Images and Tests

Guy,
I just checked your RAW files your copy peaks at f/8-9 for the extreme edges which is similar to what I saw with my two copies. It's hard for me to know if your copy is better or worse than mine but they do peak at similar aperture openings.

Oct 07, 2016 at 05:10 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Voigtlander 12mm f/5.6 III Images and Tests

Thanks Fred. I would say the 15 is a little better in the extreme corners but we are talking a very extreme wide here so I really don't expect miracles in the extreme corners . I think that's a fair assessment for a lens like this. It's very sharp lens so far pretty happy with it. My test wall changed they put new wood in it so it's harder to see . I sent Fred my Raws just to see if his copy is similar to his. Sounds like it is. Really fun lens

Oct 07, 2016 at 05:46 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Voigtlander 12mm f/5.6 III Images and Tests

Anyone familiar with how this CV 12mm compares to the Canon 11-24 at 12mm? Seems the Canon got outstanding reviews for sharpness, but never seen it directly compared against the CV 10-12-15.

Nice examples, Guy! Thanks!

Oct 07, 2016 at 07:37 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Voigtlander 12mm f/5.6 III Images and Tests

I am noticing one thing as it seems things closer in the extreme corners look better than far away. Something to watch as you shoot as most images the bottom of the frame looks better in the corners.

Oct 08, 2016 at 09:08 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Voigtlander 12mm f/5.6 III Images and Tests

Well my 12mm is officially mine forever. A very rare moment for me but I have a Gordy wrist strap and it failed today pulling camera I put strap around my wrist lifted out of bag and was left with wrist on my arm. Camera and 12mm hit the deck in a rocky flower bed and caught the top petal and bent it and scratched the hood. Gordy strap is being burned. I did get a immediate camera fail and turned off and than on and still fail. Than pulled battery and it's working again. I'll inspect it further in a few minutes but shit happens. I have seen this stuff happen way too often on workshops with other folks. Guess it was my turn this time. But I seriously consider myself lucky after millions of frames over the years I have done well here.

Oct 08, 2016 at 08:33 PM
MikeEvangelist
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Voigtlander 12mm f/5.6 III Images and Tests

GMPhotography wrote:
Well my 12mm is officially mine forever.

I can think of worse lenses to get stuck with. But still, major bummer.

Oct 08, 2016 at 09:20 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Voigtlander 12mm f/5.6 III Images and Tests

Yea I know, glad I was keeping it anyway. Everything seems okay and I bent the ding back to shape. I could dremel it off and still use the lens hood. About 1/4 inch

Oct 08, 2016 at 09:24 PM
Vcize
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Voigtlander 12mm f/5.6 III Images and Tests

You don't have insurance?

Oct 08, 2016 at 11:09 PM
Luvwine
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Voigtlander 12mm f/5.6 III Images and Tests

GMPhotography wrote:
Yea I know, glad I was keeping it anyway. Everything seems okay and I bent the ding back to shape. I could dremel it off and still use the lens hood. About 1/4 inch

Guy, I was confused by your your earlier post. I thought there must be some mistake as I did not know any Voigtlander hood to survive long in the company of you and your Dremel.....

Sorry about the mishap. I can relate in that I once had a Canon 5D M2 with a Zeiss ZE 50/2 take a drink in the river when I was photographing a waterfall. Was glad I had inland marine coverage.

Oct 08, 2016 at 11:16 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Voigtlander 12mm f/5.6 III Images and Tests

Nice, Guy!

I'm still mulling over whether I want to switch from the 10 to the 12; the 12 seems a bit better. But I think when I want extreme I want EXTREME, and can put up with a slight contrast/sharpness drop to pay for that. A 14/15 is more a general purpose ultra wide for me, and having sold my most recent Samyang (history: Good copy, bad copy, terrible copy, OK copy) I'm evaluating my options: Laowa, AF Samyang, Irix, Beast Samyang, CV, or wait. I'd really like a superb 14/15, and maybe one day there'll be a Loxia. The SLR Zeiss is nice, but too big and expensive (I'd forgive big OR expensive, but not both..)

Oct 09, 2016 at 12:17 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Voigtlander 12mm f/5.6 III Images and Tests

Vcize wrote:
You don't have insurance?

I would not use insurance for a single 1k lens . For me I use that for a total loss of a system. Besides that lens works fine just a dinged hood. I don't care too much about looks just how they perform.

Oct 09, 2016 at 12:49 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Voigtlander 12mm f/5.6 III Images and Tests

DavidBM wrote:
Nice, Guy!

I'm still mulling over whether I want to switch from the 10 to the 12; the 12 seems a bit better. But I think when I want extreme I want EXTREME, and can put up with a slight contrast/sharpness drop to pay for that. A 14/15 is more a general purpose ultra wide for me, and having sold my most recent Samyang (history: Good copy, bad copy, terrible copy, OK copy) I'm evaluating my options: Laowa, AF Samyang, Irix, Beast Samyang, CV, or wait. I'd really like a superb 14/15, and maybe one day there'll be a Loxia. The
...Show more

It's a tough call. I like the 12mm as I like the look of the images, there are a lot of lenses coming to market so just seeing if I need something between 12 and 21. I don't think I do but will see.

Oct 09, 2016 at 12:51 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Voigtlander 12mm f/5.6 III Images and Tests

I'd be really interested in seeing a comparison of extreme corners on this FE version compared to the previous M version + adaptor.

Oct 09, 2016 at 04:00 AM
Barry Haines
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Voigtlander 12mm f/5.6 III Images and Tests

Guy, very sorry to hear that, that is a real bummer as Mike said earlier (burn that strap well and put it behind you)

I'm glad you are still keeping the 12mm though, as it's a fun lens for sure

The 16-35mm FE is a very good one lens solution for filling in some of the FL gaps between the 12mm - 21mm as well as 21mm - 25mm where it performs at it's best, as you already know and have demonstrated previously, it's not so great at the 35mm end and certainly it's no replacement for your 21mm Loxia.

Please continue with this thread if possible, as I expect it will be very useful for many here who are considering getting this lens

Cheers Barry

Oct 09, 2016 at 06:50 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Voigtlander 12mm f/5.6 III Images and Tests

Yes the good news is it's a nice copy so I did not have to return it anyway. Which is the saving grace. It took a hard fall and survived so glad about that. And yes keep this thread going.

Oct 09, 2016 at 06:58 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Voigtlander 12mm f/5.6 III Images and Tests

leicamera wrote:
Guy, very sorry to hear that, that is a real bummer as Mike said earlier (burn that strap well and put it behind you)

I'm glad you are still keeping the 12mm though, as it's a fun lens for sure

The 16-35mm FE is a very good one lens solution for filling in some of the FL gaps between the 12mm - 21mm as well as 21mm - 25mm where it performs at it's best, as you already know and have demonstrated previously, it's not so great at the 35mm end and certainly it's no replacement for your 21mm Loxia.

Please
...Show more

If they came out with a GM 16-35 now that maybe worth it as well in that area. Not sure I would use both GMs at the same time though. But if the 16-35 turned out better than the 24-70 we'll that adds a decision to make.

Oct 09, 2016 at 07:00 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.