New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Third Party 5DIV Grips?

thebeginning
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Third Party 5DIV Grips?

I've used several Canon and third party grips over the years, on the 20d, 5d, 5d II, 5d III, etc. Over that time I've realized that grips from brands like Vello are completely fine, but it doesn't seem like there are any available yet for the 5d IV.

Is that because of some new legal issue, or because the 5dIV hasn't been out long enough for these other companies to develop them? Any other brands I should look for?

Don't really want to drop nearly $400 when I can get a decent third party one plus some extra batteries for < $150...

Oct 07, 2016 at 12:28 PM
Brea
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Third Party 5DIV Grips?

Its really new dude...

Oct 07, 2016 at 12:42 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Third Party 5DIV Grips?

I'd not want to be an early adopter, but it's your warranty to void.

EBH

Oct 07, 2016 at 10:14 PM
thebeginning
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Third Party 5DIV Grips?

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

Wait, it voids the warranty of the body to use a third party grip? Seems a little ridiculous

Oct 08, 2016 at 12:55 PM
RSHPhotography
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Third Party 5DIV Grips?

I've never heard of this.

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

Oct 10, 2016 at 11:00 AM
flyfishertoo
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Third Party 5DIV Grips?

I know everyone has their own thoughts regarding the value of a dollar, but I have never understood the logic of dropping $3500 on a camera, then hesitating to spend another $400 on a grip designed to work with it.

Don

Oct 10, 2016 at 11:30 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Third Party 5DIV Grips?

D500 grips took a month or so to be released by 3rd parties. Many months to be available from a Canadian supplier via Amazon as the US won't ship them here because they have battery in their name even though there is no battery in the box... Finally got one in the mail. I would think 5D4 will be out Nov or so....

Oct 10, 2016 at 12:52 PM
thebeginning
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Third Party 5DIV Grips?

flyfishertoo wrote:
I know everyone has their own thoughts regarding the value of a dollar, but I have never understood the logic of dropping $3500 on a camera, then hesitating to spend another $400 on a grip designed to work with it.

Don

Literally because I spent that $3500

But again - I've used Canon grips for years, then tried third parties on two different bodies, and they both worked exactly the same. For technical performance of things like lenses and such I'm picky, but if it works it works.

Oct 14, 2016 at 09:25 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Third Party 5DIV Grips?

Third party vs. first party in terms of grips comes down to a combination of what you want to use the grip for, and how much you want to use it.

I have a third party grip for my 6D literally just because I wanted to make sure I had two batteries for video. And I really don't use it often enough to justify the price of the third party grip!

However, if I used it constantly, either for video or for portrait shooting controls, I'd have gotten the Canon version.

And for the 5D series with their weather sealing, I'd definitely want the Canon grip if I were using it often.

Oct 14, 2016 at 09:50 PM
jdavidse1901
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Third Party 5DIV Grips?

I would guess they will be out in a month or so. I bit the bullet last week and picked up the BG-E20. The build, buttons and solid-ness are all top notch, but it's flaw is the battery tray. I don't think I've seen a cheaper plastic used in Canon gear, and also the design of how the batteries sit in the tray is just horrible. I am hoping a 3rd party improves on the battery tray and I will probably trade in.

Oct 18, 2016 at 12:04 PM
Max_Pain
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Third Party 5DIV Grips?

jdavidse1901 wrote:
but it's flaw is the battery tray. I don't think I've seen a cheaper plastic used in Canon gear, and also the design of how the batteries sit in the tray is just horrible

That's a bummer. I'm looking at grips as well, as I'll be making the transition later this month and I'm too used to a grip (third party so far with no problems) and so i'm considering if it's worth going OEM or sticking to third party. Hmmm.

Oct 18, 2016 at 04:28 PM
rabbitmountain
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Third Party 5DIV Grips?

jdavidse1901 wrote:
I would guess they will be out in a month or so. I bit the bullet last week and picked up the BG-E20. The build, buttons and solid-ness are all top notch, but it's flaw is the battery tray. I don't think I've seen a cheaper plastic used in Canon gear, and also the design of how the batteries sit in the tray is just horrible. I am hoping a 3rd party improves on the battery tray and I will probably trade in.

Are you saying the BG-E20 tray is any different / worse than from the BG-E11 (5D3/5DsR)? I had similar thoughts about my BG-E11 tray but it's working great and I very much prefer the change coming from the 5D2 grip.

BTW don't expect a great resale value for the canon grips. A friend of mine got a BF-E11 as cashback offer, never used it, got a mere 100 bucks for it.

Oct 18, 2016 at 05:15 PM
jdavidse1901
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Third Party 5DIV Grips?

rabbitmountain wrote:
Are you saying the BG-E20 tray is any different / worse than from the BG-E11 (5D3/5DsR)? I had similar thoughts about my BG-E11 tray but it's working great and I very much prefer the change coming from the 5D2 grip.

BTW don't expect a great resale value for the canon grips. A friend of mine got a BF-E11 as cashback offer, never used it, got a mere 100 bucks for it.

Yeah it's way worse than the BG-E11. The plastic is mich thinner, flimsy to the point of flexing in points. The batteries don't have contacts within the tray; there are holes near the front of each battery and the contacts are inside the grip. I guess this eliminates a bit of wiring, but the batteries don't really seat firmly within the tray. The BG-E11 is robust in comparison. Also the E20 is stamped "made in Taiwan " and the E11 is "made in Japan."

The plastic used for the endcap of the tray appears to be identical, as is the latch mechanism. And I will reiterate that the grip itself is solid metal and the most secure and firm connection I've ever used.

Also the battery drain issue for the 5D IV is still pretty severe with the grip attached. I couldn't even make it through a whole wedding with two batteries loaded.

Oct 19, 2016 at 06:36 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.