New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Tilt/Shift lens, T/S adapter, or lensbaby

mregala

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tilt/Shift lens, T/S adapter, or lensbaby

Looking to add a little variety to my shots, and I really like the miniature effect for travel photography. I've been looking around and it seems like I have 3 options:

1) Samyang 24mm 3.5 T/S lens. $650 and give me 36mm view on my XT2. Anyone have any experience with this lens? The Samyang website shows compatibility with Fuji, but I can't find it anywhere other than some place called ONEdigital...

2) Lensbaby Edge 50. $400 but effective focal length is 75mm, may not be ideal for street/travel photography? But I'm not doing any architectural photography, is the extra $250 for a true T/S worth it?

3) Kipon adapter. ~$300 plus cost of a lens. Too expensive to really consider.

Edited on Oct 07, 2016 at 04:30 PM · View previous versions

Oct 07, 2016 at 04:24 PM
apsphoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tilt/Shift lens, T/S adapter, or lensbaby

The lensbaby edge 50 has too much distortion to get the miniature effect, you would need the Edge 80, less distortion. However, you may or may not like the lensbaby effect. I would rent one before buying one. The lensbaby optical quality can leave a lot to be desired, it is all about the out of focus effects except for the center section which is less distorted. Personally I think they are way overpriced, but they can be used creatively.

Alan

Oct 07, 2016 at 04:29 PM
mregala

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tilt/Shift lens, T/S adapter, or lensbaby

apsphoto wrote:
The lensbaby edge 50 has too much distortion to get the miniature effect, you would need the Edge 80, less distortion. However, you may or may not like the lensbaby effect. I would rent one before buying one. The lensbaby optical quality can leave a lot to be desired, it is all about the out of focus effects except for the center section which is less distorted. Personally I think they are way overpriced, but they can be used creatively.

Alan

Thanks Alan, do you know anybody that rents these? I couldn't find anyone online.

Oct 07, 2016 at 04:34 PM
apsphoto
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tilt/Shift lens, T/S adapter, or lensbaby

Lensrentals rents them you may have to rent for a Canon or Nikon, etc., and just use an adapter.
https://www.lensrentals.com/search?q=lensbaby

The Fuji version is the same things with a built in adapter.

I wish someone would rent the Samyang T/S as I would like to try it, I am sure it will be ok and better than the Lensbaby.

Alan

Oct 07, 2016 at 05:02 PM
apsphoto
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tilt/Shift lens, T/S adapter, or lensbaby

Actually Lensrentals rents the Samyang tilt and shift in a Canon mount, might be worth trying as well.

Alan

Oct 07, 2016 at 05:10 PM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tilt/Shift lens, T/S adapter, or lensbaby

Er ... you know the fujis contain a miniature option built in?? This is with the x100T

Marseille - Miniature by Ian Boys, on Flickr

Oct 07, 2016 at 05:42 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tilt/Shift lens, T/S adapter, or lensbaby

A quick search on eBay for "canon fuji tilt adapter" will find some generic EF to XF tilt adapters, like this,

search for: 281198044007

Also, you can get an EF to XF shift adapter from Fotodiox:

https://www.fotodioxpro.com/lens-mount-adapters/fotodiox-pro-shift-adapter-canon-eos-mount-lenses-to-fujifilm-x-series-camera.html

That's more or less how I started with using medium format lenses on EOS; with separate tilt and shift adapters. After about a year (and many years ago), I bought a Mirex Mamiya 645 to EOS tilt-shift adapter, which I still use, along with a couple of Canon TS-E lenses.

Oct 07, 2016 at 05:42 PM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tilt/Shift lens, T/S adapter, or lensbaby

Why would you spend any money when the camera does it just fine for nothing?

Oct 07, 2016 at 05:47 PM
apsphoto
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tilt/Shift lens, T/S adapter, or lensbaby

Ian Boys wrote:
Why would you spend any money when the camera does it just fine for nothing?

But, but, but, Ian that does not solve or quiet the GAS attack...

Alan

Oct 07, 2016 at 06:06 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mregala

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tilt/Shift lens, T/S adapter, or lensbaby

Yes, I've played with the built in miniature mode, but it only does top to bottom tilting and I'd like to be able to move the focal plane around a bit depending on what I'm shooting. I ordered the rental for a few days, will be good to see first hand real T/S vs the camera mode...

Oct 07, 2016 at 06:09 PM
apsphoto
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Tilt/Shift lens, T/S adapter, or lensbaby

Let us know how it works out....

Alan

Oct 07, 2016 at 07:35 PM
mregala

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Tilt/Shift lens, T/S adapter, or lensbaby

Ok, I'm pretty impressed with the built in "miniature" effect in the XT2... Anyone want to guess which one is the real T/S and which one isn't?

Thanks for everyone's feeback! After this comparision, I don't know that it's worth several hundred dollars to be able to rotate the field of the shift.

Oct 10, 2016 at 07:33 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Tilt/Shift lens, T/S adapter, or lensbaby

I think the top image is from the T/S lens. It would probably be easier to tell if the images had the same AOV coverage.

Oct 10, 2016 at 08:52 PM
notherenow
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Tilt/Shift lens, T/S adapter, or lensbaby

If you are ONLY using tilt, then it isn't worth getting a lens I think.

From my experience, tilt is often much stronger in camera rather than with a TS lens.

Not a Fuji user but just playing around with my Canon 17 f4 L TS-E and my A7s and the in camera miniature effect is much stronger than using the lens.

I hardly ever use tilt (or miniature effect) but use shift a fair bit but this thread has me interested.

Of course you can always use both a TS lens AND in camera miniature effect (AND shift at the same time as well). Might give that a go this week,

Oct 10, 2016 at 10:37 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Tilt/Shift lens, T/S adapter, or lensbaby

notherenow wrote:
If you are ONLY using tilt, then it isn't worth getting a lens I think.

Using tilt to align the plane of focus with a "feature" plane in the scene (e.g. the ground) allows you to get far more of the scene in sharp focus than stopping down alone could do, and this cannot be simulated or replicated in post-processing. OTOH, all forms of perspective control related to shift (and rise/fall) can be replicated in post-processing, at the expense of lost resolution and AOV coverage, of course.

IOW, the only reason that you really need lens movements, is for tilt.

Oct 10, 2016 at 11:03 PM
notherenow
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Tilt/Shift lens, T/S adapter, or lensbaby

jcolwell wrote:
Using tilt to align the plane of focus with a "feature" plane in the scene (e.g. the ground) allows you to get far more of the scene in sharp focus than stopping down alone could do, and this cannot be simulated or replicated in post-processing. OTOH, all forms of perspective control related to shift (and rise/fall) can be replicated in post-processing, at the expense of lost resolution and AOV coverage, of course.

IOW, the only reason that you really need lens movements, is for tilt.

Tilt isn't something I need a lot but shift in a lens like the 17 f4 L TS-E would be very hard to match in post.

It is expensive and has a huge front element but it is my favourite lens. Useful for both shift and very little distortion as a 17mm lens.

Oct 11, 2016 at 12:50 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Tilt/Shift lens, T/S adapter, or lensbaby

I know. I have the TS-E 17/4L and 24/3.5L II. The wider the lens, the more likely that I'll be using shift. I was just pointing out that using tilt to put a particular plane in focus is the only effect you can't do in PP. Saying it doesn't make sense to get a TS-E lens when all you need is tilt, doesn't make sense.

notherenow wrote:
Tilt isn't something I need a lot but shift in a lens like the 17 f4 L TS-E would be very hard to match in post.

It is expensive and has a huge front element but it is my favourite lens. Useful for both shift and very little distortion as a 17mm lens.

Oct 11, 2016 at 01:22 AM
notherenow
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Tilt/Shift lens, T/S adapter, or lensbaby

jcolwell wrote:
I know. I have the TS-E 17/4L and 24/3.5L II. The wider the lens, the more likely that I'll be using shift. I was just pointing out that using tilt to put a particular plane in focus is the only effect you can't do in PP. Saying it doesn't make sense to get a TS-E lens when all you need is tilt, doesn't make sense.

Ah, ok,

This is with reference to the OPs requirement. For the "miniature effect", in camera works much better than a TS lens tilted in terms of strength of effect.

In camera miniature effect

ILCE-7S    17mm F4 lens    17mm    f/4.0    1/640s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Tilt shift lens tilted.

ILCE-7S    17mm F4 lens    17mm    f/4.0    1/500s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Oct 11, 2016 at 02:23 AM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password