Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Best time to buy Sony FF?

crashwins
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best time to buy Sony FF?

I had the A7ii awhile back on loan and really enjoyed it, but I'm back to my A6000 and D600 for all my work. I'd love to consolidate to all Sony and give that a whirl. My last wedding really clinched it for me when I had borrowed a D810 and used my A6000/55 combo. I could be so much more creative using the smaller, less intrusive Sony and my clients preferred the Sony files over the lauded D810! Of course, this was a daytime wedding, mostly outside; if it were night, I understand the constraints...anyway, I digressed.

The Sony releases lately have me confused a bit. I don't need what the mythical unicorn Sony A9 has. The A7ii or A7Rii have more than enough. The A7ii is also getting a little long in the tooth in the sensor area (it has the same sensor as my D600, no?), though...so I'm interested in the A7Rii. But, FF Sony is going to be an experiment for me so I'm not jumping in with new gear and greater depreciation risk. Ideally, I'd like buy either an A7ii or A7Rii and use it for 6-7 months and if I love it, I'll keep it, but if it's not for me, I'd want to sell it for slight depreciation.

My question is: is it a good time to buy one of these and, if so, which one? Please don't throw out one of those, "just buy your gear to take photos, not resell" responses as we all know that with the increased market saturation and switching of brands, one really has to inform some of his/her decisions with business sense lest we buy a camera, not like it, and lose $1200 overnight....and I DO take a lot of photos, but I'm trying to evolve my style a bit more. But that's my fear with Sony. Eg, I buy the Rii and don't enjoy it, and lose $1000 because the A9 pops up! Anyway, thank you and have a great Friday!

Oct 07, 2016 at 02:26 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best time to buy Sony FF?

Then wait for the A9 to pop so that the A7RII would drop $1000 overnight.... Realistically, can you just rent the camera and spend a bit of time with it to decide? I imagine a couple of weddings would give you a pretty good idea of what it is and what it is not.

Oct 07, 2016 at 02:31 PM
crashwins
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best time to buy Sony FF?

hiepphotog wrote:
Then wait for the A9 to pop so that the A7RII would drop $1000 overnight.... Realistically, can you just rent the camera and spend a bit of time with it to decide? I imagine a couple of weddings would give you a pretty good idea of what it is and what it is not.

I'm being somewhat hyperbolic. I know the Rii won't drop $1000 overnight Sony will likely price the A9, if that's what it's called, pretty high, maybe even much higher than the Rii is new.

I always thought renting was actually a pretty expensive process for a camera like the Rii.

Oct 07, 2016 at 02:43 PM
snapsy
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best time to buy Sony FF?

Traditionally the best time to buy a camera is when after a new replacement model is announced.

Oct 07, 2016 at 02:54 PM
crashwins
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best time to buy Sony FF?

snapsy wrote:
Traditionally the best time to buy a Sony FF is when a new replacement model is announced.

Probably so. Looking like probably months for the "A9" to come around with the A6500 just announced....which is why I'm thinking about the purchase (I was expecting the A7iii replacement this month) and hence this thread.

Btw, $175 to rent the Rii for 6 days, which ain't cheap

Oct 07, 2016 at 02:56 PM
kdrk888
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best time to buy Sony FF?

crashwins wrote:
I had the A7ii awhile back on loan and really enjoyed it, but I'm back to my A6000 and D600 for all my work. I'd love to consolidate to all Sony and give that a whirl. My last wedding really clinched it for me when I had borrowed a D810 and used my A6000/55 combo. I could be so much more creative using the smaller, less intrusive Sony and my clients preferred the Sony files over the lauded D810! Of course, this was a daytime wedding, mostly outside; if it were night, I understand the constraints...anyway, I digressed.

The Sony
...Show more

I would buy used. Won't drop much after a year or so. I bought my AII used a year ago and upgraded to another A7RII, lost $150 after one year, not bad. The A9 will be over $4000, I bet.

Douglas

Oct 07, 2016 at 03:00 PM
crashwins
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best time to buy Sony FF?

I'm thinking you're right on that...The A9, if that's what it's called, will likely be a beast and in a different class from the Rii. Anyone see what the Riis are going for? I'm looking at the forum B/S, but not sure what they actually sell for. Thanks

Edited on Oct 07, 2016 at 03:12 PM · View previous versions

Oct 07, 2016 at 03:05 PM
snapsy
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Best time to buy Sony FF?

crashwins wrote:
Probably so. Looking like probably months for the "A9" to come around with the A6500 just announced....which is why I'm thinking about the purchase (I was expecting the A7iii replacement this month) and hence this thread.

Btw, $175 to rent the Rii for 6 days, which ain't cheap

One thing I've always thought about is whether FM'ers would consider renting their gear to other FM'ers. I'm sure there are situations where a given body or lens is not being used by an owner for an extended period of time but don't want to sell it outright. Maybe you can be a trailblazer and put up a WTB ad on B+S for an extended rental from an owner. Seems like a win-win to me - you'll get a long rental for much less than you could otherwise, and the owner will earn some coin for gear they're not presently using but want to keep. Naturally you'll have to work out terms of how many clicks you expect to put on the body, expected condition on return, etc...

Oct 07, 2016 at 03:05 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Best time to buy Sony FF?

snapsy wrote:
One thing I've always thought about is whether FM'ers would consider renting their gear to other FM'ers. I'm sure there are situations where a given body or lens is not being used by an owner for an extended period of time but don't want to sell it outright. Maybe you can be a trailblazer and put up a WTB ad on B+S for an extended rental from an owner. Seems like a win-win to me - you'll get a long rental for much less than you could otherwise, and the owner will earn some coin for gear they're not presently
...Show more

More headache for both sides if this idea gets more popular. I have had long distance friends letting me borrowing gear before, free of charge no less. But I have to baby the gear more than needed. Both sides better have some good insurances to cover the entire renting process.

Oct 07, 2016 at 03:17 PM
kdrk888
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Best time to buy Sony FF?

crashwins wrote:
I'm thinking you're right on that...The A9, if that's what it's called, will likely be a beast and in a different class from the Rii. Anyone see what the Riis are going for? I'm looking at the forum B/S, but not sure what they actually sell for. Thanks

A good used A7RII should go for around $2500. But I saw 2 listed for around $2300 from a new member recently, looked too good to be true but I didn't see bad feedback from folks who bought them, so I guess it was legit.

Oct 07, 2016 at 03:20 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

realVivek
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Best time to buy Sony FF?

After having bought the A7r at debut price, i bought an A7 and an A 7s at 60% initial price. I skipped all the II iterations and am looking forward to the future offerings.

What is a D600? If that is a Nikon doesn't it leak oil?

Oct 07, 2016 at 03:23 PM
mogul
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Best time to buy Sony FF?

If all the rumours are correct...the A9 will hardly be a good wedding camera (70mpx), a bit of overkill. Even the 7rII with 42 mpx is way more than you need. I shoot wildlife and can justify the 42 in the 99II because I crop a lot.

Oct 07, 2016 at 03:32 PM
crashwins
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Best time to buy Sony FF?

mogul wrote:
If all the rumours are correct...the A9 will hardly be a good wedding camera (70mpx), a bit of overkill. Even the 7rII with 42 mpx is way more than you need. I shoot wildlife and can justify the 42 in the 99II because I crop a lot.

Well, I'm more a lifestyle photog and just do the occasional wedding. The Rii was attractive to me because of the AF ability and adaptability of Canon glass, cont' eye-AF, etc. But maybe the A7ii would suffice....just seemed like that camera got passed by in a lot of ways.

Oct 07, 2016 at 04:05 PM
crashwins
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Best time to buy Sony FF?

realVivek wrote:
After having bought the A7r at debut price, i bought an A7 and an A 7s at 60% initial price. I skipped all the II iterations and am looking forward to the future offerings.

What is a D600? If that is a Nikon doesn't it leak oil?

Lol, not anymore thanks to the lifetime warranty from Nikon....which, btw, I'm sure Sony would never offer

Oct 07, 2016 at 04:06 PM
realVivek
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Best time to buy Sony FF?

crashwins wrote:
Lol, not anymore thanks to the lifetime warranty from Nikon....which, btw, I'm sure Sony would never offer

Life time? nikon? Wow!

Oct 07, 2016 at 08:10 PM
Randolph K

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Best time to buy Sony FF?

No better time than the present. Life isn't guaranteed tomorrow, so enjoy the time you have. And there's always newer and "better" products being released, especially when it comes to electronics. So I'd say just find the best deal you can now and enjoy life with your new camera.

BH has a bunch of used A7rii's for sale right now. That could be a happy compromise due to the peace of mind of buying from a reputable source that will let you return it with no hassle if something is wrong with it. I purchased my used A7ii from BH and it's been a year with no issues at all. It looked like new when I got it.

Oct 07, 2016 at 08:28 PM
crashwins
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Best time to buy Sony FF?

Randolph K wrote:
No better time than the present. Life isn't guaranteed tomorrow, so enjoy the time you have. And there's always newer and "better" products being released, especially when it comes to electronics. So I'd say just find the best deal you can now and enjoy life with your new camera.

BH has a bunch of used A7rii's for sale right now. That could be a happy compromise due to the peace of mind of buying from a reputable source that will let you return it with no hassle if something is wrong with it. I purchased my used A7ii from BH
...Show more

Ugh, they're already gone! But good point

Oct 07, 2016 at 08:55 PM
Randolph K

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Best time to buy Sony FF?

crashwins wrote:
Ugh, they're already gone! But good point

4 used a7rii https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/used/1159878/sony_a7r_mark_ii_digital.html

Oct 07, 2016 at 10:21 PM
crashwins
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Best time to buy Sony FF?

Randolph K wrote:
4 used a7rii https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/used/1159878/sony_a7r_mark_ii_digital.html

Wow, thank you. Funny, when I found them it said zero stock. Does anyone know if they have a warranty period -- BnH, I mean?

Oct 07, 2016 at 10:43 PM
Mathieu18
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Best time to buy Sony FF?

If you don't buy now, check used sites right after Christmas & New Years. Sales are down and trade ins are up. I managed to get an A7II for $975 last year on New Years Day. Wouldn't be surprised if I contemplate an A7RII this year if a similar deal comes along.

Oct 08, 2016 at 02:28 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password