New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Fuji astrophotography

TheEmrys
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fuji astrophotography

So as I sit here recuperating, I have reignited an interest in astrophotography. The last time I looked, it was for my a7II. Having switched to Fuji, are there any here that share this interest? What is a good begining setup? I was hoping to start with a decent telescope and tracking setup. What are easy and somewhat inexpensive options?

I live in Colorado, so I have very easy access to cold, clear nights and 10,000 feet elevation is 90 minutes away year-round. During the summer, I can drive to 13,000' in two hours.

Oct 07, 2016 at 03:26 AM
apsphoto
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fuji astrophotography

I do a lot of astrophotography and I also have a dedicated observatory with a mount and telescope, that uses a cooled ccd camera. I also do some with the Fuji and have been doing a lot of experimenting with some more portable mounts. I personally like wide fields with the Fuji mostly. The Fuji 14mm is really great. The Samyang 12mm is also very nice.

Astrophotography can be very difficult and frustrating with longer focal length, even with a more permanent setup it can be very difficult and extremely frustrating. I really recommend starting with more widefield imaging until you are really happy with it, it can be way more expensive than more terrestrial photography, leaps and bounds more expensive.

A pretty decent very portable mount is a Skywatcher Star Adventurer, it has various adapter that can hold small telescopes but I would recommend starting out with wide fields and camera lenses. The longer the focal length the more critical polar alignment becomes and the more that the atmosphere can cause issues. Tracking and guiding become more critical with longer focal lengths.

Here is a shot with the Star Adventurer, X-T1 with the Rokinon(Samyang) 12mm at f3.5, this is just 2 hours of imaging time using 160 second exposures.
Milkyway_XT1-12-49x160 by Alan Smallbone, on Flickr

I have been doing astroimaging for a long time. So ask away if you have questions.

Alan

Oct 07, 2016 at 02:28 PM
TheEmrys
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fuji astrophotography

That is really good food for thought. I already have the 16/1.4, which should yield some excellent results at f/2. After the new year, I will have to start making some excursions once I am all healed up.

Oct 07, 2016 at 02:41 PM
GiovanniAprea
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fuji astrophotography

Wow, that's quite a photograph!!!

I was almost thinking to go to a dark hill top to try and attempt the Milky Way but you made me change my mind, I better dedicate the X-Pro1 and the 14mm to the usual seascape...

Beautiful image, astonishing!!!

Oct 14, 2016 at 08:25 AM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password