FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2016 · L Bracket for 5DIV

RobDickinson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · L Bracket for 5DIV

Any consensus on which is the best L plate for the 5d4?

Aug 09, 2017 at 09:35 PM
kaitlyn2004
• •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · L Bracket for 5DIV

RobDickinson wrote:
Any consensus on which is the best L plate for the 5d4?

I'm happy enough with my Kirk! Can't really think what one would do better. Some have started embedding a hex int he plate itself? Good in ideation but I just know it wouldn't take long to lose it anyway.

Aug 09, 2017 at 10:40 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · L Bracket for 5DIV

Looks like the RRS ones now are two piece? kirk looks cheaper too

Aug 09, 2017 at 10:47 PM
kaitlyn2004
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · L Bracket for 5DIV

RobDickinson wrote:
Looks like the RRS ones now are two piece? kirk looks cheaper too

Yeah, I don't really like the idea of a two piece. It's just another point of weakness or just another thing to regularly tighten!

Aug 09, 2017 at 10:48 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · L Bracket for 5DIV

"It's just another point of weakness or just another thing to regularly tighten!"

You should actually use one before making that statement. I have the RRS and actually thought it was a one piece design. Well, actually I just forgot it was two because it's so solid that you'd never know it wasn't.

Aug 09, 2017 at 11:05 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · L Bracket for 5DIV

My $20 A7r one is two piece and solid but that doesnt need to hold much weight

Aug 10, 2017 at 02:41 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · L Bracket for 5DIV

kaitlyn2004 wrote:
Yeah, I don't really like the idea of a two piece. It's just another point of weakness or just another thing to regularly tighten!

I do as it gives options for configuration. Plus, I think I have a love affair with zip ties and Blue Loctite.

Aug 10, 2017 at 06:28 AM
jecottrell
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · L Bracket for 5DIV

I purchased a used RRS L plate here on FM prior to even owning the 5D4.

Last week I finally came across a 5D4 here and purchased it so I was finally able to try out the RRS bracket. I initially was disappointed by a usual RRS problem, not being able to access the connections under the vertical leg of the bracket. It's always been a pain trying to get at the rubber doors in the little opening in the L.

After that, I noticed that there's an addition to the top of the L that needs to hook into the strap boss on the body requiring moving the strap from the body to the bracket. Gahhhh.

I went and started reading the reviews on RRS and learned that my complaints were based on ignorance. The two position possibility on the L allows for easy access now and the added support that ties into the strap boss is optional.

I also like the on board storage for the allen wrench, but would prefer a tool-less design.

In the end, I believe that the RRS is an excellent solution even considering the price.

Aug 10, 2017 at 07:40 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · L Bracket for 5DIV

So have my 5d4 now time to look around..

Kirk
promedia
rrs
sunwayfoto
..?

Sep 24, 2017 at 03:12 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · L Bracket for 5DIV

I would just make sure whichever you pick allows cable space in vertical orientation.
After that, it's a matter of price and style. I do have a third party L bracket on my backup camera that does not work with my rrs lever clamp, but is fine with my larger rrs ballhead that has a screw knob.
I have the RRS L bracket on my 5D4 and have liked it since I removed the funky little silver thing that is supposed to help with straps. I had a time getting the L side on otherwise.

Sep 24, 2017 at 03:42 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · L Bracket for 5DIV

dont use straps, I have a lever head (markins qt3) but thats on my backup tripod everything else is screw knobs.

I'll have a look around cheers!

Sep 24, 2017 at 03:51 PM
Roland W
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · L Bracket for 5DIV

The "funky little silver thing" on many of the latest Really Right Stuff L brackets is not to help with straps, but rather to secure the L bracket to the strap lug on the camera, adding extra rigidity to the setup when used in the portrait orientation. For higher resolution cameras, that extra rigidity may help a bit, and I am glad they have offered the option. It can easily be left off if you do not want to use it. When in use, it does have a place to attach a strap, which is needed because the system fully uses the camera strap lug.

Sep 24, 2017 at 04:08 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · L Bracket for 5DIV

Roland W wrote:
The "funky little silver thing" on many of the latest Really Right Stuff L brackets is not to help with straps, but rather to secure the L bracket to the strap lug on the camera, adding extra rigidity to the setup when used in the portrait orientation. For higher resolution cameras, that extra rigidity may help a bit, and I am glad they have offered the option. It can easily be left off if you do not want to use it. When in use, it does have a place to attach a strap, which is needed because the system
...Show more

That's it!

It is a horribly inconvenient doohickey though if one wants to slide out the L side on the fly for extra cable space. Or slide the L back in. Maybe I just didn't fiddle with it enough. I admit I can be spatially challenged at times.

Sep 24, 2017 at 05:32 PM
Roland W
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · L Bracket for 5DIV

If you need to slide the L portion out or back in often, then you should likely leave the little lug attachment piece off of your L bracket, as you have chosen to do. But if you are doing lots of things with the L portion mounted in the in position, like landscape and night photography, and want a bit more sharpness when you are in portrait orinetation, attaching the L leg to the camera using the attachment piece that grips the camera strap lug, that mode is useful. So, work which ever way you want, but hang on to the little part and screw where you can find it in case you choose to use it.

Sep 25, 2017 at 05:29 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · L Bracket for 5DIV

Gone for a $50 sunwayfoto one for now see how it is cheers

Sep 25, 2017 at 07:39 PM
Kenneth Ho

p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · L Bracket for 5DIV

RobDickinson wrote:
Gone for a $50 sunwayfoto one for now see how it is cheers

Have had the Sunwayfoto bracket since March and have been pretty happy with it thus far. Especially for the price.

Sep 25, 2017 at 09:01 PM
Whisle
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · L Bracket for 5DIV

I used the Sunwayfoto bracket from my MKIII and it works fine.

Sep 28, 2017 at 07:15 AM
nputtick

p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · L Bracket for 5DIV

I wanted a one-piece bracket for my 5D4, rather like the 1-piece RRS bracket I had for my 5D3. So I bought the Kirk L-bracket BL5D4. It fits perfectly, is light and unobtrusive. The cord for a front-mounted remote release is not blocked by this bracket.

I did try the RRS 5D3 bracket on the mk4, and considered filing off a few mm to accomodate the battery door, but on looking more closely it needs more modification than that, as the base shape is slightly different, and there's a perceptible gap as a result. To modify it satisfactorily would require some careful machining. I thought it would be better to sell it unmodified and get some money back - as it will also fit a 5DS/R body.

I also have a Kirk baseplate-only arca plate for the 5D3, and this fits the 5D4 just fine - this info might be of use to somebody.

Oct 03, 2017 at 09:53 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · L Bracket for 5DIV

Sunwayfoto bracket has turned up, fits well, looks ok not had chance to use it yet but for $50 its good

Oct 03, 2017 at 02:46 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.