FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2016 · L Bracket for 5DIV

EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · L Bracket for 5DIV

It is nice and quite lightweight.
I wonder why they did not include the second attachment point as with the bracket for the 5D III/5DsR.

EBH

Oct 24, 2016 at 06:42 PM
pjbishop
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · L Bracket for 5DIV

Stan,

About the Kirk L bracket for the 5D IV ( I've ordered the RRS but there is time to cancel ), what's with the two different brackets shown on their page here? Can you tell me the difference? Thanks.

https://www.kirkphoto.com/l-bracket-for-canon-eos-5d-mark-iv.html

Oct 24, 2016 at 07:14 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · L Bracket for 5DIV

pjbishop wrote:
Stan,

About the Kirk L bracket for the 5D IV ( I've ordered the RRS but there is time to cancel ), what's with the two different brackets shown on their page here? Can you tell me the difference? Thanks.

https://www.kirkphoto.com/l-bracket-for-canon-eos-5d-mark-iv.html

The simple, single-piece one is for the body without grip (BL-5D4).
The more complicated one is for the gripped body (BL-5D4G).

EBH

Oct 24, 2016 at 07:20 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · L Bracket for 5DIV

It took about five minutes to file off the offending parts of the RRS single piece 5D3 L bracket, including the very small bit keeping the battery door from fully opening. You also have to hit the lip that comes out in front next to the battery door and just touch the support that rubs on the front left.

Oct 24, 2016 at 11:02 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · L Bracket for 5DIV

Arggh! The cord on the TC-80N3 runs away from the camera in the direction of the bracket when mounted vertically. What was Canon thinking?

EBH

Oct 24, 2016 at 11:19 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · L Bracket for 5DIV

EB-1 wrote:
Arggh! The cord on the TC-80N3 runs away from the camera in the direction of the bracket when mounted vertically. What was Canon thinking?

EBH

The good news is that with this camera I basically never have to use the cable release anymore: for bulb and intervalometer, there's the built in functionality (criminal that the 1DX2 doesn't have it). For simple stability concerns when taking landscape shots I simply use the IR remote, which is wonderful.

Oct 25, 2016 at 12:49 AM
pjbishop
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · L Bracket for 5DIV

Thanks, Stan. So obvious!

Oct 25, 2016 at 03:29 PM
kedan
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · L Bracket for 5DIV

Hey, we actually just finished our L-Bracket for 5D mark IV, in stock now and ready to ship tomorrow (Wednesday), the Gripped version should be ready next week. We manufacture them just outside of Chicago, if you don't know who we are, there are some people on this wonderful forum that do.

http://www.promediagear.com/-Canon-5D-Mark-4-Body-L-Bracket-Arca-Swiss-type_p_292.html

http://promediagear.com/assets/images/PLC5D4-Canon-5D-Mark-IV-4-L-Bracket-Arca-Swiss-type-ProMediaGear-(4).jpg

Oct 25, 2016 at 06:46 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · L Bracket for 5DIV

stanj wrote:
The good news is that with this camera I basically never have to use the cable release anymore: for bulb and intervalometer, there's the built in functionality (criminal that the 1DX2 doesn't have it). For simple stability concerns when taking landscape shots I simply use the IR remote, which is wonderful.

It's a workaround, but not the same way I usually use the camera with a non-collared lens. I typically attach the RS-80N3 rather than the TC-80N3, but it's the same issue. I wonder if there are any 3rd party remote cables with a straight cord.

EBH

Oct 25, 2016 at 06:48 PM
pjbishop
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · L Bracket for 5DIV

The Kirk L-plate for the 5D IV weighs 5.5 oz; the RRS L-Plate assembly for the 5D IV body, no grip, weighs 6.6 oz. I ordered the RRS out of habit - was rethinking in light of info here but too late. It's on its way and I wouldn't return it unless there is a real problem.

Oct 27, 2016 at 01:19 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · L Bracket for 5DIV

There should not be a problem. L brackets outlast cameras. They might be around thousands of years from now.

EBH

Oct 27, 2016 at 06:34 PM
DougVaughn
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · L Bracket for 5DIV

Just returned from my Bryce Canyon / Zion trip shooting with the 5DIV for a week. I used my 5DIII grip will no ill effects other than a minor annoyance when changing the battery. As far as battery life, I found it to be as good as the 5DIII was, and I had GPS on the whole time. I set the GPS to not update while the camera was off and only update every 2 minutes otherwise. Worked like a charm since it's always a few minutes between locations for any distance that matters. I also couldn't have asked for better image quality, as long as I did my part.

Oct 27, 2016 at 07:22 PM
kaitlyn2004
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · L Bracket for 5DIV

EB-1 wrote:
I wonder why they did not include the second attachment point as with the bracket for the 5D III/5DsR.

EBH

I don't have the 5D4 bracket yet but I asked kirk the same question, what I got back was:

It was not needed with the IV design.

I didn't love the 2-piece design even though I wasn't removing it often, but how do you guys find the single-piece plate? Is it tight enough around the side of the 5D4? No issues still attaching to the strap mount there? (the 5d3 "added" a new strap mount)

Jan 21, 2017 at 01:19 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · L Bracket for 5DIV

kaitlyn2004 wrote:
I don't have the 5D4 bracket yet but I asked kirk the same question, what I got back was:

I didn't love the 2-piece design even though I wasn't removing it often, but how do you guys find the single-piece plate? Is it tight enough around the side of the 5D4? No issues still attaching to the strap mount there? (the 5d3 "added" a new strap mount)

The Kirk 5D IV solid L bracket has been working very well for me. I like that it is narrower, making storage on end easier in backpacks. My 5D III plate is on the 5DsR, which makes a bit more sense with the higher resolution.

The only annoyance with the 5D IV is the stupid angle of the remote cable which exists against the lower left edge of the body and can interfere with centering the A-S clamp. With the camera in the vertical orientation, the offset from dead center is about 3mm with the large RRS clamp and not an issue with smaller clamps. Perhaps an L bracket that extends 20-25 mm from the body would allow safe bending of the cable, but Canon should re-orient the cable release socket so that the cable runs vertically in the direction of the Mark IV badge. The slight offset doesn't affect anything for single shots, and the clamp of the RRS pano rails are smaller/narrower so there is no issue with alignment.

EBH

Jan 21, 2017 at 01:56 PM
kaitlyn2004
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · L Bracket for 5DIV

EB-1 wrote:
The Kirk 5D IV solid L bracket has been working very well for me. I like that it is narrower, making storage on end easier in backpacks. My 5D III plate is on the 5DsR, which makes a bit more sense with the higher resolution.

The only annoyance with the 5D IV is the stupid angle of the remote cable which exists against the lower left edge of the body and can interfere with centering the A-S clamp. With the camera in the vertical orientation, the offset from dead center is about 3mm with the large RRS clamp and not an
...Show more

Hmm seems like a design flaw as you describe it. I THINK I follow but could you take a photo or something showing the problem?

Jan 21, 2017 at 02:10 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · L Bracket for 5DIV

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

It was not needed with the IV design.

kaitlyn2004 wrote:

EB-1 wrote:

The only annoyance with the 5D IV is the stupid angle of the remote cable which exists against the lower left edge of the body and can interfere with centering the A-S clamp. With the camera in the vertical orientation, the offset from dead center is about 3mm with the large RRS clamp and not an
...Show more
kaitlyn2004 wrote:
Hmm seems like a design flaw as you describe it. I THINK I follow but could you take a photo or something showing the problem?

Unfortunately I had some issue with the B&S pay system years ago and can no longer post.
It's not necessary to have an L bracket on the camera to see the stupidity of the design.
I will send a PM.

EBH

Jan 21, 2017 at 02:17 PM
Jim McCann
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · L Bracket for 5DIV

According to an email I got my RRS 5D IV bracket is in transit.

Jan 21, 2017 at 02:21 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · L Bracket for 5DIV

EB-1 wrote:
GPS will suck the juice.

EBH

Not on the 5D Mark IV...

Jan 24, 2017 at 11:15 AM
Jim McCann
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · L Bracket for 5DIV

Got my RRS L-Bracket for my 5D IV yesterday. Unremarkable except for the interesting way it hooks onto the existing strap bracket and replaces it with their own. No complaints. Same as usual with RRS products.

Jan 24, 2017 at 11:54 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · L Bracket for 5DIV

Shutterbug wrote:
The RRS L bracket for the 5D3 fits, the problem is it extends a bit too far and blocks the opening of the battery door.
Solution, grind it off.

I've done that. I'm using the regular RSS plate for the 5Dc on my 5D4. There was a lip that needed to be filed off. Still have the same one for m 7D2 I think I had with my 30D.

I have an L I think I got for my 5D2. I stopped using the L bracket but I'll see if I can MacGyver it.

Jan 24, 2017 at 12:21 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.