New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

L Bracket for 5DIV

DougVaughn
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · L Bracket for 5DIV

My 5DIV will arrive tomorrow, and I'm heading on a photography vacation in a week. I usually bite the bullet and invest in an RRS L bracket, but they aren't out yet. Has anyone with a 5DIV found a good interim solution? I'd hate to set out for some serious landscape work without one. Thanks!

Oct 07, 2016 at 03:06 AM
Shutterbug
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · L Bracket for 5DIV

The RRS L bracket for the 5D3 fits, the problem is it extends a bit too far and blocks the opening of the battery door.
Solution, grind it off.

Oct 07, 2016 at 08:44 AM
eddieb

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · L Bracket for 5DIV

Kirk Enterprises just released an L bracket for the 5DIV. Looks pretty good. Got an email from them this morning.

Oct 07, 2016 at 12:44 PM
DougVaughn
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · L Bracket for 5DIV

Thanks, I'll check out the one from Kirk. I have a 5D3 bracket and was afraid the shape wouldn't fit. I can live with blocking the battery door since they tend not to eat batteries too quickly. Probably don't want to grind it off as it still have some resale value.

Oct 07, 2016 at 01:50 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · L Bracket for 5DIV

I also ordered the Kirk already. On 9/13 they replied that it would be available in 4-5 weeks, but who knows exactly. I think RRS forces the more expensive and complex modular system, rather than the single piece like Kirk.

For now I'm only using the 5D IV for teles. The 5DsR is still fine for landscapes.

EBH

Oct 07, 2016 at 11:07 PM
gvg45
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · L Bracket for 5DIV

DougVaughn wrote:
Thanks, I'll check out the one from Kirk. I have a 5D3 bracket and was afraid the shape wouldn't fit. I can live with blocking the battery door since they tend not to eat batteries too quickly. Probably don't want to grind it off as it still have some resale value.

I'm finding the 5DIV batteries are draining significantly quicker than the 5D3.

Oct 07, 2016 at 11:17 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · L Bracket for 5DIV

gvg45 wrote:
I'm finding the 5DIV batteries are draining significantly quicker than the 5D3.

Is that when the LP-E6N is in the camera, but the camera is idle for several days?

EBH

Oct 08, 2016 at 12:50 AM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · L Bracket for 5DIV

eddieb wrote:
Kirk Enterprises just released an L bracket for the 5DIV. Looks pretty good. Got an email from them this morning.

Weird. For me, it lists it for $0, which is unlikely their actual selling price. But the good news is that it will be back in stock on 1/1/1970 Plus it won't let me log into my account anyway, so I guess there's more than one thing that's broken. But yes, Kirk over the two-part RRS for sure.

I still have the 5D3 Kirk L-plate sitting around, but I'm not sure if I should trust the fitment...

Oct 08, 2016 at 02:39 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · L Bracket for 5DIV

My Kirk 5D III L bracket is on the 5DsR now. I have a Markins L bracket around too, but would not want to physically stress the camera with something that is not designed for the shape. It's only a few more weeks.

EBH

Oct 08, 2016 at 02:50 AM
gvg45
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · L Bracket for 5DIV

EB-1 wrote:
Is that when the LP-E6N is in the camera, but the camera is idle for several days?

EBH

To be honest, I haven't even paid much attention to whether the battery has been draining excessively while the camera has sat idle. I've just been shooting and noticed the battery indicator has been at half after shooting for a few hours. I have been using an older LP-E6 from my 5D3. I'm going to try using the LP-E6N and see if I notice a difference.

Oct 08, 2016 at 04:22 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

kmorvant
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · L Bracket for 5DIV

gvg45 wrote:
To be honest, I haven't even paid much attention to whether the battery has been draining excessively while the camera has sat idle. I've just been shooting and noticed the battery indicator has been at half after shooting for a few hours. I have been using an older LP-E6 from my 5D3. I'm going to try using the LP-E6N and see if I notice a difference.

I've noticed that the batteries are going down faster in the IV as well. I will test the LP-E6N as well. Do you think it could be because of some of the new features such
...Show more

Oct 08, 2016 at 02:44 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · L Bracket for 5DIV

GPS will suck the juice.

EBH

Oct 08, 2016 at 04:40 PM
gvg45
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · L Bracket for 5DIV

kmorvant wrote:
I've noticed that the batteries are going down faster in the IV as well. I will test the LP-E6N as well. Do you think it could be because of some of the new features such as GPS and WiFi?

I'm sure GPS and WiFi will drain the battery quicker, but I have those features turned off.

Oct 08, 2016 at 08:46 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · L Bracket for 5DIV

Kirk is shipping the BL-5D4 today.

EBH

Oct 20, 2016 at 01:26 PM
d4mike

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · L Bracket for 5DIV

FYI KIrk has more ready to ship Oct 25th.

Oct 23, 2016 at 01:00 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · L Bracket for 5DIV

EB-1 wrote:
GPS will suck the juice.

EBH

On that O/T note, I do wonder if Canon has improved the battery drain of their GPS implementation. On the 6D, I found it a bit too leachy and too slow to acquire a signal in less than open-sky territory.

Oct 23, 2016 at 01:06 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · L Bracket for 5DIV

According to the manual:

The EOS 5D Mark IV (WG) can receive satellite navigation signals from GPS satellites (USA), GLONASS satellites (Russia), and Quasi-Zenith Satellite System (QZSS) "Michibiki" (Japan).

EBH

Oct 23, 2016 at 07:01 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · L Bracket for 5DIV

I have the "proper" 5D4 Kirk L-bracket on my 5D4 and it fits nicely. I want a full L-bracket so I have no need for a removable L-piece that the RRS one has.

Oct 24, 2016 at 03:59 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · L Bracket for 5DIV

stanj wrote:
I have the "proper" 5D4 Kirk L-bracket on my 5D4 and it fits nicely. I want a full L-bracket so I have no need for a removable L-piece that the RRS one has.

Did your L bracket arrive Friday or do you have a special source?

EBH

Oct 24, 2016 at 04:02 AM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · L Bracket for 5DIV

stanj wrote:

EB-1 wrote:
Did your L bracket arrive Friday or do you have a special source?

EBH

It arrived Saturday via usps priority mail.

Oct 24, 2016 at 01:59 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password