New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Those who have the 100-400 v. II...Foot Question

Eric Larsen
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Those who have the 100-400 v. II...Foot Question

I read a number of threads about the foot mount on the v. II 100-400 coming loose. This isn't a matter of the factory foot coming loose from the block to which it attaches but the block itself (which is attached to the ring) coming loose from the ring.

I read where folks were successfully taking-out the four little screws holding the block to the ring and putting some Loctite Blue on them to keep them from coming out. I thought I'd do the same before attaching the new Kirk replacement foot I just picked up for tripod mounting.

I couldn't get the screws out! Does this mean Canon fixed the problem, I'm not trying hard enough, or need to hit the gym? I wanted to do this fix before taking the lens on a trip but perhaps it's a fix that is no longer necessary(?).

Oct 07, 2016 at 03:04 AM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Those who have the 100-400 v. II...Foot Question

I decided to just keep an eye on mine, but I don't use the foot very much anyway.

Make sure you have the Japanese Industrial Standard (JIS) screwdrivers. I think regular Phillips screwdrivers are more likely to strip the head, especially if you are applying a lot of torque.

Mark

Oct 07, 2016 at 03:23 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Those who have the 100-400 v. II...Foot Question

I carry it over the shoulder quite a lot and have not had any failures. The few times the foot has a been just a little loose, it has been an issue with the main screw, not the four tiny screws.

EBH

Oct 07, 2016 at 03:26 AM
EGrav
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Those who have the 100-400 v. II...Foot Question

No problem with mine.

Oct 07, 2016 at 03:37 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Those who have the 100-400 v. II...Foot Question

If it ain't broken.

Oct 07, 2016 at 04:23 AM
Eric Larsen
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Those who have the 100-400 v. II...Foot Question

Well, it was more of a pre-emptive idea!

Would dislike this happening on a shoot!

Oct 07, 2016 at 05:22 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

arbitrage
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Those who have the 100-400 v. II...Foot Question

I thought most people reported the wheel loosening not the 4 screws coming loose. If you can't budge those screws then I wouldn't worry about it. I have a Kirk replacement on mine and that eliminated the wheel attachment but I believe I'd still have the 4 screws. I carry mine by the foot all the time and haven't had any issues. I wouldn't be worried.

Oct 07, 2016 at 07:47 AM
John_T
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Those who have the 100-400 v. II...Foot Question

The four screws came loose on mine a couple of times, so I took the Loctite trip. Just got to be careful the Loctite does not run down into the ring run. Now seems solid as a rock.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1424879/2#13524052

Oct 07, 2016 at 08:08 AM
shutterbug guy
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Those who have the 100-400 v. II...Foot Question

I replaced mine with the RRS replacement foot and had forgotten all about the issues of the original foot coming loose until now. I like that I don't have to attach an arca swiss styled plate to mount it to my tripod heads or monopod.

BTW, I did touch the four little screws with blue loctite.

Just in case you're curious, a link.

Oct 07, 2016 at 09:12 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Those who have the 100-400 v. II...Foot Question

I disassembled the foot and support structure on my 100-400L IS II for one of the early threads on this topic,

[100-400L IS II foot fail warning] http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1357309/4#12960523

I used blue Loctite when I put it back together, but it probably doesn't matter because I almost never use the foot. It's usually in a pocket of the bag that the lens lives in, as it's an almost exclusively handheld lens, for me.

Oct 07, 2016 at 09:55 AM
newphoto
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Those who have the 100-400 v. II...Foot Question

Use mine on a monopod. I had a problem with the wheel coming loose on the original foot, just couldn't tighten it enough. Bought a Kirk replacement foot and no problems.

Oct 07, 2016 at 01:19 PM
Eric Larsen
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Those who have the 100-400 v. II...Foot Question

Thanks so much for all of the responses! I quite appreciate it!

I'm leaning toward not worrying about it (given I cannot currently loosen the screws intentionally) and taking a screw driver and loctite with me. Good to hear all of the responses.

I suspect Canon fixed this from the initial problems last year.

Oct 08, 2016 at 03:47 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password